Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

good mountain lion hunt
 Login/Join

posted
Hi, I'm new here, but I am looking at wanting to go on a mountain lion hunt sometime in the next year or so. Anyone have any thoughts as to who is a good outfitter for that hunt, and where in the west has the best opportunity? Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wade Lemon, Utah! The best!

Mustang Outfitters, Nevada, Second choice.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i understand there are two basic types of mountain lion hunts. dry ground where you ride mules to follow the dog pack. and snowmobile hunts where you ride after them.

check out the safari club magazine i've seen ads there but never really had much interest as i was concentrating on africa. good luck ! Cool

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
one thing to consider is the cat itself. the further north you go, usually the larger and better furred the cat. a winter hunt in canada usually yields really nice cougar, but its physically a lot of work. if that interests you I'd call brent sinclair

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Run VERY far from Wade Lemon. His (or his guides') interpretation of Utah's laws dealing with Mountaion Lion hunting is just a bit too flexible for me. Example, "Oh, we're not hunting before legal hours, the two dogs just accidentally 'escaped'"! More than a few hunters have also been awakened in their hotels to discover that the cat is already treed. This is of course, also illegal (though it makes for an easy "hunt"). He is also NOT a very popular person with the Southeast regional office of Utah's Division of Wildlife from what I understand.

I'm sorry to be controversial with my first post here but, having lurked here for a while, I thought maybe this was a good time to start posting. Hopefully, I saved someone a bit of legal trouble. Honestly, there are lot's of guys who run cats in the west. One should always check references and one could even call the local wildlife departments and check on whether or not the guy you're interested in booking with has either a bad reputation or citations for wildlife violations. As this is a matter of public record, I don't think you'd have a hard time getting people to talk to you.

Posts: 13 | Location: N. of 60. | Registered: 27 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
Johnnie Hamilton, 1-719-846-3559

He is honest, will work his butt off to get you a cat, has great dogs and big cats in his area of Colorado. He learned to hunt them in the Big Bend region of Texas and it doesn't get much more difficult on dry ground than that.

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote