New
Find
Notify
Tools

30.06, 300 WSM, or 300 WM?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
If it was me advising my friend, I would tell him to look for an 06, I shoot a 300 win alot and I think you have to shoot alot to be able to shoot it well. Where as he won't have the recoli to contend with nor should he feel handicapped by carrying an 06. The more I shoot mine the more I like it.

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Doc,

You just can't go wrong in any form or fashion with the good ole 30-06. It's lasted this long, there must be something good about it Smiler .

3000 fps with a 150 NAB will take just about all of the game mentioned very effectively.

A 30-06 is cheap to load for, cheap to buy factory ammo for, easy to find ammo & components for, works great with so many diff powders when hand loading, and will take anything walking in NA effectively with the right bullets.

I'd advise him to get the 06 for sure.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc:
First, Happy New Year to everyone (as of 28 min. ago).

My air force friend wants to put in for antelope with me in WY. We also have a couple of other things lined up that may happen depending on whether or not he gets transferred to Iraq.

Ok, he does not own a rifle and has asked me twice via email about the venerable 30.06 vs. the 300 WM. I really picture him as a ONE rifle guy so whatever he gets will most likely be it for at least a decade (when he's done serving).

I sent him some info on those 2 and in addition, the 300 WSM.

I've owned 2 of the win mags and one 30.06 which I still have and it is definitely one of my favorite rifles of all time.

Lets just say that the largest game he'll ever hunt will be elk. He would love to do an elk hunt, mulie, antelope, and eventually some bears (black), cougar, caribou.

After several discussions it appears that he would like a "one gun, one bullet, do all combo."

He's shouldered a couple of Wal Mart Remington 710s (on sale with a scope for about 300.00). I know nothing of this rifle, whether it can be customized in the future, etc. Don't know how it compares to the regular 700 action.

I told him I'm not a fan of "cheap" rifles regardless of brand but he's on air force salary with a wife and 4 kids.

Anyway, the brand isn't the issue, I'll work on that.

What say you to the 3 given choices? Of course they all will work for his purposes. I would just like a collective opinion on what YOU all like and why. Then I'll email him this link and let him read.

Thanks!

For a guy who is not used to recoil, and I don't count the .223 as having any significan recoil, AND WHO IS NOT A RELOADER, THE ONLY LOGICAL CHOICE IS THE .30-06. And I am one who thinks the .300 Win Mag walks on water, own quite a few of them, but for a sometime, new to recoil type shooter, there is no doubt, get the '06.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BTW, and I realize this is not a choice, but considering the parameters, he might well be better off with a .270 or similar class. Less recoil and flatter shooting for antelope.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
BTW, and I realize this is not a choice, but considering the parameters, he might well be better off with a .270 or similar class. Less recoil and flatter shooting for antelope.

I did email him the post from Late Bloomer in classifieds. He is selling a Remington BDL 700 with a scope for 750.00. It is a 270.

I agree with the suggested 270 cal, but for a man who wants ONE rifle, I think he has his mind made up that it will be at least a 30.06.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
30-06 gets my vote. And that Walmart Remington would be a fine gun with good optics on it.

Posts: 135 | Location: New Jersey, USA | Registered: 02 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Collins:
I spent 11 years "in" and know what he's dealing with for $$$. I think he could do a lot worse than a 300WSM in Weatherby Vanguard and a reasonable scope from Wally-World. That was my first medium bore bolt gun and it's a good combo. I still have it and it's not for sale. Big Grin

This would be my advice to anyone who wanted a good, inexpensive, do-it-all rifle.

It is not enough to fight for natural land and the west; it is even more important to enjoy it...So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends...

- Edward Abbey

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I vote for the 300 WinMag...have had several over the years...but would actually prefer the 338 WinMag for that one gun role...

Posts: 184 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I recently counciled an old friend on this very decision. The sells reps nearly had him sold on a 300 mag, but after talking to me he gave the 06 some serious consideration and ultimatley ended up getting one.

He shot less than one box on his first trip to the range citing recoil and the cost of shells as the reasons. Magnums really should be worked up to.

He too was looking at the 710 and I suggested that I thought the 700 is better even though Im not a big Remington guy. He got the 700 and seems quite happy with it.

There is nothing on your list that cannot be handily taken with an 06. For some hunts a Mag would be a better choice, but not for what youve mentioned.

Posts: 10170 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted Hide Post
Remington just recalled some of the 710's do to faulty safeties.

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
After several discussions it appears that he would like a "one gun, one bullet, do all combo."

I fully understand the one gun desire, but one bullet is a little tough.

Everything that's been said about the .30-06 is true. It's a great all-around choice with 22 cartridge choices from 125gr to 220gr from Federal alone. But for big game only (no varmints) a .300 Win Mag is also a great choice for a one gun battery. Federal offers 13 choices from 165gr to 200gr. A great bullet choice for pronghorns is the 190gr MatchKing because it bucks the prairie winds very well and will kill a speedgoat with ease. That also bodes well for the .300 Win Mag as his choice.

Lots of great advice has been given already concerning a rifle, but I'd look at used guns with his budget concerns and find something of a better quality than a new Rem 710. A pre-owned Model 70 CRF would be a good choice.

I also agree with the selection of a Leupold scope. The 3.5-10x40mm Vari-X III is the standard bearer in their lineup.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If'n he's now wanting one gun, one bullet, then there's probably been more "stuff" kilt with a 180gr Remington Core Lokt bullet than all the rest combined. I would have suggested the 165gr Remington Core Lokt bullet for general use unless he was actually hunting elk but if he just sticks to 180's, it does take the thinking part out of his problem.
That's another advantage to the 30-06. Its performance window lends itself nicely to your standard cup and core bullets; it doesn't need any dollar a pop boutique bullets to do your killing for you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My choice as a reloader would emphatically be the .300 Winny. You can load it like a 30-06, .300 WSM or step it on up to full power if the need is there. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have owned both the 30-06 and the 300 WinMag and I would go with the latter...it will do anything the 06 will do and do it better...

Posts: 184 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doc,

Given the perameters you set out I think your friend would be best suited with the '06. I've shot all kind of calibers including the Win Mag and just think the '06 is even better now than it was because of new bullets. Federal loads the 165 TSX and if that loads shot in his rifle I'd look no further for any of the game you mentioned. I just shot 14 of 17 animals on a safari with an '06 and the 180 TSX. I can't tell you that I'm sure the Win Mag would have killed more quickly.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't go wrong with any of the three. Just buy one in a decent gun and go hunting.

I would steer away from the 710. The Savage would not be my first choice, but its better than the 710. Shop around for a decent deal on a CZ 30-06. They are reasonably priced and a great gun to boot.

Posts: 224 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With Quote