Find
Notify
Tools

Mule Deer
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted
Deer hunting is over for the year for me, so I thought I'd post a couple pictures of this year's deer.

First, I hunted in Wyoming with an old college buddy. After six days of only does and small bucks, we pulled off a great stalk on three bedded bucks and each took one.

A few days ago I filled my tag in New Mexico with my best muley to date (after chasing a larger one for 2.5 days).

To say I'm tickled would be an understatement. I'm not really a trophy hunter, but I'm pretty pleased with these deer and hope to do as well on future hunts.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great deer!!

Posts: 10372 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
outstanding! congratulations!

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Very good deer!

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Nice Bucks Troy way to go!
Tell us about the shots and the rifles and the loads and all the details.
Good going on your Bucks, nice large bodied deer.
Nice pictures as usual too.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
rifle? no no no he used brass nuckles and a butter knife for the first one. master lock in a sock and a red brick for the second. good work troy. two fisted deer slayer. nice lookin deer

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Great job! congrats

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of x-caliber
posted Hide Post
Awesome bucks! beer

X

Posts: 867 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 10 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys - it has been a good year so far. Dave, Crusher, nice to hear from you. I hope my luck holds through elk season and maybe even into my ibex bow hunt in January.

The first deer in Wyoming was shot from 134 yards in the neck with my new Kimber .300 WSM. He was bedded and that was all I could see above the rabbit brush. Although I shoot TSXs in it, there was no need for them on that particular shot. The stalk was the fun part of that hunt, as we had to dodge does, antelope, and cactus for about a mile to get behind and then over the one little knob between us and the bucks. We belly crawled to the top and spotted this buck laying in the shade. We glassed for about 15 minutes looking for the other two that we knew were there somewhere. Finally, after not finding them, I took the shot at the one deer we could see. My buddy Duane's a good host that way clap. The deer didn't even twitch, just laid his head down. At the shot, the three-point on the left stood up, so Duane dumped him right back into his bed. Then the other deer stood up. He hung around for a minute or two before deciding that he was in the wrong place. Wink

The New Mexico deer was shot from 245 yards with my buddy's Savage .270 shooting factory 130 grain CorLokts. We were working through the lower open sage country late in the afternoon and busted this guy out feeding alone in a little pocket. He trotted out to the far treeline and stopped, thinking he was safe. I tried for a shot with my Contender pistol, but the shot was towards the setting sun, which is a no-go with a long eye relief scope (I know now). I was ready to call it off when my buddy handed me his rifle and told me there was no way I should let that buck go. I still almost passed because I really wanted to take a deer with my Contender, but I was talked into it Big Grin and took the shot. One shot to the heart. He went about 40 yards and piled up.

They were both big-bodied deer and added considerably to the freezer.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Congrats!
Nice deer.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WOW!Congratulations!Nice Bucks! thumb

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote