Find
Notify
Tools

Reciol pads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey Folks,
I've been looking into replacing my recoil pad. At Midway's web site rhe Remington R3 is getting rave reviews wile the Pachmeyer Decelerator has not recieved any comment. Would any of you be willing to comment on experiences?
Thanks
Gene

Posts: 125 | Location: Altus, OK,USA | Registered: 30 March 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I can't comment on the Remington R3, since I've never used it or examined it.

I've always considered Pachmayr pads to be the best available. Pachmayr is THE standard in recoil pads. They are well-built, have a tasteful appearance, finish out well, perform and last extremely well. I have had excellent results with the regular Presentation and Old English pads, and I must have a dozen rifles equipped with the Decelerator, and this starts with a .270 Win. and ends with a .416 Rem. My only gripe against the Decelerator is that Pachmayr has not offered it in red, but I'm happy to say that now they do.....

AD

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
I'll provide a report on the R3 when I get back on June 7 from my stag/tahr hunt in New Zealand. I'm taking a Mod. 700 Titanium 7mm SAUM over for "testing," and it came with the R3 pad installed. -TONY

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not used the new r3 but I have the decellerator on several of my rifles and it does a fine job of reducing recoil.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cwilson
posted Hide Post
I put a R3 pad on my 870 in order to reduce the recoil of the 3 1/2" magnum loads. I can say that it made a very noticible difference in felt recoil.

Posts: 713 | Location: Boswell, PA, USA | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input guys,
Tony I'm looking foreward to your input next month. I hope the decelerator has some serious competition to keep the products improving.
Gene

Posts: 125 | Location: Altus, OK,USA | Registered: 30 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Gene,

I'm also taking my .264 WM with me, but plan to shoot the 7mm some, too. Even if the SAUM seems tame, though, it can't be a very true test of the recoil pad because I didn't have a chance to shoot the same rifle sans pad. -TONY

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
I really like the Decelerators I have.

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have both the Decelorator and the Sims (r3). I think the Decleorator looks better and will probably prove to be more rugged in the long term. However the sims is very, very soft and it works very well. If your looking for reduction on a hard core kicker the sims is going to be your best bet.

Posts: 135 | Location: Southern Oregon | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The R3 pad (not a Remington product) is very good, a bit better actually than the superb Decelerator. Another extremely good pad (better than the Decelerator, too) is the Kick-Eez, BUT, the Kick-Eez is a bit more suceptable to tearing under rough use (I've not had any problems, but others have). It also is more difficult to grind, but an excellent pad from the recoil absorption standpoint..

Posts: 747 | Location: Nevada, USA | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of kk
posted Hide Post
I have a Decelerator on my .338WM. I installed it as the first step in taming this fairly infamous kicker. The next step was to intall a brake if needed. After the Decelerator, there was no need to install the brake. My biggest day at the range so far has been 30 rounds. The load was a 250 gr. SKG pushed by up to 70 gr. of H4831. I could have kept going, but I had done what I intended in testing different loads.
I can't say one way or the other about the R3. I am, however, a fan of the Decelerator.
Also, softer is not necessarily better.

kk

Posts: 1224 | Location: Southern Ontario, Canada | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I have Pac. Dec. pads on all of my rilfes. They work, they're durable, why change?

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with "allen day". I have Pachmyar Decelerators on all my rifles. Reason is they work, PERIOD. Lawdog

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have both on my rifles, the Pac works and looks great, the Sims limbsaver seems to be more effective at reducing recoil (that is the pad on the Rem R3), but it doesnt look quite as nice. I need another pad on my 300 win and it will get the limbsaver.

Posts: 492 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

I am a big fan of the Sims Limbsaver. I have them on my Ruger .416 Rigby and a Marlin Guide Gun 45-70. They work very well.

Posts: 643 | Location: DeRidder, Louisiana USA | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll saecond the above post. made a big difference o my guide gun with heavy loads. I went from about 30 at the bench before severe flinching to over 50. Totally reduced any bruising I would normally see. Much more comfortable to shoot now and I am not overtly recoil shy.

Posts: 257 | Location: Long Beach | Registered: 25 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
Yep. Sting from the bench hurts lots worse than field positions, plus 1 shot vs. 10+.....

Helps reduce the flinch, and that is always conducive to better shooting!

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an R3, and it is better than most pads, but the most effective recoil protection must be worn by the shooter, not stuck on the butt of a rifle. This is because the pad on the butt can only have a limited amount of area over which to distribute force, and the pad you wear can be three times as much.

Before you spend a lot of money on a pad to wear, note that the best one is likely to be one you make out of neoprene....forget all the high tech hype, and just fold over one of those neoprene weight loss belts eonugh times to make it 1 inch thick, and wear it under a shirt. Felt recoil with my 375 RUM is reduced OVER 50% and the R3 pad is about half that.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote