THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Optics...a slightly different perspective.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Optics...a slightly different perspective.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I own a safe full of Leupold Vari-X IIIs, a few Zeiss, a couple of Kahles etc. So I'm no stranger to high end glass and prefer it on my serious spending money on big hunt rifles.
But my wife and my daughter have been bugging me about deer hunting of late so I went ahead and decided to put together a small deer rifle for the women in my life.
Found an excellent condition Sako 579 in .243 for $470...perfect. A used set of Sako low mount rings for $35. Again, fabulous. Then I started contemplating scopes.
I kind of settled on a Leupold 2.5-8 Vari-X III. But sat down and thought hard about shelling out another $440 for a scope for the wife and kid. Not that they ain't worth it. But there had to be decent options out there that ain't going to eat up that much income...in my tax bracket $440 represents about $700 income!!! [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]
So I started looking around. I ended up with a Sightron 2.5-10 compact for $239. Its advertised with a Lifetime Warranty and assembled in Japan. My understanding is the same firm supplied Leupold with optics and other components before the began total production in Oregon...
The glass is pretty darn nice. No its not a Swarovski. And at 10X its just a tad bit fuzzy around the edges...not enough to notice if you don't know what to look for. It looks solid as a rock and eye relief on this model is very constant. I'd feel very confident with this glass on any hunt for deer in my local stompin' grounds. It may not be the equal of a Vari-X III but for the difference in price of over $200 I'll settle for the very slight sacrifice in optical quality.
How it shoots and holds up on my Sako remains to be seen. I bought it from a dealer with whom I trade a great deal and trust and he reports not a single problem with the Sightrons which outsell the Leupolds in his shop 2-1. How it performs, like I said, is still a matter of debate.
In the end the ladies will be using my Swarovski binos anyhow. So its not like they are crippled with inferior optics...

[ 09-12-2003, 00:48: Message edited by: Kentucky Nimrod ]

Posts: 457 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was just out with a varx3 and a burris fullfeild II early morning sun in are faces. I could see the target better with the burris then the leupold. The leupolds are nice scopes but the burris pulled through just fine. At 174 dollars for the burris in 3x9 with ballistic plex. It is one usefull scope. I have put about 200 rounds of 338 win mag under it no trouble yet. The plex is dead on out ot 400 yards didn't try it at 500 ran out of time.

Posts: 19616 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<tasunkawitko>
posted
KY -

i've been using a sightron for about 2 years now, and am surprised that more people aren't. they are excellent scopes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had to send my Sightron SI 3-9X40 back twice for wandering zero after minor, and I do mean minor, bumps.

I got a brand new scope back every time, but this time an old Weaver K4 went on the rifle that had the Sightron, and the Sightron is still in its box waiting for the gun show this weekend to be traded for some surplus 30-06 ammo or whatever else I can get.

They suck, as far as I am concerned.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
I was just out with a varx3 and a burris fullfeild II early morning sun in are faces. I could see the target better with the burris then the leupold. The leupolds are nice scopes but the burris pulled through just fine. At 174 dollars for the burris in 3x9 with ballistic plex. It is one usefull scope. I have put about 200 rounds of 338 win mag under it no trouble yet. The plex is dead on out ot 400 yards didn't try it at 500 ran out of time.

Now the Burris Fullfield II on my Sako 300 Win Mag is a hell of a scope. The Ballsitic Plex reticle is the cat's ass. [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Orion,
Are you being more careful now? [Big Grin]

Seriously, how long did they take to replace your scope?

The SI is the low end of the line. I think the SII is slightly better. (I hope anyhow)

Like I said...it looks good. We'll see how she holds up.

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Kentucky, if you were a real loving husband and father, you would put the Sightron, or lesser scope, on your rifle and put the Leupold or Kahles on theirs....yeah right. [Big Grin] Just buy them a Savage and put a Simmons on it they'll never know the difference. Take what you saved and buy youself another Sako and vari XIII. [Big Grin]

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aw, JEEZE!!! Here I am, trying to cure my insomnia, and somebody has to mention Sightron Scopes and send my pulse rate thru the roof!!
Here's why- A couple of years ago, the Sightron sales rep came into the gun store I worked at- They were having a "spiff", which meant that for every Sightron scope a salesman sold he got money, I believe it was $5. Salespeople in gun stores are not grossly over paid, therefore this $5 was enough to make them push the Sightrons over other scopes. It got so that with some salesmen, the first scope they would show anyone would be a Sightron, and they would be praised to high heavens. The store owners liked this because there is a higher profit margin in Sightrons than in Leupolds.
My experience with the Sightrons was that we had a very high percent of them returned with problems. Now, I know there are some people that have used one or more for years and are happy with them, and I am not disputing that- But, overall,from what I saw from selling many many scopes, the Sightron had significantly higher returns that almost any other scope.
I also tried a Sightron, a fixed 6 power, and it had an incredible amount of distortion. If you moved the cross hairs off the center of a bulls eye target with an inner white bull, the innewr white bull would appear on the very edge of the black bull. When I returned it, they said they couldn't find anything wrong with it. Of course, it didn't give me very good groups on my 223 either. In my opinion, Sightron was one of the truly "bad" products to come along.
When I need an inexpensive scope, I have been turning to the Weavers, and have had good luck with them, in terms of reliability, holding zero, warantee service, and quality of optics.

Posts: 32 | Location: between Alzada and Yaak | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DOCTOR LOU:
...put the Sightron, or lesser scope, on your rifle and put the Leupold or Kahles on theirs....

Hey KY Nimrod, This is exactly what I'd planned to post.

If in fact you have faith in your selection, hunt with it yourself. If your choice was sound, then letting the wife and daughter hunt with the higher grade equipment should make no difference at all to you. If for some reason a problem does happen to develop with the Sightron, it would be much easier for you to notice it than either of them due to their lack of experience.

I know for sure any kill they make with the equipment you select for them will give you more pride than anything you kill.

Best of luck to them(and you) this Season.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hot Core,
I like this rig so much I just ordered a McMillan stock for myself to use when the wimmen's cut down stock isn't in use.

I plan to send it off for some action work and to have the whole thing bead blasted and satin blued and the crown re-cut...got to test fire it first.

The Sightron might not be so bad. I had it out last night next to a VX II I have mounted on my CZ452 American and couldn't see a bit of difference in the twilight.

I don't anticipate the sweet thang's will be doing much more than stand hunting but you never know. Last year the wife was with me when I killed a 235lb 10 pointer and while she was excited with the hunt and the kill she wasn't overly enthusiastic about field dressing the critter... Just one more "honey do" waiting to happen... [Roll Eyes]

I don't fret too much about what's been written by a couple of posters. If you hang out here long enough you'll find anyone will complain about anything...don't care if its a top dollar Zeiss...you'll still get horror stories. [Wink]
And you just don't know what their background or motives truely are. They may sell other stuff or might install their scopes with 3lb ball peen hammers...who knows. OTOH they might be completely forthright. [Confused]

I guess what I'm saying is that for the most part we tend to be OVERLY serious about this hobby. For a long time I was a glass snob and wouldn't own anything less than a Leupold. But as short as a few years ago there was a huge qualitative divide because all that was out there since the demise of Weaver (US made) was discount store glass like Tasco/Bushnell/Simmons and Leupold/Burris with very little in between. The last few years have seen the introduction of well made mid-priced optics that seem reasonably well made...things like Weaver, Nikon and B&L... So I thought I'd take a chance...

I'll be shooting that rig plenty...I hope the Sightron holds up. [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey KY Nimrod, I really don't know a thing about a Sightron Scope. Yours may perform just as well as any other budget scope. But, my natural skepticism(tooooooo many years working as an Engineer in Product Evaluation) kicked in WIDE OPEN!

As for me, I'd still let the wife and daughter use known goods that have established a high factor of confidence in their reliability. If by chance "they" miss an opportunity at a Trophy and you do find something amiss in the Sightron, it will be tough on your conscience.

So, best of luck with whatever you choose to do.

What bullet are you planning to use?

[ 09-13-2003, 02:00: Message edited by: Hot Core ]

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most likely the 95 grain Partition. But I just loaded up some 95 grain Hornady SSTs. If they ever make the 6mm in an Interbond I think that would be ideal.

I've always been a partition fan. On deer they really aren't necessary but the case can certainly be made for em in the smaller, high velocity .25 and 6mm calibers more so than than in my 7mmand 30 calibers.

FWIW, its not really a budget scope. It ran $240 which is what a Vari-X II costs...

[ 09-13-2003, 06:02: Message edited by: Kentucky Nimrod ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kentucky Nimrod:
Orion,
Are you being more careful now? [Big Grin]

Seriously, how long did they take to replace your scope?

The SI is the low end of the line. I think the SII is slightly better. (I hope anyhow)

Like I said...it looks good. We'll see how she holds up.

I think their turnaround time was less than ten business days.

I gave them a chance. Their customer service is pretty good, but I've needed it far to soon and far too often for my liking.

No mind, tomorrow is gunshow day, and the Sightron is going with me as trade bait. The old Weaver K4 that took its place will stay there for a good long while.

BTW, I have nothing to gain or lose by badmouthing Sightron. I'm only telling it to you the way it was.

[ 09-13-2003, 07:47: Message edited by: Orion 1 ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Most likely the 95 grain Partition. But I just loaded up some 95 grain Hornady SSTs. If they ever make the 6mm in an Interbond I think that would be ideal. ...

Hey KY Nimrod, Well, I do know the 95gr Partition from a 243Win is an excellent choice. I've probably killed 2 dozen or so with it. Also used the 85gr Partition and saw the same results on about as many Deer.

I've not tried the SSTs or Interbonds. I'd guess you are correct about the Interbonds being a fine Deer bullet though. The design concept is excellent and Hornady sure makes fine bullets.

My current Deer bullet in my 243Win is the good old 90gr Speer Hot-Cor. It was developed for use in the original "slow twist" 6mm Rem because heavier bullets didn't want to stabalize. I keep them in the low-front portion of Deer and they do great.

Almost said I'd never recovered any or the Partitions or Speers, but I believe that is wrong. I think I got one of each from a direct spine shot between the withers as the Deer faced me. May have been a 100gr Hot-Cor though and the 85gr Partition

Anyway, the 95gr partition is a fine bullet in the 243Win for Deer, just as you thought it would be.

Best of luck to all of you this Season.

By the way, I mentioned "low-front" portion of the Deer. It is very important to try to do this because the 24cal holes through the Deer are so small that it is easy for them to become clogged and cut off the blood trail. May not be as big of a deal in KY depending on the amount of understory. But it is very helpful to have two holes bleeding in the Carolinas.

[ 09-13-2003, 17:12: Message edited by: Hot Core ]

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I would echo Hot Cores sentiment that there are scopes for the same price range with proven track records. The VX-II or Bushnell Elite come to mind. Let us know how the Sightron does after a couple hunts.

Posts: 10170 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I actually have had several high hits on deer with various calibers that left no blood trail in spite of an exit. In fact, I took a doe with my bow about 3 years ago and the arrow was a complete pass through...a Muzzy 90 gr broadhead. It hit both lungs high but there wasn't a blood trail for 40-50 yards. Then it began to look like someone took a little spray bottle and lightly misted the plants about waist high. She ran maybe another 30 yards and was obviously spraying the blood from her mouth. I saw her go down from the treestand so there wasn't much chance of losing her.
But there wasn't a drop of blood that came from the arrow wounds... I've had rifle shot deer do similar things. In every instance the chest cavity is absolutely full of blood...

[ 09-13-2003, 20:40: Message edited by: Kentucky Nimrod ]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kentucky Nimrod,
Let me preface this, I am a dyed in the wool Leupold fan and have never tried a Sightron. A friend has a gun shop here locally and is a sightron dealer. He is very impressed with them. We have a very active bench rest group here in town and they are also impressed with them and some participants use them and win on a fairly regular basis in the local shoots. I also found out that when one goes bad, you do not need to send it in. You can take it to any Sightron dealer and he will give you a new one, right off the shelf. I do not know if that is all the models but I do know that my friend does it that way.

[ 09-14-2003, 09:43: Message edited by: Customstox ]

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I actually have had several high hits on deer with various calibers that left no blood trail in spite of an exit. ...In every instance the chest cavity is absolutely full of blood...

Hey KY Nimrod, Same here with many different calibers. Once you run that bullet through the lungs, all the cavity "below" the hole(s) begins filling with blood. As you noticed some will indeed get blown out of the mouth/nose, but it is quite often a mist. Nothing beats two streams of blood coming out to help tracking, other than a good Deer Hound.

Keeping the bullet in the lower 1/3 and the forward 1/4 isn't all that hard for people to do with a bit of practice. The trick is to let them know that is where it needs to go and why it is important. We use a 3-D Decoy to show lots of beginning hunters where to place their shots which is a big help to them.

I seriously doubt I'll ever buy any scope other than Leupold or Burris, but just like "Wstrnhuntr", I'm interested in how well your Sightron performs over time.

one of us
Picture of verhoositz
posted Hide Post
Just a word about an inexpensive scope to use...I am seeing some Bushnell 3200 Elite 3x9x40's being closed out at the local WallyWorlds around the Dallas area at about $150 from a regular retail of $179 & $189 depending on store location.
And for any Texans who read this thread there is a 20% off Coupon in the TP&W Field Guide that is good only at the Bass Pro retail stores in Katy (Houston) or Grapevine (DF/W) that is good until Dec 31 '04 on any one item at regular price excluding guns and boats. Apparantly no limit to the coupon except for a single item purchase. A buddy saved a bunch on a scope!
Ron

Posts: 260 | Location: On the Red River in North Texas | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote