New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where to go for meat hunts
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Being from California I getting tired of hunting all season to see only a few does and a couple of spikes. Where can a group of meat hunters go deer hunt for a week and fill their freezers for the year. We don’t want to spend a fortune and don’t care about trophys. The antlers just go on the rafters anyways. With the whitetail explosion we keep hearing about there must be some places that need some thinning out.

Marshall Jones

Posts: 192 | Location: Redding, CA | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Freebird_AL
posted Hide Post
Well if you don't mind hunting in a Red State, Alabama would do for a start. Big Grin

Wouldn't you know it! Some smart ass punk from Colorado stirring up shtuff...DaMan! homer Dumbman

Posts: 2590 | Location: LA | Registered: 04 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Mississippi also has a large limit and LOTS of whitetails

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
If you can get a place to hunt, New Jersey, you can shoot as many does as you like from, begining of September(Bow) till the middle of Febuary (Shotgun & Muzzleloader, & Bow). The hard thing in this state is getting a place to hunt! Hell I live here and I have a hard time finding land!

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Michigan is a quantity, not quality state so you could do well with meat hunting on whitetails if that is what you truly want. Don't look for good antlers here, those are rare deer.

We have a huge deer herd which is always young and for out-of-state hunters the tags are reletively inexpensive, especially when you compare them to the west. There is lots of public land here as well.

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gas57
posted Hide Post
On my lease in south Texas, we got 16 doe permits from the state. PM me if you are interested in bagging a few does and one spike per man to fill up the freezer!!!
Jeff in Texas

When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults!

Posts: 903 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Well I took eight very large Mule deer doe in western SD this year. They are selling lots of doe tags in an attempt to curb the population explosion caused by several mild winters and abundant food supply.

Posts: 29 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Put in for a cow elk tag. That's 200-225 lbs of meat right there. You need to shoot a whole bunch of those scrawny Southern Whitetail does to make that kind of weight.

Or, go to Texas, and go pig hunting. A couple of piggies, and lots of sausage in the freezer for the winter. JMO, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As Dutch said, put in for a cow elk tag. WY has reduced price cow elk tags in certain areas. Look at the success rates and draw success for the areas you want to hunt. WY fish and game has this info on their web site. Its almost a sure thing to draw a tag in some areas. I did this a few years ago. It was easier for me to draw a cow elk tag in WY than in my home state of WA.

Posts: 472 | Location: Bothell WA | Registered: 31 July 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of dzpoorjr
posted Hide Post
Buy a yearling cow buffalo hunt off of Ebay for $550 in Wyoming-plenty of tasty meat there! Going in October of this year!

KILL THEM ALL AND LET GOD SORT THEM OUT!

Posts: 62 | Location: SAFFORD, AZ. | Registered: 22 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BG, have you considered an exotic hunt? Axes are about as tasty as it gets. They're bigger than our whitetail and available year round. You can usually get hogs for free. Look on Ebay or there are often adds in the Houston Chronical http://www.chron.com/, look in the classified: sporting: hunting.

Posts: 50 | Location: Cypress, TX | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BiggestGun,

If you and your buddies could come up with $1500 ea. plus your tags you could each get a cow elk. I have a guy right here in Cody that has hundreds of elk winter on his ranch each year and he'd like to take off quite a few. You have to draw but your chances are 100%. Price includes all accomadations,meals etc. for 4 days.

If you ned more info. contact me anytime.

Regards,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13023 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
So just how much meat in the freezer will a person get from a yearling bison cow?

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Seriously, management ranches in the Texas Hill Country are almost begging for hunters to harvest does this year. Do a web search on "texas whitetail package hunts" and you'll find some places.

one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whiteoak:
Seriously, management ranches in the Texas Hill Country are almost begging for hunters to harvest does this year. Do a web search on "texas whitetail package hunts" and you'll find some places.

I did found this site.
http://www.schmidttexashunting.com/whitetail.htm
Wasn't to bad 4 deer for $600 I guess it depends how big the does were.

Handmade paracord rifle slings: paracordcraftsbypatricia@gmail.com

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of dzpoorjr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TCLouis:
So just how much meat in the freezer will a person get from a yearing bison cow?

You will get about 250 lbs of boned out meat!

KILL THEM ALL AND LET GOD SORT THEM OUT!

Posts: 62 | Location: SAFFORD, AZ. | Registered: 22 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
dzpoorjr

Thanx, that is about what I had figured, maybe a bit more!

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote