New
Find
Notify
Tools

RAIN COVER
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Will be hunting Bear soon and wondered if anyone had a good idea for a gun cover for protection against the rain? Thanks, Smoker

Posts: 215 | Location: NYS | Registered: 23 August 2003Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
For wet spring bear hunts, I just put a piece of electrician's tape over the muzzle, and add a set of flip-up type Butler Creek scope covers. That's it. I let the rifle get rained on during the course of the hunting day.

I don't put the rifle in a case unless I'm in a boat, and then I use a floatation-type soft case. At night I apply a coat of Birchwood-Casey Sheath to the metal, and I push a patch dampened with Sheath through the barrel. In the morning, I push a dry patch through the barrel and then put a new piece of tape over the muzzle. Sheath displaces moisture extremely well, and I've never had a rust problem by following this regimen, even in rainy SE Alaska with blued metalwork.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Now that sounds like a plan to me. Never had the flip scope covers but you say Butler creek work well? Are these ordered by scope maker and model? The tape idea I've used on my muzzle loader and works great for that. Thank you Allen, appreciate your help. Smoker

Posts: 215 | Location: NYS | Registered: 23 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Allen's advise is right on. One more thing I do is make sure the bolt is degreased prior to the trip. This will keep you from having a misfire if it gets a bit cold out.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind that the bolt action rifle is the decendant of the military mauser which was designed to be an all weather weapon. Thousands of troops relied on a bolt action rifle while fighting from rain soaked muddy trenches.

Take good care of your fine hunting rifle but don't worry about a little rain. Some suggestions that come to mind regarding preping a wood stocked rifle for a wet environment would be to take the action out of the stock and give both the metal and wood a couple of applications of paste wax. Protect the scope with a rubber cover or caps. Modern scopes shuld not fog up but rain drops on the lense are distracting. Protect the bore from mud and water by using tape across the end or use a finger condom. Your doctor can supply these or ask at a pharmacy.

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Allen,s advise is perfect. One thing, however is if it rains real hard or for a long time rain will enter the bbl from the action end, even if you have a cartridge chambered. If the muzzle is taped the bbl can "fill up". To empty the water remove the tape and the round from the chamber and shake it muzzle down a little. I do a lot of backpack hunting in Montana where it can rain long and hard. I made a slip cover out of cotton [actually my wife made it ] and I water proffed it with the same wax that us used on oil cloth hunting coats. Browning or Barbour wax is the easiest to use. The new softer Filson wax is easy to use too. This offers some protection for the rifle durring long intense downpours. It is very light and rolls up to a small package. No matter what you do the rifle will still get wet, just follow Allan,s method, the products he mentions are very good.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of holzauge
posted Hide Post
I love hunting in the rain. God bless Gortex!
Depending on the brl. contour I use medical stuff, i.e. prophylactics, finger cots or the fingers cut off tough vinyl gloves. I mark the white ones with black magic marker to camo them way ahead of use to get rid of the smell. When I need to move in steep places I carry the gun with the sling behind my neck holding a hand on the muzzle and stock to control them. Walking to and from the hunting area I sling the gun over my shoulder muzzle down. I sit in my stand with the muzzle pointed slightly down and a hand over the center of the cope and bolt. The warning that water can get around the cartrige and into the brl. is sound. It's bad for a couple of reasons. A little water in a small caliber varmint brl. can also be exciting.

Posts: 621 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: 06 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just use a piece of tape, usually duct tape, on the muzzle and keep the action under my arm, has worked well for the better part of 50yrs or so hunting here in rainy Washington.

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BOWHUNR
posted Hide Post
I use the electrical tape over the end of the barrel, but a couple of years ago I took it a step further. I bought some black Gor-Tex and took it along with my rifle, to the local boat cover guys. They traced the rifle and made me a cover that closes with velcro on the underside of the rifle. It also has cut outs were the sling swivels are. It works great for carrying the rifle in the slung position, but as you can imagine does not afford a quick shot. It works really well for a Caribou type hunt, where you do alot of walking and have plenty of time to prepare for a shot.

BOWHUNR

Posts: 636 | Location: Omaha, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote