New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting daypack
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Since there's not really a gear section to post this in, this will find itself here.

I'm looking to upgrade my daypack. I've been using a simple cabelas bag with little (read: no) frame support and very limited capacity. I'm looking for something in the 2200ci (36ish L) range. All of my hunting to date has been dayhunts from a fixed camp, and involves no long-range hiking into camp. I'm basically looking for something to hold a first aid kit, field dressing materials, insulating layer, rain layer, and lunch. I don't really do DIY other than whitetail on farms with access trails, so hauling meat has not been an issue to date. My guides in NF this fall have pack frames for hauling out (hopefully) moose back to the boat.

I'm looking hard at the Eberlestock Kite and the Mystery Ranch Pop-Up 28. The MR pack does have the ability to be a meat hauler if needed. They're both similarly priced, the MR is a touch smaller than I'd really like to go, but I'm interested in the meat hauling capabilities while still maintaining a profile that seems amenable to being a carryon for air-travel.

Thoughts? Experiences? Suggestions?

Posts: 1449 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
M R make a very good pack.

I have one of their full size packs.

Posts: 19616 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Everyones uses and specific needs for packs vary greatly as well as opinions. Any advise must be weighed heavily against your own expected uses.
That said I'm using an Eberlestock X2 and I'm extremely happy with it.
It has a moderate frame that gives excellent support even when you put some weight on it, yet small enough for long day use.
I use my pack to carry all my day gear and when game is down at least a first trip of meat can be carried out comfortably.
The way I hunt with family and friends even if you have dedicated packers with pack frames the other guy carries excess gear that the packers can't carry once the meat is strapped on.
My pack works well for this.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Having a stout-er frame on a day pack, IMHO, is a good thing. Having the weight squarely on your waist vs. shoulders makes a difference at the end of the day.

The MR Pop-Up's versatility and frame design are pretty awesome IMHO. If you need some more storage, a pouch or two, bag between the frame and pack, or the stuff it panel will make a big difference.

Don't think you can go wrong with it.

Posts: 1073 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
I picked up an e'stock X2 last year and am fairly happy with it. i do wish the shoulder strap height was adjustable. at 6'2" i'm a tiny bit tall for it but it is still comfy for normal day pack loads. My dad is 5'11 and the pack fits him very well.

I carried the X2 as a carry-on on a turkey hunt last week. it fit in the overhead compartment on the southwest flight just fine.

I also use my 7k cu-in kifaru as a daypack since i can cinch down the bag to a narrow day pack size. then if i need to haul meat, i can open the bag and carry an elk quarter no problem.

Posts: 784 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
For the use you describe, either of those packs should work well enough. Don't overlook the Badlands 2200. I used a previous version and it was a great day pack. Less great for packing meat, but serviceable if you didn't have far to go. After that pack I got an Eberlestock X1A1. It had a few more features, like the scabbard that I quite liked, but it just didn't fit me quite right, and like the Badlands was sub-par for hauling much weight (like parts of a dead critter). Again though, for the use you describe, any of these semi-framed designs will work very well. Just get what's most comfortable.

But if you want to step up to a more rigid, but still very comfortable pack, have a look at Exo Mountain Gear. I first got a K2 frame with the 2000 ci bag. I really, really like this pack. So much so that I recently added a 3500 ci bag for longer hunts and backpacking trips with Boy Scouts. This thing is solid, even when loaded with more meat than I can reasonably carry.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I get laughed at all the time for going back to my ALICE pack, but it is very hard to beat. About $30 with frame. Off the frame it is a great day pack with great compressability, which is to say, it will shrink down nicely with it's own straps and construction. It has the capacity to haul all you can carry with or without the frame and enough outbound pockets to allow quick access to items you might want quickly. It isn't super light, but it's not super heavy either. You can effectively strap tents, sleeping bags, rifles, hind quarters or whatever to it again with it's own straps. Also very durable. As one of Uncle Sams Misguided Children I took my pack and assorted field gear home as part of my separation package and am still using it. I got out in 1994.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Fit Fit Fit

This is paramount

Be sure.....no matter what brand you buy be sure that it fits you and you understand how to adjust it correctly

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fit Fit Fit

I spent several hours trying on packs and fitting the one I brought at the MR factory store in Boseman MT.

Asked about a factory 2nd saved a couple of hundred can't find anything wrong with the pack I brought.

Posts: 19616 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an EXO with the 2200 bag on it. Excellent also, maybe a little speedy but great pack.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1183 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote