THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Mexican Mulies - Hermosillo or Sonora?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mexican Mulies - Hermosillo or Sonora?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Which area of Mexico would you go for a giant mule deer?

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Check with Drummond Lindsay who posts on here under that name I believe. He has a lot of Mexican Mule deer experience and could shed some light on the topic. It is my understanding that they are thinning out a lot of the big ones down there since it has become popular but still an awesome opportunity at getting a big one.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AZ Pete
posted Hide Post
Hermosillo is the capitol city of the state of Sonora.......Don't think you will find a big buck downtown Confused

NRA Patron Life Member

Posts: 310 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Be very careful who you book with, No matter what pictures they advertise ( I learned the hard way) Its' not uncommon for Mexican outfitters to book 20-50 hunters and only kill 3-6 good ( good as 26"-32" ) deer a year. At the very best I think you can expect 20-30% success. Get it in writing your guide will speak English. There are some nice deer in Mexico. For the money a guided hunt in the west (Wyoming, Montana,Colorado) is a way better deal!

Robert Johnson

Posts: 599 | Location: Soldotna Alaska | Registered: 05 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
A close friend of mine hunts in Sonora every year with this outfit:
www.sierragrandeoutfitters.com
They are nearly 100% each season and they do kill some BIG deer every year.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John S:
A close friend of mine hunts in Sonora every year with this outfit:
www.sierragrandeoutfitters.com
They are nearly 100% each season and they do kill some BIG deer every year.

Les has some great ranches down there. He and I leased a bunch of them together about 10 yrs ago and he is still hunting a lot of them. Give him a call.

I know we talked right before I went down this past season, sorry we couldnt get anything done, it was just so late in the year.

As for your original question, there are big deer all over the state of Sonora, some areas have more deer than others and some areas have better genetics than others but the chance of killing a giant exists just about anywhere.

When you get your choices narrowed down give me a call if you like

Drummond

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Look for Campillo Brothers out of Hermosillo. thumbThey hunt some of the best areas in Sonora for mule deer.

But expect no miracles no matter who you hunt with. Sure there are a few truly magnificent mulies in Sonora, but they are not waiting behind every bush. What you want is an outfitter with good experience who will provide you with a good opportunity, good guides, a good camp, and good food.

I have hunted mule deer in Sonora at least 5 to 6 times. Killed twice; my biggest 197 SCI. Was I pleased? You bet.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote