New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deer in CO GMU38
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Missed out on ALL my tags this year (lots of points though) so I'm going through the left overs, looks like a lot of deer tags left here. I know thats for a good reason, but really, this is my only shot at hunting deer in CO this year.

Anyone have experience with unit 38? Especially the western part? I know there is a LOT of private land, but I also know there ARE deer up there.

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've spent lots of time in 38. Archery/Muzzleloader is your best bet!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4885 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that would be great if I knew how to do either Aaron HAHA!! I'm looking at 4th, hopefully when the bucks are horny and less weary. Wish I had the cash I'd just buy a spot from you out east and get a real wall hanger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just don't think you'll have much luck in 4th season, on the public. Not impossible, but at least you will be out there with a chance.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4885 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've hunted a fair amount in 38, but not in the past 8-9 years. I have seen some decent bucks up there.

If you go late season, try a fawn deer in distress call. I use this call for predators and it can bring the does in on the run. If there is a buck hanging with the does, they frequently come in with the does to the call.

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaron, thats it man! Gotta be out there or there is NO chance haha. I just have no other real options for deer.

K-22, thanks for the tip, would have not thought about that