Find
Notify
Tools

FT Riley, Kansas
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted
We're due to hit FT Riley, Kansas, in February. No hard date ("day") yet, just "February."

Are there any gun stores around with indoor shooting ranges where I could rent handguns? We all decompress in our own way; me, I want some serious trigger time.

I figure, time permitting, I'll rent some wheels and hit Cabela's in Kansas City, KS. Been there before... great store, great mule-deer display.

Anything else of a gun/cowboy/hunting nature within about two hours of driving time from FT Riley? We expect to rot there for about a week and a half, or so.

My other idea is to buy another 1858 Remington Army, get some powder, balls, and caps, and go shooting... or, get a conversion cylinder if I can find/procure one locally and buy a few pounds (I'm serious, "pounds") of .45 Colt and go blasting. I'm sure I can find some farmer in the AO who would let me do some blasting if I explain my situation. I'm not beyond waving greenbacks as bribery, either.

FT Riley for a while, then Des Moines for three days... THEN we can go "home" home. I sure miss my dog.

Anyway... anything of a gun/cowboy/hunting nature around FT Riley? Any gun stores where I could rent some blasters and get some trigger time?

Thanks, all.

And thank you, everyone, who have "been there for me" while I've been over here. It's been quite a year -- but it would have been a lot worse without the support of folks like you.

Godspeed.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Russ,
I have been reading Terry C. Johnston 8 volume set of the indian wars & he has written extensively on the kansas territory. I bet a soldier would enjoy browsing thru the indian wars history, I know I do. Check out Terry C. Johnston bio on the web, that should give you more info if you're interested.

Posts: 359 | Location: 40N,104W | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Russ

I don't know any of that stuff.

I'm just happy that you are coming back soon, and in one piece.

Take care.

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I did my basic training at Ft Riley. Remember it as kind of a boring place but I did not have a car either. Hope someone comes up with something decent to do while you are there.

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
The Bullet Hole in Overland Park will rent handguns and have a fine indoor range. Check the yellow pages and you will find the number.

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Russ-

Can't help you on Fort Riley (did my Basic at Fort Sill...).

But, wanted to say, it's good to hear that you have an end in sight!

Stay safe till then!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Welcome back Russ. Good to hear you're in one piece. I think you may have some deer hunting left that late in the Fort. Check with the Conservation Office ASAP when you get there.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
http://members.accessus.net/~tmcdonld/lighthse/Texas.htm

I just wanted to share the above that a friend of mine sent me. Very moving. I lived in Texas for a while and this is typical of the funeral processions I saw while I was there. I was raised to get out of the car and render the appropriate respect. Don't see much of that in Illinois, though, where I'm from... but Texas... well, there are a lot of things I like about Texas, which includes how they pay their last respects. Counts a lot with me. Must be a cowboy thing; I grew up on westerns. People in Illinois... Hell, they cut in and out of funeral processions, get irritated because they can't get around you in traffic, et cetera. Whatever. Thought I'd share it. Kind of got to me. As far as I know, this kid didn't throw himself on a hand grenade or charge a machine gun nest; just got killed in this war like a lot of other kids just got killed in this war. It's nice to see proper respect being paid. Makes a guy kind of chokey.

Anyway... Cold Bore, I've still got your magazines. I continue to be the most well-armed officer over here (90 rounds). Made some "tweaks," though. Hope you don't mind. I put in fresh Wolff springs in the four you gave me and the two the Army issued me. You'll get yours back with the Wolffs installed. My way of saying "thanks."

Roger on the gun place in Overland Park; if I can check it out, I sure will.

Gatehouse, Ann, everyone... thanks for all the well wishes and prayers... all appreciated, I assure you, and not taken for granted.

It's not over until the fat opera chick with the Viking horns sings... but things are looking hopeful.

Merry Christmas, all.

Godspeed.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Russ,
Most posts have a MWR range for recreational shooting you can access for nothing or next to nothing... I know Ft Knox does here and I'll bet Ft Riley has one... I did my ROTC Advanced Camp one summmer at Ft Riley...the best thing about the whole post was the Sunday brunch at the O-Club...it included all the champagne, bloody mary's or screwdrivers you could drink...
Thanks for going to the sand box and welcome home...

Posts: 457 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Russ, as you know I'm from Texas and and you're right, we still pull over and stop for funeral processions no matter whether we know folks or not. I've enjoyed getting to know you and am happy you'll be home soon. Thanks for everything you and so many others have done.

Shannon

Posts: 659 | Location: Texas | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I spent 7 years at Manhattan KS, near Ft Riley. If they will let you, it will be colder than a witches, well you know, but the flint hills is a great place to call coyotes, you may even be able to hunt part of Ft Riley. There used to be two small gun shops in manhattan, but I moved from there 15 years ago, so not sure now, but I will tell you, that is a great area to deer hunt, duck hunt, and varmint hunt.

Thanks for your service in Iraq, a whole bunch of us stateside really appreciate your service to our country. Dont forget Cabela's in Nebraska, from Ft Riley, hey, you are half way there. That's the original in Nebraska.....but Go Wildcats, man did I love what K-State did to the former Number one team in the nation, Oklahoma. K-State, at Manhattan KS won the Big 12 Championship in college football.

Posts: 492 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote