New
Find
Notify
Tools

airline notification
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Should the airline[Delta] be notified in advance that you will be flying firearms in checked baggage?

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Not necessarily. TSA will be the first to see it anyway. However, I always do.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
No need. Just for safety sake, print out the regs regarding firearms on their site in the baggage section, and carry it with you. You never know if you will encounter an anti-gun twit on the counter. I had to summon a supervisor once, who then had to call someone at corporate to verify if I was correct or not. I won that one because of the printed regs that I brought with me. Just make sure that you follow their regs and you'll be fine. Go to the counter first and declare the firearms. Then TSA will check them out and you can lock your case.Make sure that your ammo is either in original factory ammo boxes or MTM cases and in with the firearms. Things will go smoothly if you are aware of the way they want stuff packed.

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bowhuntrrl:
No need. Just for safety sake, print out the regs regarding firearms on their site in the baggage section, and carry it with you. You never know if you will encounter an anti-gun twit on the counter. I had to summon a supervisor once, who then had to call someone at corporate to verify if I was correct or not. I won that one because of the printed regs that I brought with me. Just make sure that you follow their regs and you'll be fine. Go to the counter first and declare the firearms. Then TSA will check them out and you can lock your case.Make sure that your ammo is either in original factory ammo boxes or MTM cases and in with the firearms. Things will go smoothly if you are aware of the way they want stuff packed.

Good advice here. I would definately use a factory ammo box, even if it's reloaded ammo. Some of these people don't know thier own policies. I packed my ammo seperate from my rifle because of what the airline's customer service person said on the phone.
I have not talked to TSA directly. Nate

EDIT: I just checked the TSA website and as far as thier concerned, the ammo needs to be secured in containers designed specifically for carrying small amounts of ammo. Sounds like thier fine with MTM or CaseGaurd type boxes.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Double ditto on having a hard copy of their website policies in hand. Twice I have gotten a twit that had no idea what the airlines plicies were and just told us that the airlines rules were ___________ fill in the blank and make them up as you go along. If you have that hard copy in your hand they take a change of attitude real quick. Good hunting.

Although cartridge selection is important there is nothing that will substitute for proper first shot placement. Good hunting, "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote