THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    450 Marlin recoil in typical Lever Action

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

450 Marlin recoil in typical Lever Action
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Gonzo FreakPower
posted
Suddenly I'm interested in the 450 Marlin. I wonder if someone could share their experience with the recoil on this one, maybe compare it to another few rifle/caliber combos. And, is a non-braked guide gun advisable or even available?

Also, would the 450 ruin deer meat? If I had a 450 I might possibly use it for deer in the woods, but I intend to eat it. So if a 30-30 is enough for deer I'd like to know if the 450 is more like a bazooka.

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
I've never shot a 450 Marlin in a Guide Gun, so take this for what it's worth.

According to the recoil energy, a 450 Marlin w/350 gr. bullets should kick in between what a 300 Mag/200 gr. & a 338 Mag/225 gr. would do. This is based on 8 lb. rifles.

Marlin 1895M's are non-ported now, and so are there heavier 1895MR.

With a 350 gr. @ 2000 fps, they 450 would probably ruin less meat than a 30-30 w/150 gr. @ 2300 fps. They are slower bullets designed for heavier game, and should ruin less meat. This depends on shot placement though.

The 450 ought to exit on almost any shot on deer, and leave a good blood trail. That is, if they even take a step. [Eek!]

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/

http://www.realguns.com/calc/recoil

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a Marlin 1895M in .450 Marlin. The first time I took it to the range I only managed 5 shots before my sholder was too sore. I replaced the buttpad and got used to shooting the thing. Now I can shoot it all day long with no ill effects. Due to the design of the stock it is not the most comfortable rifle to shoot. But I love the way it balances in my hand while carrying it.

I have only shot one deer with it and I was using Alaska Bullet Works heavy jacket bullets. They punched right hrough like a solid. No meat damage!. If I were to do it again I think I would go with the 45-70. It is easier to find factory ammo and you can load them up to .450 Marlin level

Posts: 355 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have fired both the 45-70 Guide gun and the 450 Marlin. If you reload either is a fine proposition. I think the edge though goes to the 45-70 as the more powerful depending on load. It has a larger case and no belt to take up powder space. They are basically balistic identicals. As for recoil factory load comparison, the one 450 Load is more punishing, but similarly or hotly loaded the 45-70 will put out as much as 66lb ft of energy in recoil.

I have the 45-70, but started out wanting the 450M. go to Marlin talk (marlinfirearms.com) and search 450 vs 45-70 and see what comes up. Best wishes.

Posts: 257 | Location: Long Beach | Registered: 25 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've shot my 450 Marlin quite a bit and don't find the recoil to be too bad. You have to have a hold of it, that's for sure. Muzzle jump is pretty bad, not not unreasonable. I enjoy shooting mine. I'd say the recoil is about the same as my 375 H&H Mag.

I tipped over a Bison with it last year and my father used it last week on one as well. Both one shot kills. I'm going to try and use it for elk next fall.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just shot my 1895m 450 marlin, it wsn't what I thought it would be. Now there were no doubt when the gun went off. The only thing I have to shoot is hornady's 350gr fp. As far as recoil, to me it was like a 338 win with 225-250, not something I want to shoot hundreds of rounds a week, the only thing is the blast from the ports is a little mean standing beside the shooter, behind the gun the noise isn't that bad. Having said that I love the gun & cal. Reloading dies should be here by the end the week. Anybody have data/experience with aa2015br,h335,re7,with 300gr Remington hp?? Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanx

Posts: 91 | Location: Milan Tenn. | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
<jvmeus>
posted
the 450 it not to bad for recoil. just dont shoot it on the bench with out some extra padding. it is awsome on game. if you reload try some 400 plus grain soft points with slow powder. it makes the recoil more of a shove than a kick.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Josh Tharpe,

If you haven't gone to Marlin talk yet do so. There are plenty of great guys over there that will help fillout your load books. I had several guys just e mailing me their pet loads for 45-70 after posting a few comments and questions.

www.marlinfirearms.com click Marlin Talk on the top banner and choose Big Bores forum.

Posts: 257 | Location: Long Beach | Registered: 25 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Recoil is a subjective thing, and we have no idea what one person finds abusive. One thing I can say.. if you get one, replace the factory recoil pad. I had an 18" ported guide gun, with the factory pad. I had the barrel cut to 16 1/4" and added a Kick-Eez Jr. reacoil pad. It has a good deal LESS felt recoil now, even with the porting gone and the shorter barrel.

As to destroying meat, if you hit them in the right spot, you won't ruin any. A big permanant hole may do less meat damage than the large temporary wound cavity of a high velocity expanding rifle bullet. It's been my experiance that 12 slugs ruin less meat than high vel rifles. The hole is bigger, but the blood shot damaged meat around the hole is less.

[ 03-04-2003, 07:27: Message edited by: cas ]

Posts: 723 | Location: Ny | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a new Guide Gun in .45-70 that isn't ported. While the 2 cartridges aren't interchangeable they are ballistic twins for all intents and purposes.

Mine weighs about 7.25# with the Leupold Compact I put on it.

Recoil with 405g bullets exceeding 1800 fps feels about like a .375 H&H Magnum to me. Far stronger than the .300 Magnums of the world. It doesn't help that Marlin puts those little thin stocks on the Guide Guns!

I've yet to kill a deer with mine since I just got it - but I did shoot a coyote and man that was just plain gross. Head shot with a 300g Remington loaded to 2200 fps.

Posts: 498 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 13 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a marlin 45/70 and with 400's and the standard butt plate it's a bruiser. But I am used to it. With a better pad it would be much nicer. Marlin levers are great guns !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote