I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Saw that last night. Catch and release, eh? For a guy who was just rescued from the jaws of death, he doesn't look so happy. Probably he's thinking that he's never, ever going to be able to face his poker buddies again...Wink

More seriously, good on the wife for saving her hubby.

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They wouldn't permit any other weapon in Kalifornia.Should have worn a football helmet and neck brace !

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Not true, but even a 6" screwdriver makes a nifty poking implement...

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
No hunting or harrasment allowed on mountain Lions in California since 1990. There have been more documented people deaths by mountain lions since then than in the previous 100 years.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12554 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
quote:
No hunting or harrasment allowed on mountain Lions in California since 1990.

Actually there's been no hunting since 1972, when the legislature put a moratorium on lion hunting.

The legislature removed the moratorium in 1986 and a management plan including limited hunting was proposed that was challenged by the antis. It ended up as a ballot proposition in 1990, Prop. 117, which passed by about 2 %.

We got the issue back on the ballot in 1996 and the voters rejected management again.

So if someone gets mauled or killed then so be it.

Reality is that just allowing a recreational take of lions probably won't prevent incidents like this.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
IMHO the recreational take would free up some areas of home range such that it would reduce the population of lions on the fringe suburban areas and populated parks. The other thing that it would do is instill a fear of humans if they are pursued on a regular basis. Right now they are the apex predators and have no fear of humans.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12554 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
No hunting or harrasment allowed on mountain Lions in California since 1990.

I suppose then that the Mrs. in the story is facing some serious legal charges, as I'm pretty sure that flogging a lion in the noggin with a length of wood falls squarely in the 'harassment' category. Not to mention the pen... Roll Eyes

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
IMHO the recreational take would free up some areas of home range such that it would reduce the population of lions on the fringe suburban areas and populated parks. The other thing that it would do is instill a fear of humans if they are pursued on a regular basis. Right now they are the apex predators and have no fear of humans.

I think a large portion of the cats involved in this type of behavior are younger cats, that have had to utilize marginal habitat as their territory. Whether it be a lack of ample forage in these areas, close proximity to humans, or a lack of fear due to no negative interactions with humanas, hunting is the only logical conclusion in California at this point.

MG

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Kamo Gari, the section you are looking for is 597 of the California Penal Code - Cruelty to Animals. Wink

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought a good fixed blade knife or a good strong folder would have done the mt lion in.

I bowie style would have killed with less trouble then hitting with the logs.

It use to be that no one would think about running around the woods unarmed. But a lot of people have been so brain washed over the last 40 to 50 years. That they think it is almost a sin to go armed.

Even the husband didn't have a good knife kill the SOB with.

Sheep.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
They should present the medical bills to PETA, HSUS and the state legislature. After all, thanks to all the tree hugging liberals in that state, mountain lion populations have exploded and expanded into urban areas. More attacks are inevitable.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9343 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
Is the wife going to be brought up on some charge of animal cruelty for hitting the cat with the stick?

It is Califonia after all.

They will probably insist she should have called for help on her cell and waited for it to appear.

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
They should present the medical bills to PETA, HSUS and the state legislature. After all, thanks to all the tree hugging liberals in that state, mountain lion populations have exploded and expanded into urban areas. More attacks are inevitable.

Amen to that! If they were held finacially responsible for thier dumb ideas, maybe they wouldn't be so quick to start crap. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16817149/from/ET/

If you click on the link, you'll see where you can read and post comments about this story. Most support the MOUNTAIN LION. I had to sign up and put my two cents in. You guys should make your voice heard, too.

It's 52 pages long at this point, and some of the absurdities will make your blood boil.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9343 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wingnut
posted Hide Post
Too bad for the guy, but......

What kind of dork walks around, especially in the woods, without ANY tool usable for self defense, not even a pocketknife ?!?!?!?

I am never COMPLETELY unarmed, even on commercial flights and in federal courthouses (where my job often takes me). But the defensive tools available are not always recognized as such, valuable in these and other places (such as parks run by tree-huggers) where political correctness has run amok and firearms and knives are unconstitutionally disallowed and cannot be conveniently and consistently camouflaged.

My own twist on Jeff Cooper's levels of preparedness --

Condition white - unsuspecting/unprepared - if attacked, YOU WILL LOSE !!!!

Condition yellow - aware of surroundings, prepared for defense, no threat detected, but vigilant.

Condition orange - Prepared for defense, particular threat has been identified, some action must be taken (fight or flight)

Condition red - attack has occurred or is immenent. YOU MUST FIGHT !!

Condition black - Attack has occurred or is in process, yourself or others are in danger of death or grave bodily injury, deadly force is justified.

Always, always, ALWAYS , be ready!!!! I may need your help!!!!

I will be ready if you need mine !!!

NO COMPROMISE !!!

"YOU MUST NEVER BE AFRAID TO DO WHAT IS RIGHT! EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO DO IT ALONE!"

Posts: 683 | Location: L A | Registered: 23 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just read he has taken a turn for the worst and has been moved to another hospital.The doctors are concerned about bacterial infection,the female lion bit him several times in the face and mouth.
I never go anywhere with out a pocket knife and usually a belt knife.w/regards

Posts: 610 | Location: MT | Registered: 01 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
In was just stir and having some grins on their comment page. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote