THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Paul H - I agree with you about his holiness General Craig B.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Paul H - I agree with you about his holiness General Craig B.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Boddington's articles are devoid of substance or insight. He uses a lot of words that add up to nothing.

Give me Seyfried of Barnsness writings any time.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I truly believe that Ross Seyfried is the best technical writer going. He has experience in all facets and I also agree with his caliber choices!
I don't know why I enjoy CTB's writing, but I do! He has hunted everything and yet is as common as the rest of us. He writes extraordinarily well and in the end there is only so much to write about, so just filling sentences with words is about all anyone can do with many of these tired old subjects.
Barnsness is one I don't seem to warm up to, his writing isn't even in the same league as the above mentioned pair, and he doesn't have 1/100th the experience of them either. I'd pick Jon Sundra or Layne Simpson anyday for the 3rd best writer!

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I enjoy Barsness & Seyfried a lot. I disagree with Boddington on some issues, but don't understand the flames he gets from folks. He has many (over 2 dozen, I believe) safaris under his belt, and his experience is valuable.

I don't think a .30 magnum is a minimum for big deer at long range (as the Gen'l has opined), but we all have our likes/dislikes.
A .30 magnum isn't a BAD choice by any stretch of the imagination.

I didn't agree much with Wayne Van Zwoll on the subject of bullet performance when he wrote for Handloader, but I'd happily share a camp with him, or Barsness, or Ross S., or Craig Boddington.

one of us
posted Hide Post
500grains,

I think this might be about the only thing we agree on.

Seyfried and Barness are wonderful writers and are the top two on my list,followed by Brian Pearce.

If magazines weren't made with those fancy waxed pages so you could get some traction,I'd use the General's articles for TP!What useless drivel.I think he has written more "all around deer rifle" and "elk cartridge" articles than anyone else.

Seyfried writes the most interesting articles out there.While Boddington is trying to convince you that you really need to run out and buy a 338 Ultra Mag for elk,Seyfried is writing about hunting cape buffalo with a sixgun or taking elk with a pinfire double rifle.

Rifle and Handloader are the only magazines I subscribe to,and basicaly the only gun rags I read any more.They are filled with articles by Seyfried,Barness,Pierce,Waters and Scovill-all great writers who write about interesting things.Boddington snuck into their yearly special edition with the same article on iron sights that was in RifleShooter two months before.Other than that,Rifle and Handloader are Boddington free.

Ron Spormer,who is trying to become the next Boddington,also writes for Rifle and Handloader.I sure hope he never becomes popular as he is much worse than Boddington ever thought about being.Take O'Connor's mean side,combine it with Keith's likeings and you have Spormer.He is basically restating Elmer's old theorys with a very negitive streak to them.He also thinks if a cartridge wasn't born yesterday,it's worthless.He claimed that the "300 Weathebry is still an ok cartridge,even if it is getting a tad up there in age".Jeesh!

------------------
I'm out to wrong rights,depress the opressed,and generaly make an ass of myself!

[This message has been edited by Brian M (edited 12-23-2001).]

Posts: 529 | Location: Humboldt County,CA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I know Craig Boddington, and I think he is very knowledgeable and experienced, and demonstrates it in his writing. He also writes about his screw-ups and mistakes. My wife always likes to talk guns with him because they are both lefties. I also think he is over-exposed in the gun rags.

John Barsness makes some excellent contribution to the knowledge base. His book Optics for the Hunter should be on your shelf. I hope he updates it soon to keep up with the market.

I also like Sam Fadala and Mike Venturino on the older guns. I always read Ross Seyfried's stuff as he does stuff none of the others do (now that Finn Aagaard has died).

I subscribe to Rifle & Handloader, Man/Magnum (RSA) and African Hunter (Zim). Brian Marsh and Koos Barnard do some good work for Magnum, and Don Heath is just excellent for AH. Of course I write for AH now, so I have some small prejudice.

jim dodd

------------------
"if you are to busy to
hunt, you are too busy."

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Matt77>
posted
The only problem I have with the General, and who knows, he may even be lurking somewhere around the forum so let's be nice,
is that I'd love to get to hunt as much as he does.
He does like the 8mm Rem Mag, so he's gotta be an alright guy. He does seem to repeat some material from article to article. But he does stir up conversation among shooters and hunters, after all, conversaton and arguments are part of the sport.

<MontanaMarine>
posted
My favorite gunwriters are Ross Seyfried and Brian Pearce, since Elmer died. MM

<redleg155>
posted
500grains,

Well put and exactly right! Well, that's my opinion at least. I had a chance to get to know Ross Seyfried this year and he is a wonderful gentleman.

redleg

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I have watched Col. or General Boddington on Safari. The professional hunter always seems to make Bodington look llke a rookie - and, in turn, he acts like one. By the way is he a colonel or general? I have seen his name prefaced with colonel instead of general in recent articles. Perhaps these articles were written before his promotion and just published. Or perhaps he was AWOL hunting in some far-away palce and was demoted - yeah right!

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Zeke>
posted
I find myself in the awkward position of agreeing with 500Grains. However, he is correct about Boddington's writing. If Boddington would stop his shameless product promotion and his belief that the only solution to any problem is an overly expensive, overbore, custom piece of field artillery disguised as a rifle, his experience as a sportsman might be useful.
I was really disappointed to see his ramblings in a recent article of American Rifleman. Let us hope that Boddington never shows up in Rifle or Handloader.

ZM

<Eagle Eye>
posted
I am rather surprised that the gun writer named Jon Sundra hasn't been mentioned by any of you. He is a no-nonsense scribe that makes a lot of sense. His articles are in most magazines yet he gets overlooked. Perhaps it is because he doesn't go over the line like Boddington often does.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hopefully Rifle and Handloader will keep the "advertising" writers out of their pages.

I have read some of Sundra's articles, but I don't find him as interesting as Ross Seyfried and Brian Pearce. Rick Jamison is a writer who offers lots of technical information, including reloading data and hints.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth, I much prefer Boddingtons hunting stories, rather than technical articles. Seyfried writes about stuff I've never heard of, or ever even though about, while Boddingtons technical articles seem to be geared for the "beginner." (Not that I'm any great expert)

Rifle and Handloader are the only mags I read frequently these days, not including local (BC Outdoors) mags....

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
<J Brown>
posted
You guys and your "He has his rank in his title and that really pisses me off!". Give it a rest, why do you care?

Did anyone cry when Whelen used Colonel in his title? What about Askins?

When Aagaard died Boddington was left as the best "Hunting writer". There are a bunch of sorry technical articles in most of the mags, I don't hate Boddingtons any more than the rest.

Sundra is one I can't like even if I try, his writing does nothing for me.

Petzal is the most underrated writer today. Boddington is tops on my list along with Barsness, Carmichael, Petzal and Van Zwoll. I love Seyfried's style but I left him off my list because I don't want to be on the "Seyfried groupie" bandwagon.

If a writer wants to place his day job in his title I could care less. How many writers have reached Major or higher and not placed it in their title?

Jason

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Barsness is probably my favorite. His style is honest, intelligent and well crafted. His topics comes from an unusual ability to think new thoughts as well as an obvious amount of actual experience... something sadly lacking among many. His dad was an English prof. here at MSU... apparently enough of it rubbed off on Johnny B.

Seyfried has certainly "been there" and has plenty to say, but his style is difficult and amateurish... he really should take a correspondence course!

Boddington... undoubtedly a nice man with a wealth of experience. His style and content, however, are on the order of melba toast and drying paint.

<MontanaMarine>
posted
J Brown. That's my point. His day job is NOT being a Marine Corps officer. He's a reservist.

<allen day>
posted
The best material ever written about guns and hunting - the stuff that stands the test of time - tends to keep commercialization to a bare minimum. O'Connor, Jobson, Page, Carmichel, Barsness, Weiland, and Seyfried (my all-time favorites) tend (ed) to write about the the stuff that works, at least in their experience. These guys have never been all out of breath to report the stunning virtue of every new junk-gun, gadget, and wonder cartridge that some benevoltent manufacturer decides to send them for purposes of free advertising.

O'Connor, Page, Jobson, and Carmichel (Jim still active, of course) wrote so many superb hunting stories that featured the same favorite rifles again and again. Who doesn't remember the warm mystique that surrounded Jobson's Biesen custom rifles, or especially O'Connor's Biesen rifles? Who could ever forget Carmichel's adventures with lions, brown bear, and buffalo while using his famous David Miller .338?

Today, so many of the writers are little more than pimps for everybody with something to sell that we've lost the ability to become warmly associate with ANYTHING. I guess this trend somehow fits the computer-spawned age in which we live....

I swear, some of these writers must think we're all just a bunch of idiots and can't see through this stuff!

AD

<bearguide>
posted
I don't mind Boddington's writings at all. That said, I don't think any of the above mentioned writers are overly talented. Hemingway, Ruark, and a slew of other writers had more talent than these guys ever will. It's not an art to write about hunting products.

<dcan>
posted
Wow what is it about Boddington that brings out such viciousness.
Most posters seem to say they never read the gun rags but seem to know each of his posts.
Montana Marine has Boddington NOT done the Marine training. You seem very jealous that this man is in the Reserves but yet after 9/11 up here in Canada we watched as many Reservists were called up to aid in the defense of the US?
If GENERAL Boddington was truly a poor Officer and terrible scribe some how I belive that he would get talked about less.
Myself I still belive that those Little Green Men of envy are hard at work for this subject comes up at least once a month.
HMMMM the monthly lets get Gen C. Boddington wonder if PMS is to follow OH wait that should be PBS (Pre Boddington Syndrome).
Gee just don't read the guy and if you are a TRUE MARINE just don't salute the guy if you meet him at the base and he is in uniform.

<MontanaMarine>
posted
dcan, I have no idea of Boddington's quality as an officer, I assume it is good or he would not be one.

My only POINT is: Using his military title while pursuing his hunting/writing interests comes accross to me as a bit self-agrandizing.

If you are implying I am not a true Marine, whatever makes you feel good. During the past 22 years I have spent 7 years overseas including over 3 years in hostile fire areas in El Salvador(83-85), Croatia(93-95). I have been there and done that. Have you???

<Mike Dettorre>
posted
Craig Boddington is a writer. He gets paid to write. If you think seriously about our sport. The major advancemnts occurred in between 80-100 years ago.

Since then we are talking incremental improvement in the area of 5-10% for most useful applications and 10-20% for specialized applications.

I think Boddington does a nice job and works very hard at his profeesion. In general I would say if you think he has a "holiness" complex, I am a suspect of how much time you have spent chatting with him in person.

------------------
MED

The sole purpose of a rifle is to please its owner

<dcan>
posted
MM in no way am I implying you are not a real Marine. If you weren�t you would not be where you are. Nor am I implying any disrespect personally to yourself.
Your post seemed to state Boddington was not a real Marine as he was in the Reserves therefore a WEEKEND warrior. I simply inquired with your knowledge of your forces had Boddington not been trained as a Marine? For if he had not how would he get to be a General in the Reserve Marines?
As far as I am concerned he can call himself by any title he has earned for to me unless he can put his pants on any different than one leg at a time he is still at the end "just a Man".

[This message has been edited by dcan (edited 12-24-2001).]

<Eagle Eye>
posted
I suspect that many of you don't like Jon Sundra's articles because he doesn't suscribe to the bigger, larger, faster attitude that prevails amongst many of the individuals on this board.

Testosterone prevails over logic.

<MontanaMarine>
posted
Yes of course he has been trained.

I do read the gunrags. Hell, I read everything I can put my eyeballs on, like these forums. I'm always interested in what is new and other peoples experiences and opinions. And we all have our bullshit filters in place.

Being a southpaw myself, I have always read Boddington's articles just to see if he is writing about something with the handle on the proper side(grin). But, I get the distinct feeling that his writings are more than objective reports on the products. There is more than a little salesmanship going on and I'm obviously not the only one who has noticed. When I see the General's title with his name it comes across to me as: "trust me, I'm a General". I usually chuckle to myself and shake my head, then start reading. No jealousy at all

Jeff Cooper, Charles Askins, Townsend Whelen, Bill Jordan, Skeeter Skelton. A few writers I admire with titles. MM

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like Boddington, his articles have improved since I first started reading his stuff.

Posts: 359 | Location: 40N,104W | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Interesting comments but one fact may have been overlooked: He writes what he does because it sells. No other reason.

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I first met Craig when he was a Lt. Colonel of Marines. I think he started using his title after he was promoted to Colonel. Chatting with him about his deployments he was going to various headquarters operations jobs for three months or longer at a crack, that is what he did for Desert Storm for example. His promotions came because of the job he did. Lately he has been elevated to one star general. The USMC does not waste stars on officers who are not good, active or reserve.

Since the September 11 Attack on America, I have started putting my rank back with my name, something I did not used to do.

Craig is a magazine writer, and you make money in that field by using the same story in as many ways as you can; check out Writers Guide or other professional publications.

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
Will drive submarines or destroyers for hunts.

------------------
"if you are to busy to
hunt, you are too busy."

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
<J Brown>
posted
Eagle Eye

I shoot most everything with a boring old 30-06. I don't subscribe to the bigger-larger-faster attitude either but I still don't like Sundra's writing.

Jason

<DavidP>
posted
Like most writers and other professions these days, they get caught in the "business" aspect of their fields and unfortunately, business runs the world. Boddington is still a VERY knowledgable and experienced hunter and rife shooter, period. He can get stuck in that rut now and then but most writers do eventually.

I've had the pleasure of speaking with him on a couple of occasions and I have found him to be a true gentleman. What I found most facinating about speaking with him is how he down plays his own accomplishments and makes yours the center of conversation.

I don't have anywhere near the experience that he has but I never felt inferior during any of our conversations. That tells me something about the man.

I still highly respect his insight and opinion as one of the premiere "how to" guys today. But like evrything else, I don't take his or anyones word for gospel 100% of the time.

------------------
Good Hunting & Hunt Safe,
David

<WyomingSwede>
posted
I'll bite on this topic too. #1 problem with Boddington is shameless promotion of products throughout his writings. #2 I dont see where the military title is required unless the article is about shooting deer with an M-60.
On the other hand, he does not write like a moron, and it is not bad reading. I only agree with about 50% of what he says...but he is paid to pronounce those opinions. He goes a bit overboard on the custom gun route.
I like John Barsness,Wayne van Zwoll, and Mike Venturino. But I do read Boddington's stuff also. G.Sitton and Ross Seyfried are good also. Bryan Pearce is top notch.
Jim Carmichael is overrated, as is John Wooters and Jeff Cooper. May they enjoy their retirement.
Again...dont forget...their function is to sell magazines. regards swede

------------------
WyomingSwede

<Harald>
posted
I think that some of the criticisms voiced here are a little unremitting considering that we are at least as guilty of writing endlessly about tired subjects (especially our cherished opinions), with rather clumsy prose a lot of the time. How many of us could muster the thought required to write even one engaging article on handloading, bullet performance or hunting? I would never want the job of writing for a periodical unless it was as a very infrequent contributor. That is a tough task and its a tougher readership that must be appeased. The endless litany of boring, introductory-level general subjects in Petersen publications may be a good thing considering that a new generation of hunters and shooters greets those subjects every fall. It doesn't captivate me but it serves a market. Can you imagine revisiting all that stuff every year? (Some of us - me included - do it here every couple of months!) (And we're just as dull!)

I enjoy technical articles on specific subjects mainly, so I am less interested by the kind of general topical material that Boddington is asked to produce, but I believe him to be honest and I think I would thoroughly enjoy conversing with him. He does not seem a prima donna to me for using his rank, nor have I heard of anyone who has met him complain of a condescending hauteur.

one of us
posted Hide Post
As far as I know,in the Reserves,you are not moved up in rank by conduct,but by taking the appropriate written tests.

------------------
I'm out to wrong rights,depress the opressed,and generaly make an ass of myself!

Posts: 529 | Location: Humboldt County,CA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While Boddington is a credible and prolific writer he is not the best, and in my opinion has hit a slump. His writings of late seem to be sophomoric at best. However, I think the current management of Peterson publishing has a much to do with this. Ever since Mr. Peterson sold out to the new ownership(very wise from a financial standpoint!) the publications seem to lack passion, and for the most part have sunk to publishing the same trite subjects - one hundred different ways. The group of writers are certainly better than their recent work suggests. But when the bottom line is of ultimate importance the art and science suffer. I have been told by a close personal friend of Jeff Cooper that Mr. Peterson took very good care of his outdoor writers; could be that the current management has displaced this. Maybe this is why Seyfried jumped ship to Harris publications.
Concerning writers who are industry pimps, Layne Simpson has to be the worst offender. The guy intermittently authors a good read. But Remington's PR guys, at times, have the purse zipped so tight you would think that Simpson was receiving medical and dental benefits from them for the amount of air play he gives Remington.
IP

Posts: 1239 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wonder why those that don't like Boddington bother to even keep up with his writing!
Eagle Eye... Sundra(whom I enjoy too) was mentioned by John S, the second poster. Perhaps you didn't read it?
Seyfried is my favorite writer, along with Phil Shoemaker. Rifle and Handloader are my favorite magazines.
I do read a lot of gun magzines, and enjoy them for their entertainment value, regardless of who wrote the story. ~~~Suluuq

Posts: 854 | Location: Kotzebue, Ak. | Registered: 25 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Dan in Wa>
posted
Wayne van Zwoll lives about 50 miles from my house, used to be listed in the local phone directory. A friend of mine called him about some .264 Winchester Mag. loads that he had published in Handloader/Rifle Shooter. The guy answers his own phone and was very helpfull. I like that, Elmer used to do that.Wayne gets my vote as does Ross, Brian P., Barness. Jon Sundra sucked back in the early 1980's and still does.
Dan

<Mike Dettorre>
posted
Many varying opinions here...

I was curious how many of us here have real experience or facts about...

ever had to write for a living?

know what a writer gets paid per article?

know whether or not they truly get discounts on their hunts?

know what the cost of living is in CA?

know what kinda expenses get covered or not?

know what each others financially aspirations are?

ever been a reserve officer and know what it takes to get promoted?

know what combat actions each other has been involved in?

know what each other gives to charity?

know what each other's personal obligations are?

Oh yea...two more questions and some comments.

Has any gun writer ever maligned anyone on this board or anyone else publicly?

Has any gun writer ever done anything to "harm" you or anyone else you know?

just some thoughts...

------------------
MED

The sole purpose of a rifle is to please its owner

<Paleohunter>
posted
Montana Marine, Im from the army and do not know much about the Marine regg's; but is there not a regulation in the Marine Corps that states a Officer is not to use his title and rank for non military matters? Or is that for active duty officers only?

<allen day>
posted
Mike, I think you've brought up some really valid points to consider.

I didn't mention Craig Boddington in my post, but I will now. I was in a Coues deer camp in Sonora with Craig a couple of years ago, and I had the chance to spend quite a bit of time talking with him about all sorts of hunting subjects, writing, etc.

In a nutshell, I found Boddington to be a very regular sort of person, and a very honest, candid man. I came to like him very much. There's no arrogance to him whatsoever. He's a good conversationalist, and a good listener. When it comes to actual hunting experience, I'm convinced that no gunwriter from the past or present can even come close to matching Craig's experience, except on possibly single specific game species. He's probably hunted more game in more places with a wider variety of rifles and calibers that anyone ever has.

He feels a strong professional obligation to test and write about a wide variety of equipment, and he makes no bones about that particular ethic. If I were a gunwriter, I'd like to think that I'd do things differently in some respect, but then I'm not a gunwriter on the current scene with editors to pacify, manufacturers to deal with, a large readership to appease, etc.

I've read the knocks against Boddington off and on for the last several years, but like him or not, he DOES have the experince to backup what he says (a lot of it), and he HAS been promoted to a generalship in the Marine Corps reserves, which is worth of great respect. When he's gone, a lot of folks will miss him greatly, and yeah, I'd be one of them. That's the way it is with the great gunwriters: People only grow to love them after they've bucked out.....

AD

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Sometimes I don't agree with that supermagnums articles, but I think he has lots of experience so I read nearly all his articles with great interest.
How many of you have read "Safari Rifles"???Please, be honest, it's a GREAT book.
LG

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
<MontanaMarine>
posted
Paleohunter, I vaguely recall something about military personnel (officer and enlisted) of any branch not using their rank or service in political activities. I believe the General's use of his military title is within the law. MM