THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    How hunts are supposed to go. Part One.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How hunts are supposed to go. Part One.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted
Well, after the debacle from the Spring Turkey/Feral Hog hunt taken by some AR members over the 5th.& 6th. of April, things got back to normal during the following week.

Had a Father/Son duo in on the 8th.& 9th., and even though they were unable to connect, the son had a shot at a pig on the first day of their hunt.

We had a group of about 20 pigs come in to the feeder we were watching, but between the age of the hunter, using a gun he was not familiar with and having that many hogs milling around at 30 yards distance, he shot over the back of the biggest sow in the bunch.

About 30 minutes before the pigs came in, we had a hen turkey come in to the feeder and a good sized gobbler, most likely the one in the picture in the report that follows this one, but the gobbler never presented a doable shot that day.

The next morning we were out north of town and had one hen turkey and a couple of deer come in to the feeder we were watching. I saw a coyote milling around in the brush behind the feeder and managed to call it in to about 60-65 yards, but the Dad missed, but at least game was moving.

Both of these hunts took place on exactly the same properties/exact same locations as the hunt on the 5th.& 6th.

My next group of hunters arrived early on Sat. morning (12th.), again another father/son duo.

We started out south of town, and while we had turkeys gobbling all around us, all that came in were a few hens. We left that spot about 9:30 saw 4 coyotes but were unable to get a shot at them.

We then went north of town and I dropped the hunters off in area they wanted to ease thru, trying to learn how to call turkeys.

The plan was to drop them off and then come back about 2 hours later and get them. That was the "Plan" anyway. I took them to the point I was going to drop them off at and I started back for town. I had not even got the pick up turned around when I heard a shot. They had only gone about 150 yards from where I let them off, making their way down toward a spring that holds some water year round.

I stopped and walked out to where they were and they said that they had jumped a pig but thought they had missed it. I made sure they were okay and started heading out of the pasture. Before I got to the main gate, I thought I heard a couple of shots but was not sure. When I got to the gate I checked my cell phone and it listed that I had one missed call and a text message.

Cell phone coverage on many of the properties I do the hunts on is sporadic at best. I checked the message and it was from the hunters stating that they had not missed the hog, they walked back up on it and finished off with a pistol.

I turned around went back to where they were at and helped drag this pig to the pick up. It weighed in at 130 pounds. The son had hit the pig in the guts, but took enough out of it that it only traveled about 80 maybe 100 yards from the starting point to where they found it and finished it off

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of don444
posted Hide Post
tu2 tu2 Good hunt.

Posts: 551 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good job tu2

Posts: 2647 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote