New
Find
Notify
Tools

Off to Montana / Bison hunt....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Heading out for my first bison hunt on a ranch in Montana. I'll be shooting my 338 Remington Ultra mag with hand loaded 250 Nosler Partitions @ 2950.
Put a Harrel muzzle brake on the Remington LSS and got the recoil down to a hot 30-06. Weaver Grand Slam 3x10 scope has held up nicly so far and will get to do the duty. Don't know much about the ranch I'll be on but will fill you in when I return. Is said to be several thousand acres and free roaming bison, we'll see. They have a few 3.5 year old bulls and I'll be shooting one of these. Is 600# in the freezer probable?
I'll be back. Jim the Plumber

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Jim, bring some warm clothes... it was -13 F here this morning...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim, sounds like you should have fun until that bad boy's on the ground. 3 yr old shot by a buddy a month ago netted 550 lbs. I think his hunt was 500.00 and he got all meat, hide and horns.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm shooting one down at Gold Creek in a couple weeks when the hides are at the prime.

I'm using a smoothbore flinter, .62 caliber.

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Triple C in Gold Creek is a nice place for your hunt. Make a trip to Deer Lodge just 15 minutes down the road and have a 2 lb. Buffalo burger at Spanky's for 7 bucks with all the trimmings and home fries. It's at the only traffic light in town on Main St. If your're an early riser hit the Deer Lodge Bakery at 5 a.m and get a "Bearpaw" and a cup of joe for a buck and a half. Louie is your sterotyped baker and he treats hunters right. The man has lots of stories to tell. Have fun..... Gold Creek and Garrison/Avon is my happy huntin' ground for elk and mulie bucks.

Posts: 73 | Location: North Central / Montana | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote