Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Dog hunting whitetail deer?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted
I have about 20 years dog hunting experience and used to use a Remington 742 (semi-auto) in 30-06 but found that I never used more than one shot.

All the deer I kill are killed with one shot and I now use a bolt action 308. There's an old saying among dog hunters that goes like this.

One shot, dead deer. Two shots, deer down and one to finish it off. Three shots, clean miss. Four shots, not a chance. Five shots, what a joke.

It only takes one. Just concentrate on that first shot. Your gun will come in recoil and by the time you can actually steady down and aim for another shot that deer has run another 100yds and is probably out of your sight range.

The best dog hunters that always kill the deer that come their way almost ALWAYS use only one shot.

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Perforator
posted Hide Post
Thats true for still hunters as well. Usually, when the silence is broken by rapid fire in the distance, you know someone is just chasing deer with those rounds. The lone shot more than likely took the animal cleanly.
My first three or four years hunting (13-16yrs) were in a hunting club that used dogs heavily. I used a shotgun with buckshot and killed six deer over that time. Just don't shoot beyond the range of the load!! I never lost a deer using OO Buck but I never shot over 40yds with it either. Two of those deer were in high gear when they came by!

Posts: 399 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote