THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Best Production Big Game Rifle for Under 1K

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Production Big Game Rifle for Under 1K
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What would you all consider to be the best quality, most accurate, sturdy, factory big game (Dangerous Game) rifle for under $1,000. And where would the CZ 550 Safari Magnum fit under these. At $809 suggested retail in 373 H&H, 416 Rigby, or 458 Win Mag. Seems like a good value. No idea what their customer service is like.

Phil

[This message has been edited by Greyghost (edited 03-17-2002).]

Posts: 1468 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Either the CZ550 or M70 Magnum.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
CZ 550 Magnum,

Winchester pre 64 style M -70

Both of these guns need a little attention from a gunsmith the bedding on a CZ needs to be redone along with the recoil pad. The winchester's trigger needs some attention and new bedding

[This message has been edited by alekojjensen (edited 03-17-2002).]

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would prefer a used pre 64 Win. over any of todays guns in that price range.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

Quit it!!!

My Pre-64 collection is not yet complete and you keep trying to educate people about the Pre-64's.

I have just found a 99.9% Pre-64 .338 Win Mag that I will be adding to my collection shortly. That will be my sixth one.

So far, I have:

375H&H
300H&H
30-06
270 Win
308 Featherweight

As you can see, I still have quite a few gaps to fill, so let's not be talking up the Pre-64's for now.

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
<holdson4>
posted
cz has excellent customer service. i have owned several of thier pistols (saving for rifle). resonable response time and very helpful. mike, the czusa gunsmith , has personaly contacted me when i had some related questions submitted to c.service. A+ ,all around. agree on beding from everyone ive talked to. triggers are some of the best ive tried. fully adjustable/single set. also if purchasing one ask specifically if the distributor has one with the "tiger"-striped stock. this is a pattern that shows randomly in the turkish walnut cz uses and takes wood from blah to wow!

also a plus for the cz, they can be had heavily discounted .especially online purchases.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think Ruger gives the best value they are price low enough that you still can do some trigger stock work on them. Then have a very good rifle that is just plain tough. You Well be well under your set price. That you can then but a good scope on top.

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
It would be hard to find a good pre-64 Model 70 in .375 H&H or .338 Winchester for $1,000 or less, and almost impossible if you want one in .458 Winchester.

No matter - The smartest rifle money you'll ever spend on production rifles is to purchase pre-64 Model 70s or a Belgian-made Browning High-Powers (Safari Grade) in the calibers of your choice, take good care of them, and hunt with them for the rest of your career. These guns almost always shoot well, especially with today's ammunition, and the quality far exceeds that of anything current that's off the shelf. Besides that, these rifles are good investments, and you'll at least be able to get your money back if you someday decide to sell.

A set of pre-64 Model 70s in .300 H&H and .375 H&H would make a fantastic all-around battery, as would a set of Brownings in .300 Winchester & .458 Winchester. What the heck else would anyone need and still stay within a reasonable price range?

The day of the quality production rifle for $1,000 or less is closing fast........

AD

<Reloader66>
posted
Factory rifles in those heavy recoil rifles need some work to prevent stock damage when purchsed in the big magnum cartridges. You can still find a good shooting heavy recoil rifle for under 1000 bucks, but those days will soon fade away.
I am no fan of Ruger rifles for several reasons, and would not own one. Winchester, Savage, Remington, Weatehrby Vanguard actions are better suited for easy scope mounting and easier to rework the actions and trigger. The Weatherby Vanguard is fine well made rifle, but may not come in the heavy cartridges like the 375 magnum.
The CZ rifle has a strong action that is a copy of the Winchester action and a great factory trigger fully adjustable. I own three CZ rifles and all three shoot very well. I also own the Weatherby Vanguard, Savage, Winchester, Remington bolt action rifles. It is one lucky shooter that can own a factory rifle that will shoot tight groups with no work needing to be done to that particular rifle.
If you have the means to do so, buy the custom made magnum rifle. The work needed to make most factory rifles fine shooting rifles will add many dollars to that rifles cost. Strange as it may seem, no matter how well your Savage rifle will group, it is still considered a cheap rifle with poor resale value.

<hunting1>
posted
Just my opinion, but I would get a Savage safari grade with the laminate and the on/off muzzle brake. If you never handled one you should. Good shooting!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it is just a deer rifle I might go with a Sako.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote