New
Find
Notify
Tools

German Hunting Laws
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Are there restrictions regarding calibre for Boar. I note RWS have 7mm as the minimum. Is this based on law or common sense - more specificaly can my friend use a 6.5x55 with heavy 156gr bullets? He loves mine and wants to have exactly the same built unless there are signicant legal shortcomings.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BER007
posted Hide Post

May be I'm wrong but in Germany like in Belgium the minimum legal caliber for hunting is 6.5 caliber.

Posts: 831 | Location: BELGIUM | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I don't think so. I remember picking up a lapua 243 case out of a Hochsitz a couple of years ago, wondering what had been shot with it. FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I belive .222 rem was the smallest caliber legal for Roe deer ( min energy at 100 m ). I belive the .243 Win is not legal for Chamois in Germany ( min 6.5 mm, 256 illegal! ), but it is for sure legal in Austria.

Does this mean Austrian Chamois are smaller or easier to hunt, or that German hunters need bigger bullets for the same game or that Austrian hunters shoot better ? ;-)

Hermann

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For Roe deer and seal the demand is 1000 Joule at 100m. No diameter mentioned. If you have a .17 which has this 1000Joule then it is allowed.

For all other like boar, red-deer, chamois.. the demand for diameter is 6,5 or bigger and minimum 2000 Joule at 100m.
Don’t ask me why for chamois it is also valid. But a lot of political decisions and laws are not based on logical reasons.

So the 6,5x55 is allowed, no problem.
The 6,5x54 Mannlicher Sch�nauer is a problem to get them over 2000J but it is possible.

Best regards

[ 06-26-2002, 12:24: Message edited by: Sauenj�ger1 ]

Posts: 147 | Location: Germany | Registered: 16 June 2002Reply With Quote