Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A question for you all.
 Login/Join

posted
First, this is my first post. I have to say I love this website.I am not a kiss ass either. The discussions I have read and the videos I have watched have kicked butt.There are many blessed men on here.The trips you have taken and the animals you have beem able to get are awsome.I sure as hell hope you all appreciate what you have been able to do.People love to go on some of the trips you have.If I cannot go, I want people like you all to go.That way through your stories I can go there in my minds eye.Chessy as hell but I hope you get my point.

Now that the blah blah blah is over. I have a question for you.What manufactured ammo would you suggest to hunt whitetail and hog in a 300 win mag gun.Some would say that is too much gun. Some also might say any ammo in a 300 win mag will do. I want the best thats out there. I figured this would be the place to find out.On my hunting club property I will prob never take a shot over 300 yards.Most are prob. be within 200 yards.

Thanks and sorry for the long ass post I have had a few. Wink

I30

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Irish30,
Welcome to the AR forums. You will meet some of the nicest people on here, and will be able to read more people's experience and what they wished was experience than you will likely have time for.
I handload for a 30-06, and don't buy any loaded amunition, but I think if you went with a Federal Premium with a 180 gr. bullet (less meat damage), or tried to find something with a Swift A-frame or a Sirroco in it, you will do well. Mostly you don't really NEED magnums, but if you can shoot them well and confidently, they can be a lot better than smaller calibers.
Regards,
Graham

Posts: 264 | Location: Northern BC, Canada | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
The 300 win mag is a great cartridge.

Also I like the federal premium loads too. Any thing in 180 grains will do great. Premium or not.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
Try several brands. You may find one your gun really likes more than the others. I agree with the 180 grain recommendations.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love my 300 win mag and have used on deer, hog and Africa game. I use the Hornady 165gr interbond which seems to shoot best from my rifle. But try several brands and types and see which works best for your rifle.

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Contrary to some's opinion that they won't kill an overgrown gopher, I use a 300 WM 165 Nosler Ballistic Tip on hogs and deer quite successfully. They are quite accurate in this particular rifle, a custom M70 with Shilen barrel. IF I was only going to hunt hogs with it, I might use a Nosler Partition, wt not a factor, or similar bullet with a bit more penetration than the Ballistic Tips.

However, I've killed at least 10 whitetails and over a dozen hogs with the 165 BTs without losing an animal.

The .300 WM is not my daily carry rifle, I mostly carry a Savage 99 in .308 which kills them plenty dead enough using Norma 130 gr Factory ammo.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
For Whitetail deer I like a 150gr bullet. For hogs I think 180 is probably better. So for the all around in a factory offering the "best" is going to be what ever your gun shoots the best. With a 300 winnie you have a world of factory ammo all are capable of taking whitetails and pigs. I would find the one that groups the best and be happy.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Federal Premium is just hard to beat. I would go after the 165 to 180 range and make the choice according to what is most accurate in your rifle. Local availability is also a consideration.

High velocity impresses friend and forums. Accuracy kills.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Welcome Irish, surely you can seperate the blarney from the blasphamy! Those of us that have given up our homosexual tendancies and or been removed from various governmental lists do enjoy meaningful discoarse here occasionally.

Wink

Welcome.

On the .300 Win, a quality bullet, such as a bonded or partition of at least 180 grains.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome - I use 180 gr. Barnes Triple Shocks by Federal for deer, hogs and elk.

Posts: 10273 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the Federal Vital Shok in the 200 gr. Nosler Partition, which they just quit making. I'm gonna play around with a few others, but right now I have ten boxes of the Noslers and will use them. My gun absolutely loves them.

Posts: 659 | Location: Texas | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With Quote