THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    lets hear your bison hunting stories to get me motivated for my hunt.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

lets hear your bison hunting stories to get me motivated for my hunt.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
So I have a Bull Bison hunt booked in the next few months and would like to hear others stories and see some pictures to get me motivated. Im hunting with my smith and wesson .500 revolver and would like to get up close and personal, My question is what are the odds of him charging me after my first shot? I will have two back up guns in .45-70 and .300 ultra mag. Im thinking about loading up some 600 grain or 700 grain hard cast bullets for some knock down power.

Posts: 521 | Registered: 30 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I dont think the 6 or 700gr slugs will have enough velocity for knock down power. Getting up close to prarie bison will be pretty hard. Bushwacking them in some cover would seem the way.
Welcome to AR and "Make the Shot".

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot a bull with a 45-70, 400 grain hard cast lead loaded to 1350 FPS, the first shot at about 75 yards did not seem to phase him whatsoever, it was an angle walking away, I could actually see the entrance wound, he finally gave me a broad side at about the same distance this one went right at the long hair line mid way on the body, he actually trembled when it hit him took two steps and fell over and didn't move. no pass troughs, could not recover the bullets since the rest of the heard was getting a little to interested. The carcass weight was 854 lbs, butcher stated twice that would be live so roughly 1700.

The guide I was with said watch the tail, if it is up one of two things will happen, either he is preparing to relieve himself or make you relieve yourself.

I am no bison hunting expert but I was present for 4 bison being shot and as long as they are not paying attention to you at the time of the shot they will probably continue doing what they where doing prior to the shot.

I would use a bullet for penetration since they are quite large and have massive shoulders and long thick hair, but bullet placement is more critical than bullet provided you pick the correct bullet for gun, anyhow should the herd charge, keep one for your
self dancing

[URL= ]
\
Here is a better picture also mort impressive with the scenery, you can see the first shot in the center of the rib cage this was the angle forward, the second was at or in the long shoulder hair about the same height as the first, If you look high right you can see the herd as it eventually moved off to the mountains. After the bull went down a couple of other bulls came off and started paying soccer with this one, to see this huge animal being lifted and tossed was quite impressive but damaging to the
hide. It took three pickups to run off and surround the animal
[URL= ]

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So you think a 500 grain bullet would be a better way to go? Nice bull raamw, if I get one that looks that good I will be more than happy. Keep the stories coming.

Posts: 521 | Registered: 30 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I loaded a round will similar performance that was had in the old days, if you can get a strong bullet that can penetrate with that 500 I see no reason why it wouldn't have the same results provided you put it where it counts. I use a hard cast Lead 320 grain in my 44m and I also load 440 hardcast for my 500, however I have not taken any game with them. I would think if you can get a velocity in the area of 1400 fps it would work fine allowing for the larger diameter. If you get to high in velocity you may reduce penetration due to expansion of the bullet.

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote