THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Lowa Cold Weather Mountain Boot Selection and Sizing

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lowa Cold Weather Mountain Boot Selection and Sizing
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The Short Summary.

I have a variety of boots but nothing for colder weather and high country work in Montana so I am looking at the Lowa Camino and Tibet boots. I am thinking to go up a half size for heavy Smartwool hunting socks as these are uninsulated boots.

The Longer Version.

Don't you miss those days when just one or two pairs of boots would cover everything you did hunting wise? I had a pair of Hermann Survivors that did it all. If it was a bit too loose ok I just add a sock. If not just stuff your foot in and go. South Texas at 90F or Colorado at 30F was the same. A pair of rubber boots for rain and duck hunting and I was set. But times over 40 years, and my feet , have changed.

I'm off to Montana in December and I know it can be 10F to 60F. I looked at my gear and its all good, except for boots. I have Russell leather boots but they don't have enough room for a heavy sock really. The PHs that did so good in Africa - nope. Snake boots - nope. My Lowa Renegades are a good comfy boot in size 11.5, but I don't think I can stuff that heavy Smartwool sock in it with a foot too. Its a even lower boot too more for hiking. I do have pak boots too but they are not so great for walking.

In an ideal case , I'd like to buy some boots and break them in, use them in Montana for a week, and have them ready to go if I can get an ibex hunt going later.

I like the Lowas models in the Tibets and Caminos, and they look to be good boots and are well regarded. But they are not insulated either, so the sock has to do the work there. No one down here in Texas has them to try on, so it is an order and try and return thing. It could take weeks to get right . . so you go out to the AR Source for help.

I have a multiple time repaired foot and ankle, and as much hardware is in there, I don't have to worry about stiffness much. But in another way I do, as the only movement I have on that side is the foot flex as my ankle is fused solid. So something like the Tibets could be too stiff for me. So the Caminos look like the best answer possibly as maybe they offer somewhat more flex.

I could never get a pair of Russells built in time. Mine fit and work great, but they also required two trips to Russell each to get them that way.

I know a lot of y'all wear the Danner or Kennetrek. The great thing is those are probably available with some insulation, but I think they are too much boot for my bad foot. Plus of course no one in Houston has them to try on either. A city with millions of sportsman with money in the area and we get $100 boots on the rack. Sigh.

So it brings me back to the Lowas. I was thinking I would order a half size up making them a 12 for the heavier Smartwool hunting sock and one Smartwool liner sock. And hope that I can use it with a medium weight sock for the ibex too. I don't need any more boots in the rack at this age.

I posted this in the Backpack Forum too.

What did you guys do? I realize everybody feet are different, and mine sure are now, but thanks for your inputs.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I brought a pair of Mickey Mouse boots home from the Army. Two problems with those.
Much walking and they'd burn my feet up no matter how cold it was, or even ice fishing.
then the tops rotted off. Think they're still in the camp trailer closet yet.

Never got into such as you're talking about though. Old elk hunters years ago used to wear packs. I never got any of those.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5962 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I understand where you're coming from. Lowa does make good boots. I know there is some variance from last to last on boots. So you could wear the same brand of boot and wear 2 different sizes depending on the boot. If you can not try on I would Oder 2 sizes. See what will work for u

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes and you are correct. It is amazing we can't get better selections and have them in town really. I was staying close to the known ( Lowas ) for just that reason as if I go tawdry Danner etc I might be trying on and returning boots for a month. Thanks.

I got some packs packed up outside somewhere too George. Its just my chopped up foot isn't as good as what it used to be. But yeah Ill probably have them along if it looks like the mercury is going to extra low. Thanks.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
Lowa stores shows a number of Lowa dealers in Houston. Many of the REIs. Seems that you should be able to get them to get the boots in so you can try them on for size and and maybe buy.

Good luck.

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Kennetrek boots
Best I ever known and use them for everything

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erict:
Lowa stores shows a number of Lowa dealers in Houston. Many of the REIs. Seems that you should be able to get them to get the boots in so you can try them on for size and and maybe buy.

Good luck.

Thanks. They have the less heavy duty hiking Renegades but slim on the heavier boots.

Thanks boar ^^^. I am still looking. I know Kennetrek guys love em.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two different Lowa boots and the sizing seems pretty consistent to me FWIW. So the idea of upsizing 1/2 would be a must for me; my feet run cold and unless walking I couldn't sit in those temps temps below the 40's without some insulation. I swear by liner socks, and like Smartwool products too.

On REI, if they are on the web site, you can order them to store and if you don't want them get a credit on the spot without the hassles of return shipping. I have done this before. Don't be surprised to see them at one of their next sidewalk garage sales later.

Posts: 444 | Location: Hudson Valley | Registered: 07 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I live in MT and have used the

Men's
Hunting
Hunter GTX® Evo Extreme-Antique Brown

Hunter GTX® Evo Extreme for about 5 years. Best cold weather boots I have seen. Spendy, but worth every penny on a late season hunt.

Ski+3
Kalispell, MT

Posts: 859 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another thought:
A non-insulted boot may also not be water resistant. That could be a problem if there's some rain.

I would always recommend an insulated boot and use the wool socks as an extra item. The best wool blend socks I ever found were Army Issue, usually available in surplus stores.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good recommendation Ski. Thanks. I just have to work around trying them on and the banged up foot and leg.

Yes sir Bob. I always wear wool socks even in Africa and have my Russells sized form them. I just didn't size them for brr cold. Usually when I am doing that I am sitting in Texas either in a stand or in a blind with a different boot. I pretty much stay with SmartWool these days as I know it works for me.

Montana in winter is a different thing altogether.