New
Find
Notify
Tools

Effect of rifled chokes on buckshot
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Browning Citori that I want to use for pig hunting. Mostly evening/night work but with fairly frequent opportunities for 75 to 100yard shots. I know - a cape gun would be best- but ... Was thinking of geting a rifled choke for one barrel, but as the light fades or action gets fast, would still want to shoot buck shot (typically I use english SSG (2's) or SPSG (O) size shot

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Ganyana,

Last years Frankonia catalogue had a short barrelled over and under 12 gauge shot gun that had one completely rifled barrel and one IC barrel. It was made in Italy and they no longer list it. The test target they showed indicated that it would group slugs about 3 inches at 50 meters with sabot slugs.

In former east Germany hunters were not allowed to own rifles so the gunsmiths there had developed regulating of 12 gauge shotgun barrels with slugs down to a science. You often see old 12 gauge doubles from East Germany with scopes on them. These guns have been regulated to place slugs together for pig hunting. Most German shotguns are or were regulated to put slugs fairly close together. This is not the case with Amwerican made shotguns. I think they did it by polishing the inside of the barrels on one side or the other rather than by wedging the barrels. The idea was to get the escaping gas to push the slug one way or another. I have seen a BRNO sidelock double 12 scoped and regulated somehow. But I don't think they would be accurate at 100 meters. Probably 60 meters max for pigs. I think you need a combination gun or drilling for that.

VBR,

Ted Gorsline

Posts: 1116 | Location: asted@freenet.de | Registered: 14 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you'll find a rifled choke will open your pattern. I've never used a rifle choke tube, but my rifled slug barrel (BPS) shoots terrible patterns with bird shot.

Your better bet is to experiment with slugs. With foster type slugs try IC or Mod chokes. I'd be suprised if this give you satifactory results. Ithaca had the reputation for the most accurate smooth bore slug guns. Ithacas were bored tighter (about IC) the whole length of the barrel. Your Citori is probably back bored.

With the rifle tube try sabots. You can get hi viz. rifle sights that clamp on the vent rib.
Sam

Posts: 2393 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ganyana, I guess this a bit redneck old school, but I have a rifled barrel (intended for slugs) for my old 870 Remmy, which is my turkey rig now, but with that rifled barrel it shot about the same as the 'regular' barrel with a full choke in it with oo buckshot. Just for what it's worth.

Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote