New
Find
Notify
Tools

NWT September '06 -Your Opinions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Game on the list include Yukon moose, Mt. Caribou and a stray wolf/wolverine. Will be in big bear country but your head has to be 2/3 inside their mouth before you shoot so why worry about taking the 375 H&H.

Several choices to include 338-06 w/225 gr partions, 35 Whelen w/225 partitions and the one I want to take 300 Roy w/180 gr. Barnes X or 200 gr TBBC. Assume shooting any of the above is MOA @100, etc.

This will be a backpack hunt. Lighter is better for this 62 year old body! The Roy is the heaviest and the 35 Whelen lightest and each equipped with proper glass. I expect shots to be 50-250 yards with the longer shots at wolf/wolverine.

All comments and suggestions appreciated.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had some baggage lost for a little while on my hunt to the NWT. It can happen so I prefer common calibers for rifles in case more has to be obtained. I would shoot either the 338-06 or the 35 Whelen.

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sierra, very good point! Has anyone shipped rifle/ammo ahead of hunt to outfitter or can it even be done to the foreign country of Canada?

Along those lines I have heard a passport is going to be required of US citizens at some point?

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muygrande:
Sierra, very good point! Has anyone shipped rifle/ammo ahead of hunt to outfitter or can it even be done to the foreign country of Canada?

Along those lines I have heard a passport is going to be required of US citizens at some point?

Soon but not just yet. Saying that, I never leave the country even into mexico or Canada without my passport. Better safe than sorry.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12602 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fjold, I reside two hours from Mexico and I will NOT even WALK across the border anymore! I hunt the great brush country of S. Texas within sight of the Rio Grande and it is just not fun anymore going ACROSS!

Hopefully, NWT will be much more hospitable!