New
Find
Notify
Tools

anyone from PA here
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
hey guys i was wondering if there was anyone from around lancaster or yor area on here and if they can tell me how the hunting is around there. ill prolly be relocating from northumberland county and im gonna have to find some new hunting grounds. any help would be appreciated. thanx Bill

Posts: 163 | Location: York Pa | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I'm kind of in the same boat as you, I'm from SW PA and hunt Fayette, Greene, and Westmoreland Counties, but I'm stuck up here at State College right now, days off are generally spent driving around looking for somewhere to hunt up here. Might be the best thing for you to do, as well, check out some farms in the area, call the GC about State Game Lands in the area, etc. Good luck, I know it's hard!

I heal fast and don't scar.

Posts: 433 | Location: Monessen, PA | Registered: 23 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi, thanx justin, i figured thats prolly what ill have to do. the thing that really sucs about it is ill be leaving private land that my father and a couple other guys lease for a hunting club type of thing and ive been fortunate to get get or see nice buc every year ive been hunting it. nuttin lie starting all over again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm down in SC PA, near what I call the cultural center or the universe. A little town with one redlight, seven churches and three gunshops.
You are both near some pretty good hunting. Justin, drive up to Clearfield Co and hit those abandoned strip pits or hit the state forest and game lands. They both go one forever and have quite a bunch of deer, turkeys, squirrels and bears. You can even camp or rent a cabin up at the one of the state parks there.
Bill, you will need to make some friends. Depends on what part of Lancaster you are in, but here you'll need to ask permission to get a place to hunt. THere is some public land over toward lebanon and PPL has some ground over toward the river.
Thank heaven, but neither of you will need to get in a lease or big club with high dues to have good hunting.
Hope this helps. Have hunted both areas and had a good time.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HI, thanx blacflyill have to try those suggestions out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know a bunch of guys from the Lancaster area. They come up here by me and spend the $$$$ for a non- resident license. Maybe that will help answer your question.
I'm just north of Genesee PA.
Phil

NRA Life Member since 1976
philny1@zoominternet.net
877 485-6270
Visa/MC accepted , plus 3%
We have to save the Earth, only planet with beer!!

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history
when everybody stands around reloading".
Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 665 | Location: Western NY- Steuben County | Registered: 02 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Spent 5 years in State College, PA. When I was there, I did the same thing, just find state game lands, and go hunting.
Also, hunted a lot in the Newville area. Shuman's Gun Shop comes to mind, Randy Shuman's old place, not Magee's.

Don

One of Us
Picture of Concho42
posted Hide Post
I lived in Lancaster co for 25 years , The best advice I can give you is , Hunting grounds , and get permission from Amish farmers , there are lots of good areas near Peach Bottom , every time I go down that way ! It get built up faster and faster , Put an add in the community courier about wanting to find a farmer who will let you hunt on his /her land and offer the pay a yearly fee for the privelege . I live in York co now and it's getting built up just as fast ,farmers are selling to contractors and town houses are going up , the pheasants are gone , and Hawks are everywhere !

Don't take the chip !

Posts: 578 | Location: PA | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey there concho if my relocation goes as planned ill be living somewhere around the marietta, mount joy, spring grove area and ill be woring at BAE systems, im just waiting on my results from my weld test and then if i pass, its all systems go, but i was looing in the lancaster area because lie you said yor is getting built up pretty heavily and i now there are alot of farms in lancaster county, are there any places left to hunt in yor county.? Also you prolly see im missing a letter quite a bit, its because my daughter spilled something in my eyboard. Thanx.

One of Us
Picture of Concho42
posted Hide Post
Bill There are several game lands in york co , when you get your licence they are listed in your hunting regulations book , I personally stopped hunting , lost the spirit ! I now take shots with camera .

Don't take the chip !

Posts: 578 | Location: PA | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I know what you mean, I was just getting all the hot spots figured out around my house, and then I have to move! Oh well, I'll make it back enough to make most hunting interesting, but things are looking up around here.

Black Fly and DMB,

I actually have a friend that has a camp in Snow Shoe that's not too far from State College, so if I don't want to go home every weekend, I can probably hook up with him and his buddies around there. There does seem to be a decent amount of public land up here, deer population seems down everywhere, though (seems to be a trend the last few years, but I don't want to open that can of worms). Shouldn't be too bad, but I have to make it home for the 1st day of duck season this weekend, that's a tradition!

I heal fast and don't scar.

Posts: 433 | Location: Monessen, PA | Registered: 23 February 2005Reply With Quote