Find
Notify
Tools

New to me, crossbow recommendations
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
I'm moving to Kentucky and it has a 15 day modern rifle season but a 4 month crossbow season so I figure that one of my deer management tools will have to be a crossbow.

I am totally ignorant about crossbows and any kind of bolts and broadheads and am not afraid to admit it so any information will help me. I don't see a crossbow/archery forum so I figured that some of you guys who hunt in the mid-west and south would know.

Can you recommend a good quality deer hunting crossbow, bolts and broadheads?

I will need it to be ambidextrous (left hand friendly) and capable of mounting different types of optics (scope, red dot, maybe even thermal sight for coyotes, etc.)

Thanks,

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of them out there.

I have a 150 dollar Barrett works well.

I also have a six point recurve works well.

Both are very accurate.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
There are a lot of them out there.

I have a 150 dollar Barrett works well.

I also have a six point recurve works well.

Both are very accurate.

Yes, that's why I'm asking for help, the choice is mind boggling. Big Grin

Being left handed, I don't know if all the makers are lefty friendly. I've got a bum shoulder that will prevent me from drawing a bow so that's why I'm going with the cross bow. The price point is the least important factor if I get a good quality crossbow that I can shoot accurately to 50 - 70 yards, which I read is a reasonable range for an experienced shooter.

I don't mind paying for quality but I don't want to pay for a Rolls Royce if I can do everything that I want to do with my Ram truck.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Last year I bought a Bear Legion 370. I don't think the brand is that important but here are the features I wanted-

A velocity less than 400 FPS: Make that in between 350 and 400 fps. My reasoning is that over 400 fps the arrows get torn up a bit more and I do not think the speed is that crucial once you get above 350. More practice will compensate more than enough for any slight increase in trajectory. Mine has a 175 lb draw weight listed which is not too hard to cock.

Collapsible butt stock: Hunting in october is different than hunting in january around here, it's nice to have a stock that adjusts to a sweatshirt or a pair of insulated coveralls.

AR style pistol grip: And then I put a steeper aftermarket grip on it. I find for hunting wearing heavy clothing a steeper angle on a pistol grip allows you to tuck your elbow in and is noticeably faster to get up and on target, at least for me.

I have a friend who likes his so much he hasn't used a gun since they became legal to use. I asked him what his max range is and he says 70 yards also.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know anything about crossbows, but you might find some answers here;
http://forums.accuratereloadin...rums/a/frm/f/1021043

Posts: 356 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 16 April 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I use a Ten-Point cross bow. Nice item. Standard archery broad heads work with crossbows.

Brands are rather unimportant as there are lots of good choices out there. BTW- Welcome to flyover country!

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I suggest you give a hard look at the Excalibur line of Xbows. They're recurves so their much simpler to operate and maintain. You can perform any maintenance yourself without a bow press. Need to change your string? No problem with Excalibur. If you're shooting a compound you will be heading to the nearest archery store.

I've been using one for many years without any problems. Excalibur customer service is very good as well. Accuracy is great.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2331 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There’s a world of information on Excalibur’s forum.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a ten point crossbow and love it ..
It was a package deal all set up and included everything you need ...scope , bolts , quiver , etc.... ready to hunt ...about $1000.00

I've shot a few deer with it and it's lethal

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1302 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I briefly owned one and found it so heavy and bulky that I got rid of it. You can spend $200 to $2,000 on these without batting an eye.
I recommend perusing the threads in the crossbow forum at archerytalk.com.

https://www.archerytalk.com/forums/

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
I’ve had excellent results with a Ravin R9 crossbow. It comes complete with a top of the line scope that once zeroed for 20 yards has stadia lines all the way out to 100 yards. It has a crank mechanism and can be de-cocked at the end of the day. Not cheap but as the old saying about quality equipment goes ….”Buy once, cry once.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excalibur is good and customer service is excellent. Also check crossbow Nation web site.

one of us
posted Hide Post
As long as it flings a bolt down range with accuracy.

With enough power to drive a bolt through a a critter it well work.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love my ten point. I have probably killed over 50 deer with it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where in Kentucky?

I’m in Danville, in the central region of the state.

Posts: 1280 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
Buy an Excalibur Matrix 380. (380 FPS) It will have to be used, but Excalibur will still honor the warranty.

That bow has plenty of power, is very accurate and you can do anything for maintenance or repair it might need. I have killed 40 deer with a Matrix 330 (330 FPS)

Buy some NAP Spitfire (3 blade heads) or some NAP Spitfire Double Cross (4 blade heads) and use them. Keep your shots inside 25 yards and you'll have venison to eat.

Posts: 964 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Sorry for ignoring this guys but I just spent the last 2 1/2 weeks on vacation overseas and didn't log on here once.

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll start looking at them.

We just bought 70 acres near Cynthiana so I'm about and hour and a half north of you, Colin.

Frank

Administrator
posted Hide Post
This one has a barrel to shoot pellets too

A few weeks ago a friend gave me one of these.

An air rifle which can be converted to shoot arrows.

Have not tried it yet.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68789 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
This one has a barrel to shoot pellets too

A few weeks ago a friend gave me one of these.

An air rifle which can be converted to shoot arrows.

Have not tried it yet.

That's interesting but Kentucky has different requirements for air guns including minimum caliber requirements of .50 caliber ( I think)

Frank