New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moose Calls
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone around had experience with moose calls? I rx'd one I ordered today and esssentially all it is is a megaphone. In the instructions it states you have to vibrate your lips to make the sounds. No reed or diaphram at all. Is this the way all of them are? So far, I've had zero luck in getting any realistic moose sounds out of it. If I had it to do over again, I would just make one, with no sound producing device in it, there's not much to it. Thanks For Any and All Comments Ray

Posts: 106 | Location: Aurora, CO | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

There are several instructional moose calling tapes on the market. Buy one and try to do your own calls just with your mouth and hands. It's quite simple and it really works. The megaphone you bought is good for directing the call and listening for a response once your learn to call.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12873 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
I'm no expert, but many in New England use a homemade call consisting of a 1 lb. coffee can opened at one end and a leather shoestring that's moistened and pulled through a hole on the closed end of the can. I'll look for a link if you like, but you should be able to Google it up.

Here's one.

http://usscouts.org/ab/ab2.cgi?action=view_activity&a_id=32

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
here moose, here moose, o chit its gonna be a long day

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a moose call last year, and though it helped in getting an amplified bull challenge call, I could not get a good cow call out of the darn thing. It has a reed, like a saxophone. I can get a good elk bugle out of the thing!

I didn't take it on my hunt, practiced to get a good cow moose call by using nothing but my hands and voice. Turned the departing bull. Freezer full.

Get a good tape, listen, imitate. Should work.

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Where I hunt in Quebec everyone uses the birchbark calls made by the Indians.

Posts: 207 | Location: Nicolet National Forest, WI, USA | Registered: 21 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mighty Peace
posted Hide Post
Never used an off the shelf moose call. As mentioned the birch bark cone to rennisonce the call but thats it. Just make with your voice the bull grunts and wines of a cow lookin/calling that she is ready. Most of the time I dont carry the homemade birch bark cone-gave it to a buudy at camp.

Best thing is get out in the bush during the rut, listen to the bulls and cows calling and imitate them. Its quite the rush having a bull moose charge in! Inheavy timber all you hear is the bush crashing and the antlers on the tree branches coming to get you.

Some people have tried the string attached to the bottom of a tin coffee can. Never did it myself, but heard it works for the cow call.

Posts: 431 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote