New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brian M.re: Weatherby
 Login/Join

<farland>
posted
Brian, I guess you havent heard about the UltraMags yet. I backed off on my powder with my .300 for Elk season. Only shooting a measly 3250fps with Speer 180 Grand Slams. I was shooting 3300 fps but got slammed in the eye with the scope when I shot my bear. Switched to Re-25 and backed off a little and it even impoved the accuracy. Might have a little to do with not being afraid of the scope. Got a perfect mushroom with the Grand Slam. Can still see the 'GS' printed on the bottom.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Farland,
Perhaps you haven't heard of a chronograph, I doubt that you can claim much over a 300 Wby safely with that new piece of Remington hype...but one hates to admit when he has been had...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:

I doubt that you can claim much over a 300 Wby safely with that new piece of Remington hype.

I agree with Atkinson on this.

When I first saw notices about the new 300 RUM and the velocities it is supposed to achieve, I was not impressed. In my Remington 700 Classic in 300 Weatherby with its 24 in. barrel, I get 3200 to 3300 f.p.s. with 180 grain bullets and 3000 to 3100 with 200 grain ones -- these are using IMR 7828 powder. Those are definitely max loads, but they are safe in my rifle. I suspect the 300 RUM may better those velocities by not more than about 100 f.p.s., but it requires a 26 in. barrel and 10% more powder.

If you think you need the 300 RUM then by all means get it. But if you already have a 300 Weatherby I don't think you need to suffer velocity envy or feel that you've been suddenly relegated to piddling pipsqueak status.

[This message has been edited by LE270 (edited 11-28-2001).]

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Farland-
Do not know why you directed this post to me.Want to refresh my memory?

I know all about the Ultra Mags,and know that they offer nothing over the Weatherbys other than being beltless (which makes no difference to me).One Federal 300 Weatherby load actualy outdoes the 300 Ultra Magnum by 90 FPS with the same bullet weight.

IMO,even the mighty 30/378 Weatherby offers very little over the 300 Weatherby.With the same weight bullets,do you know how much trajectory difference there is between the two at 500 yards according to Weatherbys own trajectory tables.An inch and a half.Can you hold within an inch and a half at 500 yards anywhere other than from an extremely sturdy benchrest and using less than 20x optics?I didn't think so,and neither can I.

Glad to hear you got yourself an elk though.I wouldn't own an Ultra Magnum anyway,cannont stand the newer Model 700s.They lost their lines to me in 1972 or so when they changed to cut checkering.IMO,the older stock with impressed checkering and smaller ebony forend tip was a much nicer stock.

------------------
I'm out to wrong rights,depress the opressed,and generaly make an ass of myself!

Posts: 529 | Location: Humboldt County,CA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote