New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lead, again...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I had the weather channel on while cooking supper tonight and they were running one of those warm fuzzy "ecology" segments dealing with recycling electronics. My attention was drawn to the comment that the typical computer monitor contains four pounds of lead!

Well to put that in relation to the present lead bullet scare... there are 7000 grains in a pound or 28,000 grains of lead in one computer monitor. In terms of bullets that's 187 one hundred-fifty grain bullets. More than an avid American big game hunter will shoot in a lifetime in the field let alone the average three or four day a year hunter.

The moral to this story is that ONE computer monitor poses more of a threat than several dozen hunters! Let's start a campaign to ban computers and see how many people climb on the bandwagon!

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back when I had more time and even less money than I do now, I tried melting down wheel weights and even a battery for bullets. Maybe I should try melting down a computer monitor.

The darn things are certainly heavy enough.

Liberals believe that criminals are just like them and guns cause crimes. Conservatives believe criminals are different and that it is the criminals that cause crimes. Maybe both are right and the solution is to keep guns away from liberals.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting point! maybe we should ban computer monitors instead of lead shot for waterfowl? To play devil's advocate, I've killed and recovered over 100 big game animals in my first 15 years of big game hunting. half eastern whitetails, the rest hogs, african game, or western game. SO I'm pretty sure I've already shot over 200 times at game in the field at this point, not that it matters to your point.

Andy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't quite fathom that there is 4 pounds of lead in a computer monitor but the tube is the heavy part as it is made of lead crystal glass and considered hazardous. That other lead would be in the form of solder.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 344 | Location: Bean Town in the worthless nut state | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
There is very little lead in the glass they use for CRTs. The bulk of the lead will be contained in the shielding of the electron gun. The hasardous material in them is the phosphorescent coating on the inside of the screen.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote