New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big earthquake in Alaska...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm up in Fairbanks and it was interesting. US Geological survey called it a 7.9 at shallow depth 75 miles S. of Fairbanks (north of Cantwell). We were eating at a restaurant and it broke most of the glasses and dishes in the kitchen. Opened a 3 ft. gap in the Parks Hwy and caused some big mud slides. Nobody seriously hurt as far as I know. It lasted at least 30 seconds on the intial shockwave. Pretty wild.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Dan in Wa>
posted
How far north of Tok would that be?
Thanks Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
The epicenter was mostly due west of Tok but a little north. It was probably 100 miles from Tok. I'm guessing here because there isn't a straight road connecting the two locations. The quake was felt all over the state. The effect in Tok was probably a bit less than in Fairbanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Down here in Cordova we sloshed around for about a minute, no damage tho. We're probably 300 miles southeast of the epicenter; it was a biggie.

I hear the Parks Hiway has a 3' crack near Healy, and the Richardson Hiway is closed due to landslides up around Paxson.

Here's hoping any members in the Interior are ok.

Posts: 99 | Location: Cordova Alaska | Registered: 07 September 2002Reply With Quote
<Blackfoot>
posted
Felt it all the way down here in Kenai. Shook the house pretty good for about 1 minute or more.

one of us
posted Hide Post
We felt the earthquake hear in Whitehorse. At first when I felt my house move, I went out side to check to see if the wife had run into it with the truck. She wasn't around so I realized it had to be an earthquake. Later, I heard stuff was fallen off shelves in wally word.

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was on a ladder fixing things around the house. I stood there waiting for it to stop, but the ground continues sewing back and forth, so I stepped down pretty fast. My wife, who was by the foot of the ladder, asked "how did you move the house so hard?" She had not realized what was happening, so I told her "no, I didn't move the house; it is an earthquake!

No damage around North Pole so far.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
<dannyboy>
posted
My Dad was on business in Dawson City in the airport washroom when it hit. He said it hit fairly strong there.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I know the supervisor at the state DOT here, he talked to his boss, who told him the entire runway at Northway had risen one foot.

Whole lotta shakin' goin' on.

Posts: 99 | Location: Cordova Alaska | Registered: 07 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray I was in North Pole last night. I've got some friends who were eating at the China Pagoda (?) and said the chandeliers were swinging real good and the light poles in the parking lot were bending "in the breeze". They also had some structural damage at the church that I saw last night. He's the pastor at the Assembly of God church in town.