New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Bullet Failures?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm sorry but I failed to relate the position of the animal as it was told to me. The elk was quartered away at 80 yards. The rifle was a 300 Win Mag and the bullet entered just behind the diaphram and angled across the animal to stop in the off shoulder. I would say that the bullet performed admirably despite the owner's contention of a failure. Mart

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Amen Frank Amen!!!!!

Posts: 548 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with your freinds take on the situation.

So many people here obsess and worry about the most minute variables of our sport. I'm surely guilty as well but seldom to the level I see here at times.

Have a friend who has hunted the world with many different calibers. He is very reflective on his various hunts and has a memory like a steel trap. He has stated several times that between the .270/.280 or .30-06, all factors being equal, he has never seen any difference in their ability to penetrate and kill. And for the smaller species he throws in the .25-06 too.

Many years ago I asked him what ONE piece of wisdom he would pass down on hunting worldwide. He stated; "It ALL boils down to PLACEMENT". With thirty plus years under my belt and some guiiding experience I think he is 110% correct.

I think if the average hunter worried more about his shooting skills, used any of the .308 or .30-06 based cartridges and stopped obsessing on retained weight,BT or NP, belted or non belted, and a dozen other things they would be far more succesful hunters.

FN in MT

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote