New
Find
Notify
Tools

.300 Savage 130 grain TSX or TTSX?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone tried either of these bullets on elk in this cartridge or a .308 win? My 12 year old daughter wants to hunt elk and is a little recoil sensitive. She usually shoots a 125 grain NBT in her .300 Savage for deer and tolerates it pretty well, thinking the 130 grain won't be much of a step up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Killed a PILE of elk with 130's out of a 270.
It will work just fine within reasonable distances.
AND you HAVE to post a pic.

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As soon as the leftover list comes out I'll be looking for this year. She didn't draw a cow tag in the area I wanted for her. I was hoping she'd have the Snellstrom boys, Graybird, and Ted spotting elk for her.

First elk she puts down the pictures will be up ASAP.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would think either would work great as long as they are put in the right place.OB

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OLBIKER:
I would think either would work great as long as they are put in the right place.OB

+1

Posts: 19616 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Hey Chad
Either one will probably work great I would lean towards the TTSX to help insure it will open up but that's just me. Either one is going to give you a big pile of meat on the ground.
She is a great shot so putting it in the right place isn't an issue.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Ted spotting elk for her......

Now that's funny stuff

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ted
Elk are easy to spot...
Just look for the tallest, Chitty-est, rim rocked, down timber infested peak and....
There they are!

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
That's a true statement!

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
True story.....this is how it went down

November 2011

Rick is looking way way up a big rock ridge with his binoculars

Ted.....what do you see up there?

Rick....you see that great big boulder close to the top?

Ted.....yeah

Rick.....there is a broken snag about 25 yards over to the right

Ted.....yeah

Rick.....you see the little patch of pines behind that

Ted.....yeah!!

Rick.....there aint no elk up there

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by taylorce1:
She usually shoots a 125 grain NBT in her .300 Savage for deer and tolerates it pretty well, thinking the 130 grain won't be much of a step up.

She won't be able to tell the difference between the 125gr and 130gr bullets.

From my own experiences I feel that the monometal bullets reduce the need for "heavy for caliber" bullets(when compared to standard cup-and-core bullets).

While 130gr sounds light for a .30cal elk bullet, being that it is a monometal, I would be willing to bet it will out penetrate a 150gr cup and core by a wide margin.

As Joe said: you have to post a pic.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
From my own experiences I feel that the monometal bullets reduce the need for "heavy for caliber" bullets(when compared to standard cup-and-core bullets).

I completely agree. I think monometal bullets really shine when you drop down a couple weights and up the velocity.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
quote:

I completely agree. I think monometal bullets really shine when you drop down a couple weights and up the velocity.

I agree with that that's why I want to keep the velocity up as high as possible as long as possible. Hannah's capable of shooting to at least 300 yards so I'd like to stay above 2000 fps if I use a mono bullets. That leaves me the 130 grain as I don't think from the data I've found I can use a heavier bullet and stay above 2000 fps at 300 yards.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:

Now that's funny stuff

I know if you didn't help find one for her, you'd at least help pack one out for her and her fat old man! I seem to remember you tackling a little hill with an elk quarter on your back, wasn't sure you were going to come back again after that day. Wink

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
CEB makes a 100 grain ESP Raptor, too.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by taylorce1:
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:

Now that's funny stuff

I know if you didn't help find one for her, you'd at least help pack one out for her and her fat old man! I seem to remember you tackling a little hill with an elk quarter on your back, wasn't sure you were going to come back again after that day. Wink

I loved every minute of it!!

I'd pack elk out for our camp every day of a 9 day season as long as there are no more than 9 hunters in camp Wink