Notify
Tools

A Novice Asks................Part II
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lynn D
posted
Ladie(s) and Gentlemen,

I wonder could you answer the following question(s) ? I was recently advised on this forum (AR) to ask questions and I would get answers, so I am asking away. After all you can't learn unless you ask [Smile] .

1. Do you hunt one specific type of game and if so why ? What made you decide on that specific type ? ie: native to your area, type of game that your family members hunted and therefore it is also your game of choice, etc ?

2. If you hunt more than one could you give me an idea of why you like hunting those specific types of game ?

3. If you hunt with a rifle/gun, why so as opposed to a bow as I see many others do ?

4. If bowhunters frequent this board, why was bowhunting your method of choice ?

I am interested in deer hunting here in Canada, and learning about hunting, and the nature of hunters as much as possible. My choice of deer is down to influence by my best friend, my father, and my brother who were/are all deer hunters.

Thanks,

Lynn D

Posts: 1187 | Location: Quebec, Canada | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Lynn,

I hunt with both firearms and archery equipment and gave ya an answer on the bowhunting forum. Good luck with your research!

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
<338Lapua>
posted
Answers:

1. I hunt just about any type of game, though big game is my favorite (with jackrabbits a close second).

2. I've always just been interested in big game hunting, my interest in varmints came along just a few years ago, and tried Ducks year before last. Every year I try to expand my "hunting horizon" to something new.

3. I used to bow hunt when I was younger, just kinda got out of it. Prefer rifle hunting now, no real good reason.

4. When I was bow hunting, it was popular in my holler, and it was cheap enough to talk my parents into getting me one. I didn't get my first rifle until I joined the military.

Hope this helps.

Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
OK Lynn, no wizzing jokes this time.
1. No.
2. I hunt whitetail (most common), mule deer, elk, moose, bear once in a while, caribou when I'm up north, sheep, and one I haven't managed yet (but I want to) goats. I hunt these animals because that is what we have here and I like being in the bush hunting. Even if a shot is never fired, or arrow loosed, I always feel like I've had a successful hunt simply by hunting.
3. I have hunted with a bow before, and I hope to someday again. I have tendonitis problems now which make drawing a bow difficult, at best. I haven't sold any of my bow gear though (hope springs eternal).

I guess the hunting itself, being in the mountains/wilderness, these experiances are more important to me then the final result. When I was younger getting the animal was paramount, but I no longer feel that way. When I was a kid, we lived on game because it was an inexpensive way to augment the freezer, now days that isn't a viable reason (at least for me). I do prefer the taste of game meat, and I think it's healthier for you, what with all the chemicals they put into feed now days. But mostly it's being out there, enjoying the solitude and beauty of the wilderness (oh my, now I'm waxing poetically, good grief). FWIW Lynn, I hope this helps a little. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lynn D:

1. Do you hunt one specific type of game and if so why ?

No. I hunt whatever I can afford.

quote:

What made you decide on that specific type ?

My wallet.

quote:

2. If you hunt more than one could you give me an idea of why you like hunting those specific types of game ?

I like hunting bears because I love how incredibly silent they are for their size, until they suddenly "appear" in front of you when you least expect it. Most anything else I hunt I enjoy for the experience of it and for the scenery.

quote:

3. If you hunt with a rifle/gun, why so as opposed to a bow as I see many others do ?

I used to be a bowhunter, but I gave it up because I prefer recoil and that wonderful "boom" sound. I also prefer to apply as much maximum firepower on an animal to put it down as quickly as possible with one shot, versus having it running around with an arrow stuck in its sides. I was a good bowhunter and an even better archer (I took some ribbons here and there in competitions) but, again, there's no recoil and no "boom." Using a rifle or revolver is immediately gratifying. When I shoot something, I want it to drop. "Now."

Russ

[ 11-28-2002, 05:33: Message edited by: Russell E. Taylor ]

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunt deer, antelope, and birds; I don't get out as often as I'd like, and try to hunt places where all of these creatures are in season at once. I eat pretty much everything I shoot, and don't bother with varmints unless they're in my garden. I am not good enough yet at shooting with a bow or sneaking close enough, so have not done much archery hunting. Just one of those things, maybe fixable sometime in the future.

Posts: 14603 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
I hunt mostly exotics, Blackbuck Antelope, Axis deer, Sika deer. Occasionally whitetail when I get invited on a cull hunt. I take customers hunting and suppliers take me hunting and that's usually what people I go with like to hunt.

I hunt with rifles mostly, just starting with pistols.

Tendon problems with my elbow prohibit hunting with a bow, but I never tried it. Used to go bear and boar hunting with people back east who only bow hunted, they always invited me because I carried a rifle or shotgun. You just can't seem to stop a Russian Boar with an arrow, but a decent rifle/shotgun shot puts them down right now.Bows really never seemed very humane to me, I have friends that bow hunt now and they will occassionally spine a deer and drop it. That seems to be pretty rare, more often we end up tracking for a couple of hours to find the deer they shot. Now I know the bow hunters will be out to get me but if they want to bow hunt I have no problem with it, it's just not for me.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have or would hunt virtually everything on the North American continent as circumstances permit. I prefer upland game to others though most of my sport has related to deer hunting in recent years. If I can ever figure out how to cook clays I'll have it knocked...
The only exception to the above would be water fowl. For inexplicable reasons it has never appealed to me. Give me a covey rise in the palmetto scrub any ol' crisp fall morning and I'm in heaven...
Don't hunt with bows. I do not have issues with those that do, and am fully conversant with their deadly nature. I too am reluctant to inflict prolonged suffering on wildlife, however long that may be. It is a personal choice.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunt whatever happens to be in season at the time, but have a real soft spot for elk. The country they live in and the experience of chasing them is incredible. Plus I live in the state with the biggest herds of them so it;s easy for me to go after them.

I use a rifle and also blackpowder firearms. I've played with a bow, but am not able to devote the necessary time in practice to get good enough with one to shoot at a live target. My personnel ethics apply here.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
my favorite game is the mule deer. i like the country that they live in. i also think that its becase i have had great sucess with it. there are big one close to the city. i took up bow hunting so that i can hunt them every year and not just every 4 years.

i also like to hunt whitetail, but not as much as mule deer.

Posts: 159 | Location: Saskatchewan  | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like all hunting for the most part...I like to hunt one specific animal at a time but sometimes if opertunity strikes and I see another species that has a great set of horns, I will shoot it...I have shot some nice Kudu while hunting Cape Buffalo and some nice deer while hunting elk and visa versa....

I'm in the hunting business and I hunt a lot and long each year.

I have hunted with a bow in the past but don't anymore. I see a lot of wounded animals by bow hunters who are unqualified with a bow...Too many just want to get that extra tag and cannot shoot a bow, won't practice and don't care...

It is one of my pet peeves and a thorn in the side of the "real bowhunters" who have sharp arrows and the skill to perform properly....Sure this is true in rifle hunting, but the rifle is a better killer, more accurate and requires less skill therefore more room for error...

I prefer to hunt Africa for the most part. I like to hunt dangerous game by choice..although I shoot deer and elk every year and a Bison hunt is in the books each year from now on since I have found a fair chase hunt and the meat is so darn good...this may be my favorite hunt today.

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ladie(s) and Gentlemen,

1. Do you hunt one specific type of game and if so why ? What made you decide on that specific type ? ie: native to your area, type of game that your family members hunted and therefore it is also your game of choice, etc ?

Hunting combines the practical with the romantic and nostalgic. I'll generally hunt anything I can. Hunting is a year 'round sport wherever I live. You can only shoot during open seasons, but there is much more to hunting than just stalking and killing. IMO killing is to hunting what sex is to marriage: if that's all you're there for, you're missing the best of it.

quote:
Migratory birds - nostalgia (used to with dad); the details of planning, preparing, strategy and tactics; you will spend more time shooting at game on any given day with ducks & geese than in a whole season of big game.

Grouse - a very nice, potable target of opportunity when hunting other species.

Ungulates: deer, goat, moose, elk - the joy of the hunt; the meat.

Bears: the thrill, the hide, the meat, the spring bear hunt after a long winter.

Small game: the meat and the off season fun.

quote:
I really enjoy shooting rifles and shotguns. I do not have enough time and money to get up to speed with archery. I used to shoot recurve, but have never shot compound.

Posts: 36231 | Location: Laughing so hard I can barely type.  | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
I hunt any type of big game that I can get a tag for. I used to be a fanatical trophy Mule Deer hunter, and if I had the time and the money, it would still be my favorite type of hunting. I used to pass up bucks bigger than most of the ones being displayed in gun rags.
My favorite hunting now days is Waterfowl. In my old age, I shoot a lot less and watch a lot more. My favorite time is about 20 minutes after shooting hours, watching a sky that empty 30 minutes before suddenly fill up with birds, against the sunset.
I won't hunt with a bow anymore, and I personally wish they would cancel the bowhunt, or at least make it less appealing for those who aren't dedicated bowhunter. I hear of three animals being wounded and lost for each successful hunt. The bow season has got to be a coyote's favorite time of year.

one of us
posted Hide Post
1. Do you hunt one specific type of game and if so why ?
My #1 love will probably always be whitetail deer, because that's what I cut my teeth on and feel like I know best. However I truly enjoy hunting other types of big game. Thus far have taken; whitetail, mule deer, antelope, moose, black bear, dall sheep, caribou, timber wolf & coyotes. Next in line will be elk and grizz.

Each species of big game hunting is fun, because of the peculiarities of the animals and the variety of terrain you encounter, also I'm trying to build a trophy collection. For downright fun in awesome country it's hard to beat a September Alaska moose hunt.

I hunt with rifle, bow, shotgun, muzzle loader and have tried pistol. Mainly because of the different seasons and regulations, hunting with multiple weapons provides more opportunity.

4. If bowhunters frequent this board, why was bowhunting your method of choice ?
For whitetail deer around home, I'll take archery any day over firearms. Nice long season, beautiful weather, minimal hunting pressure, etc. I consider hunting whitetails in farm country with archery tackle Great Sport !
On the other hand, I don't have much interest in toting my bow to Alaska or western States. That big wide open country is made for centerfire rifles.

Posts: 199 | Location: North Central Indiana | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lynn D
posted Hide Post
I want to thank all of you for taking the time to answer my questions. I am amazed at the diversity of hunters in their likes, dislikes, objectives for hunting and their reasons for doing so. It truly has been a learning experience. After reading them I have a question or two more for each of you, if you do not mind answering them. If you do then I will understand.

Lynn D

---

Aspen Hill Farm

I will respond to your answer in the bowhunting section. Thanks for answering me.

A great admirer of yours,

Lynn D

----

338Lapua

Being new at hunting could you explain varmints to me ? And what peaked your interest in them ? Do they give you as much challenge ?

Thanks,

Lynn D

----

dan belisle

Having hunted pretty well everything your neck of the woods has to offer in big game, given the opportunity to go to another country and hunt the game of your choice, where would it be, and what would it be ? If applicable why ? Specific challenge associated with the game ? Or the terrain ? Or both ?

Thanks,

Your Fellow Frozen Canadian, Lynn D

----

Russell E. Taylor

What is your favourite rifle to hunt game with ? What specific game ? And what qualities does it have that makes it your favorite ?

Thanks,

Lynn D

----

TomP

Birds ? Could you tell me what kinds of birds ? I get the feeling they would be pretty hard to hunt, as opposed to land based game, am I right or wrong ?

Thanks,

Lynn D

----

browningguy,

Dealing with hunters as much as you do, what one piece of good advice would you give me as a new hunter that would help me in my journey through life as a hunter ?

Thanks,

Lynn D

----

DigitalDan

What game have you yet to hunt in North America that you would love to, if circunstances were made so as to allow it ?

Thanks.

Lynn D

----

MAC

I am sure you remember the first Elk you shot, could you relate the experience to me ? I would love to hear it.

Thanks,

Lynn D

----

Sask_Hunter

Mule Deer ? I have never seen one, not even a picture I think. Could you describe the terrian/country they live in ?

Thanks,

Lynn D

----

Atkinson

What one species of game that is on the endangered species/therefore unabtainable list would you love to hunt and why ? Where would this particular species live ?

Thanks,

Lynn D

----

BBBruce

If it is okay to ask, is there any one migratory bird that you and your Dad loved to hunt ? Did your love of hunting come from the time shared with your Dad doing it ?

Thanks,

Lynn D

----

OldFart

Is there a moment fleeting where you feel sadness for the game you have just shot ? I am told that it is something that depends on the individual, but I believe that for just a moment it would.

Thanks,

Lynn D

----

Steiny

Alaska Moose ???? Just the thought of being within viewing range scares me to death. What was your feelings the first time you went hunting for one, what was running through your mind considering the enormity of them ?

Thanks,

Lynn D

[ 12-05-2002, 13:48: Message edited by: Lynn D ]

Posts: 1187 | Location: Quebec, Canada | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
<338Lapua>
posted
Lynn,

Varmints are generally considered non-game animals that either do damage to your property or carry disease. The most common varmints are prarie dogs, jackrabbits, coyotes, fox, ground hogs, ground squirrels, and crows.

As far as the challenge they offer, they're all different. Prarie dogs offer the opportunity to see just how far you can take one or how many you can get in a day. Fox, 'yotes, and crows are pretty wary animals and must be called in. Jacks and ground hogs are probably the easiest but still a lot of fun to exterminate.

The reason for taking these critters are prarie dogs tear up property and carry the bubonic plague. Yotes and fox eat young turkey, rabbits and other game animals and yotes will take the occasional house cat or small dog. Farmers with sheep will usually pay for yote tales. Crows are just annoying as hell. Ground Hogs make GIANT holes in the ground and the tunnels they dig collapse. All you have to do is find a farmer who has had his tractor axle broken or the leg of cow broken buy dropping into one of these holes and you will have a place to hunt Ground hogs for life.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lynn D

Let's see, you wanted to know about my first elk.

First let me say that I started out being more of a deer hunter and got started to get serious about elk when I was about 18 years old. I began hunting deer at about 9 years old with my father. Back then, Colorado was world famous for it's mule deer hunting and elk were kind of a sideline item. They were something you took if you got the chance, but deer were the primary game animal. That has changed in the last 10 years of course.

I started to get interested in black powder firearms and hunting elk at about the same time in my life. It only seemed natural to hunt elk first with black powder firearms and not deer. I obtained a Thompson Center Renegade rifle in 54 caliber and spent months shooting and getting familiar with it. Black powder elk season is usually in Sept in Colorado and back then the tags were either sex licenses. That basically meant that anything wearing elk hair was legal game. Besides, at that time of the year the bulls are with their cows and the bugles make them a little easier to pinpoint.

I decided to hunt the Gore Pass area west of Kremmling Colorado since I was familiar with the area and knew it held a pretty good elk population. It also had good sources of water available for the game to utilize. That's important because fall in the Rockies can be pretty dry.

The first couple of days of the hunt didn't produce much. It was a very dry fall that year and the game was holed up in very heavy cover and it was nearly impossible to stalk quietly. I was only 18 that fall and didn't have the patience to sit and watch a waterhole all day. Still dont. My style of hunting has always been to spot and stalk. Nothing against the stand hunters mind you, but I like to move.

On the third day, I was slipping along a ridge through some very heavy pine trees. This type of cover is known as "black timber" where I come from. Due to the heavy growth, it was quite a bit cooler and quieter there. I also knew that there were some water seeps that layed directly against the ridge I was on. In the early evening while I was starting to make my way back to camp, which was bout 3 miles away, I came around a large tree and nearly bumped into a big cow elk. I mean she was right there. My rifle fired as soon as it hit my shoulder and I was so close I didn't even have to aim. She took off up the hill after the shot and I took a total of 4 steps to the first blood sign! I was close enough to her that I could have taken her hostage. [Big Grin]

She went about 50 yards and fell in the middle of a small clearing in the trees. I'll never forget the sight of that beautiful animal lying in a small patch of sunlight surrounded by heavy timber. I became an elk hunter that day and will remain one for as long as I can get around the mountains. When the day comes that I can't get around, I'll still go to the mountains during elk season just to sit by a campfire and remember past days.

I've hunted lots of different places since then and have taken many other species, but when the aspens start changing and the weather gets cool, my thought turn to my beloved Rocky Mountains and elk. Wall tents, wood smoke, trout steams and a the bugle of a herd bull are as close to heaven as I've ever been.

Life is a collection of memories and experiences. I cherish mine. [Smile]

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lynn - It occurs to me I may be the "Odd Man Out" of your survey. But then I'm kinda odd anyway.

I DO hunt one kind of game. Rocks.

Yep, you read right. I haven't specifically hunted anything living for a couple of years now. My time and opportunity for hunting have gotten so blasted limited that when I go...I want 100 % guarantee of success every time. So, I've invented "Rock Hunting."

Generally I'll meet my son somewhere in New Mexico and we will go some place totally isolated, wild and crazy. We set up on a hilltop or some such with great field of view, drag out a couple hundred rds of ammo for our rifles and we may sit there half a day shooting at rocks anywhere from 100 yds to 1,000.

It's a lot of fun and has taught me a lot about shooting I never took the time to really master. Companionship is 100% since we are sitting side by side and can celebrate or laugh at each shot together.

There is nothing to clean and no limit. Only thing that gets hurt is my shoulder.

This summer I did sort of slip off the wagon on one or our "Rock Hunts." The crows were plentiful and we did the sniper thing on several of them.

Yep, I've bow hunted. Bow hunting is great fun. Bow killing sucks. When I shoot something, I prefer it to be dead before it hits the ground. Bow hunting isn't that way. Arrows kill, but seldom quickly. That just makes me want to barf. (Not that I am attacking bow hunters! It just a personal preference.)

I ruined myself for hunting starting in 1980 when I moved out into the country and began living with all the critters and studying them. I won't elaborate on the transformation from mad dog killer to "bunny hugger." But I am one pretty much.

The things that really turn me on to kill are things like skunks, starlings, crows, and such.

It's wild when I consider my past. The first 40 years of my life I was like Adolph Eichmann to the jackrabbits. I worked hard towards the "final solution."

The last jackrabbit I shot was half a dozen years ago. I took my boss out to New Mexico and we were mostly rock hunting when a big lone J-rab jumped up and trotted out to 75 yds. Boss said, "Shoot him." And I gladly complied. We walked out to look at the poor guy and my boss said, "Well, you just killed the last rabbit. There aren't any more." (We hadn't seen any all morning...so it was almost believable.)

Anyway, I haven't shot a jackrabbit since. Maybe he WAS my last jackrabbit. [Eek!]

Anyway, why am I even here on these forums? Am I a PETA spy? [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

No, I've never gotten over my love of firearms, reloading and THE HUNT. I appreciate a good hunting story as much as Atkinson. I can still get the juices flowing.

I'm just not much of a trigger man anymore. [Frown] Somewhere along the line I changed...at least partially.

Hope this makes a little sense. [Cool]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Russell E. Taylor

What is your favourite rifle to hunt game with ? What specific game ? And what qualities does it have that makes it your favorite ?

Thanks,

Lynn D

My .416 Remington Magnum.

Bears.

It was my first custom rifle, built on an Enfield P-14 action. It is accurate beyond words. I love watching my powder hopper go down quickly with each round I load. I'm big, it's big, the ammo is big. Whatever I shoot with it, dies. I have a load worked up with moly-coated 350-grain Speer Mag Tips and 93.0 grains of BL-C(2) that is very flat but hard-hitting. I have another load with moly-coated 400-grain Barnes "X" bullets that will stop anything on the face of the planet -- bears, elephants, armored cars, whatever.

I've hunted deer with it, and would take it with me for nilgai (if I ever get the chance), but mostly I have it for bear (and cape buffalo, which I'll never afford to hunt, I'm sure).

Russ

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Lynn

Edible birds include woodcock, quail, pheasants, grouse, ducks, geese, and more that I wouldn't remember offhand. Did I mention grouse? There are ruffed grouse in most parts of the country that have mountains and woodland, and sage grouse in much of the western sage flats. Nice bird, excellent roasted like turkey. Mostly I walk around until one flies up and get it with a 20 gauge shotgun ( 3-inch magnum #4 shot ). If I miss, I watch to see where it lands and go there next.

Then there's waterfowl. Most of the time decoys are needed for either ducks or geese. There are exceptions, and I dearly love sneakable ducks. Same 20 gauge with steel shot, same basic recipes. I have not had much luck with geese, and this is a matter that needs attention. Goose is also an excellent bird for eating.

Posts: 14603 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
1. I grew up a wingshooter. Here in SW Arizona, dove and quail are plentiful. My father and I made September 1st (the opening day of dove season) our own national holiday since before I was old enough to shoot. And every year we'd spend several days in the Kofa Game Range hunting quail while marveling at the beautiful country. While we would occasionally go deer and elk hunting, it was never a big thing for us until the last few years. With dad getting an elk two years ago and my deer this year, I imagine we'll be fighting that much harder in the future. [Wink] I'm also looking forward to hunting pheasant in PA with my uncle-in-law this Christmas. Although dove will probably always be my first love.

2. Dove and quail are so much fun because the shooting is two totally different types. Here the dove are for high passing shots while the quail explode from the creosotes and dart between the palo verdes. And big game hunting is different from that. It's just a love of the outdoors, guns and hunting.

3 & 4. I've never hunted with a bow, but don't have anything against it. My father was never a bowhunter so I was never exposed to it I guess.

[ 12-06-2002, 00:21: Message edited by: JLHeard ]

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lynn D
posted Hide Post
Ann and Gentlemen,

It seems I have somehow disturbed the nest of one of your fellow hunters who disapproves of my asking questions on this forum. The "gentleman" for lack of a better word that could be posted here has advised that " I go out and get some years of hunting under my belt" before assuming I have the right to post amongst those who are already true sportsmen. Mind you in the same sentence he hinted he is under the assumption that I have some evil agenda against hunters, and that I am an anti-gun looking to collect top secret information from you all and sell it to the enemy. He was also quite concerned that I was a woman intersted in hunting, apparently that is taboo in his eyes. He did not seem to be able to stick to one reason why I should not be posting here.So all in all, I am damned if I do, and damned if I don't, whichever way I look at it he disapproves of me.

My answer to him is: GET OVER IT BUD, I AM HERE TO STAY !

I came to this forum on the suggestion of my best friend who has encouraged my interest in hunting, and my quest for knowledge on the subject. I have stayed because of the comradery and knowledge I have gained from it. I have asked my questions out of common interest and desire to learn. Answering my questions is a choice of the poster, everyone has the right to post me, or ignore me. I do not mean in any way to disturb the flow of talk and knowledge that is exchanged on this forum. If I offend any of you with my questions I apologize. But if I don't ask I will never know, and loss of the opportunity to derive knowledge is a sad thing.

Lynn D

[ 12-06-2002, 01:52: Message edited by: Lynn D ]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lynn, ignore the fools and narrow minded. Anyone who posts here more than about twice is going to catch some lip from someone about something.

As one of my fellows at work says, "Be like a duck. Let it roll off you like water."

You're doing good girl. Your wit is always sharp and your questions thought provoking.

Please continue. [Smile]

[ 12-06-2002, 01:58: Message edited by: Pecos45 ]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steiny - Alaska Moose ???? Just the thought of being within viewing range scares me to death. What was your feelings the first time you went hunting for one, what was running through your mind considering the enormity of them ?

Just something I always wanted to do, so I scraped up the cash and pulled it off. Like most other game animals, they go out of their way to avoid contact with humans, so really no reason to be fearful.

Only shot I had was about 400 yards which is a bit further than I like, so I was a little uneasy, however he piled up stone dead. Looking back on it, it's pretty hard for any kind of a decent rifleman to miss hitting a moose's boiler room.

Just seeing the Alaskan countryside in September when things started changing colors made the whole deal worthwhile. The moose was a bonus.

Also ... Ask whatever questions you'd like and don't worry about the B.S. you might hear.

Posts: 199 | Location: North Central Indiana | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lynn D

I echo Pecos45 on his above post. Never second guess yourself or try to justify yourself to a fool. You can and should feel free to ask any person that posts here for advice or info.

I for one am happy to help any and all new hunters. Without new hunters and especially new female hunters we will see our sport and way of life die out. Anyone that can not realize that is simply ignorant.

Most of the people that post here have our e-mail addresses on our profiles. If you are uncomfortable asking questions in public on the forum, use the e-mails to ask them privately.

Glad to hear that you are here to stay. I for one say WELCOME!!!!!!!!!

Mac

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hunting involves more effort from the hunter than just walking in the woods.Because you put more in ,you get more out.

Posts: 480 | Location: B.C.,Canada | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Lynn,

I've answered you on the bowhunting forum. As far as the person who is beging so negative. Here's some advice: They are like hairballs, cough hard enough and it goes away! Old Chinese proverb. [Eek!]

Have a good one!

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth, my favorite hunting is rabbits. Very cheap (all you need is a .22, some ammo, and gas to get you to your stomping grounds) and very, very challenging. They're so small, hard to see, and fast, and have some very acute senses, making a good, close stalk a very rewarding experience. They taste great and are a beautiful little animal to see in the wild. I could spend half a hunt just eyeing one thru my binoculars, observing, studying, getting to appreciate it's purpose and habits. A true delight!

The actual hunting experience you get out of it from spot and stalk hunting serves well for just about any other game animal on the planet. You'll become a much more confident hunter with the experience. Just ask these guys how many of them spent their early years taking rabbits and squirrels and how accomplished some of them have become now. The techniques and skills you develop can be applied to almost any situation or animal. I look forward to hunting other game after a successful small game hunt, around here, most notably whitetail deer and black bear, but find I keep going back to the small stuff myself.

You've certainly come to the right place for information for new hunters. I mean, I've only been hunting a little while since my Dad got back into it and wanted to get me interested, maybe 5 years at the most with only a half dozen or so big game animals, but collectively, this group is exceptional and has a lot of experience and advise to offer, aside from some few close-minded people, people like Dan Belisle, Ray Atkinson, Pecos45, Russell E. Taylor, and Ann from Aspen Hill are some of the best minds I've ever seen on the subject of hunting. Read a lot and ask a lot of questions! These are good people and won't lead you wrong.

Best of luck,
Mike

Posts: 169 | Location: Winnipeg, MB. | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Lynn. The next horizon for hunting for me will be Africa. i've worked with some of the African Railways, so I'm familiar with the get there/go where thing. I was supposed to go on another contract there, but ticker problems put a halt to that, at least for now. Kudu and Sable seem to me to be beautiful animals, and are high on my list. Sparring with buffaloe and lion rank up there pretty high as well. I've no desire to hunt elephant, rhino, hippo, or giraffe. I don't really know why, but they just don't ever strike me as prey. FWIW - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
First off, Lynn D, let me welcome you to the Accurate Reloading web-site, and to say I'm sorry for being so late in replying to your post, but I post mostly on the African hunting, and Big bore forums, and seldom if ever post here. I just saw your post today!

Let me suggest two more questions you might have asked, that might have shed a little more light on the answers you get. That is, "the age of the respondant, and how long he/she has hunted". Why he hunts ANYTHING! With that in mind, I'll answer those two questions first!

# my age is 66 years old, and I have hunted all my life, being born in a family of a long line of hunters, on both sides!

# I hunt for the same reason all "True" hunters hunt! Man is, by nature, a hunter, and has been from the beginning of time. Even those who don't know they are hunters, are, never the less. It is what man is! It is just that society has found it easier to raise the meat in farms, and make it available to those who can't, or won't hunt it for themselves. The person who wears leather, or eats meat, and doesn't hunt, is only asking someone else to do it for them, by supplying it to the garment maker, or the food store!

#1 I hunt what ever is in season, but have preferences, and that is My thing is hunting Dangerous game. My all time favorite is Cape Buffalo. I think this answers both #1, and #2

#3 I have hunted with almost everything that can be used for hunting, at one time or other, but my favorite is a rifle, and spicifically a double rifle.

#4 I hunted for some time with a bow, and the reason is because of the challenge of haveing to get very close before shooting, adding to the thrill of the hunt, and haveing developed the skill to get that close to the target, without spooking him!

#5? you asked in a later post, about which endangered animal I would hunt if I could. My answer to that is I don't want to hunt anything that is truley endangered, and some that are listed that way are not in the least endangered. My pick would be, if there were pleanty to justify hunting, would be the Bengal Tiger. This animal is endangered for a real reason. Though they're very endangered, in their home range they still kill over 300 people each year. SO, it is easy to see why the native who has lost some of their kids to these cats, find it strange that it is illegal to kill them. They will never have enough numbers to alow legal hunting, simply because they eat people, and the natives keep them down to protect their families! Understandable though it is, I wish it were not so!

I have no Idea who you were refereing to that gave you grief here, but I must say, to an old hand at hunting, and haveing been on the radar screen of misguided animal rights groups, it isn't any wonder some here might eye your questions with caution. I must admit that thought also crossed my mind. What I'm saying here is, if you are for real you can't get better information than you'll get here, but you have to understand, that we have been the target of a lot of misguided folks who actually believe they are helping animals, by targeting hunting. That fact is unfortunate, because the hunter is the salvation of ALL wildlife, not just game! Those who truley want to help wildlife should join the hunter, for he is the glue that keeps the habatat available for all wildlife. [Cool]

My opinion of your motives, will be issued once you show who you are, one way or the other, and nobody can play the sneak game for long, before they trip over their own tongue! I have raised 4 kids, and they are raising 12 grandkids, and two great grandkids, and all save one, are hunters, or support hunting as a viable way of guarinteeing the continued existance of all wildlife! [Cool]

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
PS:

I've looked at all your posts I can find Lynn D, and I can't find where anyone jumped on you! Maybe I'm just missing it, where is the post you took exception to? [Confused] [Confused] [Confused]

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikey B:
... people like Dan Belisle, Ray Atkinson, Pecos45, Russell E. Taylor, and Ann from Aspen Hill are some of the best minds I've ever seen on the subject of hunting.... These are good people and won't lead you wrong.

Damn. Moved me enough to take the 12-gauge out of my mouth.

Thanks for the kind words and the company with which you placed me.

Russ

one of us
Picture of Lynn D
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
PS:

I've looked at all your posts I can find Lynn D, and I can't find where anyone jumped on you! Maybe I'm just missing it, where is the post you took exception to? [Confused] [Confused] [Confused]

It was an email sent to me by a member of this forum, who has signed in with several names, he is currently being quiet which is not normal for him, he is quite active usually in the Politics Board, you may remember him as 10point.

Lynn D

one of us
posted Hide Post
LynnD,have followed your thread for awhile and will give you a couple of answers
Specific type,mostly here in the south its been deer,but do go for boar when I can and have gone on a couple of black bear hunts.Am dreaming of Africa,hopefully in 05'.
Type of equipment, rifle/shotgun/pistol/black powder.gave up on bow due to an injury,but have been looking at crossbow.
Bow hunting for me was more of a challange,and I used a Black Widow recure that was max 55lbs at 30" draw,I don't like the compounds and never used them
My father and his best friend got me in to hunting in Kansas back in the early 60's,as a millitary brat have hunted just about any ware the old man was,never any big game though.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote