Find
Notify
Tools

Sell me on your organization...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted
Hi all. I have been looking for a pro-hunting organization to join and support. I am a member of the NRA, lifetime hunter and shooter. I hunt upland game, deer and elk. Hunter's rights and protection of both the game and the access to the game are very important to me. (My 2nd Amnd rights are most important, but that's why I'm a member of the NRA)

I would guess the two I've looked at most closely are RMEF and SCI.

I've read rants against RMEF due to their stance on wolves and against SCI for being too elitist and too concerned with size.

A major plus would be what they do to promote hunting in Arizona.

Thanks in advance.

It is not enough to fight for natural land and the west; it is even more important to enjoy it...So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends...

- Edward Abbey

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I don't think there is a 100% right answer on that question.

SCI is kind of snobby, but not as snobby as FNAWS, or the Grand Slam Club. They are also the largest pro hunting organization in the world.

Boone and Crocket club is good, and not as snobby, but they hate the game ranchers.

RMEF has that wolf thing, but they aren't any less snobby than SCI.

I would be willing to be their is a Arizona sportsmans group, I just don't know the name.

I give money to NRA ILA, SCI, and Boone and Crocket. I have given money to the Duck outfit but .......

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would check and see if Arizona has a foundation assoc with the game and fish dept.

If the foundation is set up correctly, it will be totally separate from the GFP dept. The foundation will operate on their own, with separate accounting, mission, goals and board of directors. I know the foundation in South Dakota has helped with land acquisitions for public hunting, funded scientific studies, helped share assoc costs with hiring personel, and other functions.

I would look there first and see if they are funding projects that you agree with.

I have given up supporting most of the "wildlife" organizations, as I feel the percentage of money being used for overhead vs actual projects is out of line.

I also feel that monetary abuses occur with the administration/executives of those organizations. Extravagant "meetings" that happen to involve hunting on private lands etc.

That's my two cents.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you've found nothing to your liking, how about starting your own organization where you get to write the mission statement? Personally, I'm fond of Ducks Unlimited because there are local (or near local) chapters, and their efforts benefit the entire ecosystem. Now, if an organization sprung up dedicated to making Washington blacktail bucks dumb, just a bit easier to shoot and more likely to hang out on my property, I would hock everything my wife owns to become a legacy member.

Posts: 182 | Location: Western Washington | Registered: 12 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might want to investigate the Arizona chapters of SCI. You have chapters in both Tucson and Phoenix.

I belong to the Mid-Michigan chapter; and while 30% of our annual fund raising activies go to support the International organization, 70% stays at home and is dedicated to supporting local Michigan hunting, shooting, and conservation activities.

Chapter websites: http://www.azsci.com/
http://www.phxsci.org/

Posts: 152 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 03 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
Hey guys, thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

It is not enough to fight for natural land and the west; it is even more important to enjoy it...So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends...

- Edward Abbey

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SCI probably does more to promote our cause than any other organizaiton and like most big organization they have bowed to big money, but I suppose thats is exactly what makes them the most promotional..It is what it is...Much the same can be said about the NRA according to some folks..but again it is what it is and I know of none better for most of us.

I am a member, and most folks that have booths and sell hunts there are just folks, the snobs if that is what you want to call them are the top echolon and they are beginning to pay the price I fear..Last year in Vegas was a prime example of them paying for their greed..The halls of Valhalla were empty by comparison to years past.

My favorite outfit is the Dallas SCI and its not a part of the Vegas SCI, as Dallas parted company with Vegas many years ago.

Anyway thats the way I see it, and thats where I make or break the bank for a living.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote