New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swift Scirocco...130 gr 270 Win
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I took a very good 8 pointer on Saturday using my trusty .270 Win Ruger M77 I've had since 1977. It was a 130 grain Swift Scirroco over 60 grains of H4831. The first shot was quartering away at 270-280 yards and he took a step forward as the trigger broke so it kinda gave him a lead enema which shattered his pelvis and took out about 12 inches of the tail end of his backbone. Luckily it was high enough that it missed all the guts making field dressing much easier and it also didn't touch any of the good meat in the hams. The first shot didn't kill him but it put him down even though he still had use of his front legs and tried getting up several times. A quick second shot through the lungs took care of things. Didn't find the first shot but the second bullet broke both front shoulders and came to rest under the skin on the far front leg. It weighed 113 grains and opened up wonderfully. That's an outstanding 87% weight retention after going through some big bones on both sides of the animal. In my experience the uniformly excellent Nosler partition usually only retains about 60% of its original weight. I'll post pics of deer and bullet as soon as my photo hosting site gets back online. He was a very big bodied deer going 190+ field dressed. The taxidermist estimated his age at around 4 1/2 years.
Not as clean a kill as I like but acceptable considering the longish range and the fact that it was a quick shot only supported off a small sapling...he was playing "tag" with a couple of does and would have been gone in a few seconds if I hadn't attempted the shot. As usual the .270 proved more than a match for deer and after seeing over a foot of smashed pelvis, bone and spine I was very happy with the Swift Scirroco...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 457 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
130 grain Swift next to same bullet recovered from the deer below. Retained weight 113 grains. (87%)

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Hey! Congratulations! Great buck!

What county??

I hunt in Grant, and Pendleton Counties.

I have some 130 Sciroccos but haven't loaded them yet.

one of us
posted Hide Post
He came out of Shelby County. Not a great county for big deer. He's a little better than average for my farm. I've only seen a few bigger on that land in ten years.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Well, nevertheless, he's a real trophy and I'm excited for you. I still shoot my good old Ruger also. I have a left hand MKII M77. Got mine the year they came out. It has a Hart barrel on it now thanks to my mother in law placing the original in a soft case on the basement floor...flooded, rusted...yada yada.

I hope your taxidermist does a good job on that buck. He has a real nice color to him.

one of us
posted Hide Post
KY -

nice buck, and good story~~congratulations!

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice buck KN, and thanks for the report. I'm waiting delevery of a .270 WSM and hope to find an accurate load using either the Scirocco 130 or the Accubond 140.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Well, don't dismiss the TSX, in 130 or 140.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey KY Nimrod, Congratulations from Oldham Co. Looks like an outstanding Deer to me.

Good to see the "bolt open" on the rifle too. Speaks well for you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, the TSX is also on the list. I want to try this one out of my .243 as well to see how it shoots.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote