Find
Notify
Tools

Would you pass this up?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted
Sometimes when out hunting I let a buck go for whatever reason. Most times they're to small even though they're legal, sometimes I've let the only nice one get away, and have dumped one that has poor genetics.

Would you pass this one up? It's supposedly from Colorado. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
it's tough there is a part of me that says let him go and breed and allow other future hunters to expereince the thrill of something unusual in the wild...the other part of me says...take him out of the gene pool

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In some States like Washington you would have a choice it is illegal to shoot Albino game.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dunno, both racks look pretty darn good, especially since I've yet to kill a mulie. I'd take either and be tickled, more so with their apparant maturity than anything. As far as the albino trait goes, makes no difference to me as long as the animal is mature... ie, if the albino in the pic was a forkhorn, I'd pass on him and shoot his buddy. My personal hunting style dictates I go after the older animals, regardless of headgear or aberrant genetic traits.

Posts: 165 | Location: mississippi | Registered: 12 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Drop him in his tracks then have him shoulder mounted!

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Would you pass this up?

Nope!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Norway has a white moose and the officials say it's fair game and in fact a genetic 'defect'. I agree.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Would you pass this one up?

no, so long as it is a legal kill.

it is not an albino. true albinos have no pigments. this one's face and ears have color

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, those pics are going around the net. I've gotten those in several different emails.

I'm getting tired of seeing the electrocuted bear, as well.

Then there is the new world's record elk.....

BJ

Posts: 86 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are two of these bucks that I've seen,
They were located just outside Meeker Co.
I have a picture of one this spring after he had
dropped one side. It is the same buck as in the
picture.
I've seen him a couple times since he rubed off
his velvet. He is indeed a very nice buck.
I read that Cdow is very aware of them and is going to great lenghts to protect them as they
say that are a very sacred to the Indians
All the time I've seen them they have been on private property real close to town.
Charlie

Posts: 165 | Location: unit 10 Colorado | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
I would pass unless I KNEW FOR SURE what was on the other side of that hill. Otherwise I would have one or both on the wall.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Laner
posted Hide Post
Stick a fork in Whitey. He's done.

Arguing on the internet is like competing in the Special Olympics; even if you win, you're still retarded.

Posts: 99 | Location: Hays, Kansas | Registered: 02 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jay Johnson:
In some States like Washington you would have a choice it is illegal to shoot Albino game.

Illegal to shoot albino game??? Where did you get that info from??????

IV

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
It tdepends where I'm shooting.

If I was in the states and if I had one buck tag then blondie would get the good news and go on the wall.

Here in Englands we have a number of White Fallow deer. They are really lovely to see but we tend not to shoot them. This is purely because having white deer in the herd meand we can shoot more deer through the season because they are so much more visible. When you spot a white one then you will invariably have other "normal" coloured deer near to him/her.

It just helps to spot the herd that bit earlier.

Rgds,
Kiri.

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IdahoVandal

In Wis it is illegal to shoot albino deer.

Why who knows some one thinks they are cute or somthing.

If it was legal I would shoot one.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
There are more states where it is illegal to kill a "White Deer" Albino or not than most people think.

If it were me, I would take the white one for two reasons.
1. If mule deer or whitetails were meant to be white, they would be and the normal colored ones would be the mutants.

2. Unless I am missing something, the white aoppears to have a loty more antler than the normal colored buck.

Just my opinion.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Irish Paul
posted Hide Post
I might be tempted to let them both get into the right position, and drop 'em both with one shot!! Wink

Never use a cat's arse to hold a tea-towel.

Posts: 280 | Location: California/Ireland | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
When I lived in Iowa, I seem to recall the regulations stating that it is illegal to kill any deer that is mostly white. This would include piebalds, and obviously albinos.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure it is illegal in MN also

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BANG!

Posts: 345 | Location: Dauphin Island, Alabama, USA | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is illegal in Michigan. A guy near me shot an almost albino, I guess it was albino but I think he is getting off due to the discoloration around the inside of his legs and hocks. I watched a wide 10 pt last night for about 30 mins. It is one of the biggest bucks I have ever seen here. I would not shoot, I just think that although they would make a nice trophy, hell they are better off out there. Kind of neat to see for everyone

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
Take the white one and get a full body mount!!

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As long as the shot is safe, I cannot see what is on the otherside of the hill, I would take either one and be happy as hell.

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No! mgun

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I hope this is a joke.

He would make a nice mount and some fine meat for the table as well.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
These guys hang just out of Meeker. A guy at work is from there and his Aunt sent them, not sure how she got them or if she's the photog.

I was curious how ya'll would react. It's no joke (Reloader) as I've never thought how I'd react to it myself. On one hand it is cool to see something like this yourself and I thought I may let Blondie go so others would see him. Then, I figured that if it was me and there were no restrictions against it, I'd have one heck of a unique mount! If I didn't take him one of you guy's would be the next one along and he'd be on your wall, and nobody else would see him anyway.

I guess I have mixed feelings about it in some ways. He should be culled from the gene pool, but it is cool in a way to have one around. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd pass on it, and admire it...

Of course one may have a different attitude the moment he is in his scope site and the season is getting later..... lol

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
IdahoVandal

In Wis it is illegal to shoot albino deer.

Why who knows some one thinks they are cute or somthing.

If it was legal I would shoot one.

That may be true in Wisconsin?, however in Washington, I would be very curious as to where this information came from. I am currently engaged in mule deer and whitetail research in Washington and have never heard of such a harvest restriction.

IV

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
i have also heard that it's illegal. i've only hunted in washington, and if i saw a white deer, i'd pass. it's not worth it to face a fine if it is true, and i am pretty sure it is. i'll look in the regs....

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What Grizzly said BANG Big Grin

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

Stupid people should not breed

DRSS
NRA Life Member
Owner of USOC Adventure TV

Posts: 923 | Location: Phx Az and the Hills of Ohio | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
I sure would and it would make a great full mount... mgun

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Oklahoma, it is illegal to shoot a white deer without written permission from the wildlife department. Some indian tribes believe that the white animals are spiritual or something. Anyway, here a while back before the law was adopted, a young hunter legally shot a nice white phased whitetail buck. The local indian tribes went nuts on this kid, so the law was adopted. Kind of a goofy law IMO.

Posts: 175 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would legally shoot him in a heartbeat, then off to the taxidermist for a full body mount.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would shoot it ------with my camera!

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I thought there would be more people willing to pass. It never crossed my mind that there would be a deciscion like this that may have to be made in a matter of seconds. Nate

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
BANG! Now ... what was the question again?

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
here is the answer i got from the department of wildlife in Washington.

"You can hunt and kill an albino deer or elk.

Mary Snell, Customer Service
Fish & Wildlife
2315 North Discovery Place
Spokane Valley, WA 99216
509.921.2440 fax"

>>> "heath harmon" <heath_harmon@hotmail.com> 10/11/2006 9:45 PM >>>
Hello. While discussing hunting in Washington with friends, we got on the
topic of albino and white animals. It is my understanding that it is
illegal to kill albino or white game animals such as deer and elk. I looked
through the hunting regulations and say no mention of it being legal or
illegal, so I was hoping you may be of some help. Any information you can
provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Heath Harmon

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know if it is the same deer, but I was in Meeker CO last week buying certified hay for my hunting trip. The local guy I bought the hay from said that there was a nice Albino Mulie grazing the hay meadows next to town. He said that the locals have been seeing this deer for about 4 years now. The country in the background sure looks like it could be in the Meeker area.

Guess I should read all the post before I reply, Hysider said it all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I grew up in Meeker and that pic is from Meeker. Alaska has the law in one sub unit you can't shoot albino or even mostly white moose. And for an animal to be an albino does it not have to have pink eyes which that deer clearly does not.

Posts: 34 | Location: North Pole Alaska | Registered: 14 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of splinterhands
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reloader:
I hope this is a joke.

He would make a nice mount and some fine meat for the table as well.

Reloader

"deer--the other white meat" Big Grin

"I'm smiling because they haven't found the bodies."

Posts: 1081 | Location: Pearisburg Virginia | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote