New
Find
Notify
Tools

Photo's of the 'small one'
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well, I got my 'european' mount of 'the small one' I shot earlier this year. I've tried to edit my previous post to include the photo's, but am still kind of photo posting ignorant! I'll keep trying.

He ended up @ 119 3/8 P&Y final score.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Fish30114

Right, your kidding about the "small one"

That's a real nice buck! thumb Congrats on it and the nice euro mount!!! beer

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes indeed, congratulations on a fine Deer. That sure made a nice looking mount that way.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks Great. If you don't mind me asking, what did the English Mount run? I am thinking about that route on my next one.

Posts: 153 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I did the mount myself. I get as much of the stuff off as possible and then suspend the skull/antlers with some coat hanger wire, and boil off all the tissue in water with about a box and a half of salt. After I soak in some bleach for a while. I also think the flash helped a lot, I know my shirt isn't that white.

FWIW my local taxidermest charges $100 for a european mount if you just bring him the whole deer (or the head I guess) no plaque for the hundred.

This deer was with a bigger one, I thought he was the bigger one as they changed places coming out from behind some trees, thus the 'small one' comment.

Thanks again--Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice buck,and the mount looks good too.
I've done a lot of them that way.Usually cut/route a nice board to mount it on,but saw one on a small pedastal and will try that soon.
If you have more than 1 or 2 to do,Here's a tip I picked up from Herne off another site:
He does the soap simmering thing (outside,if anyone has to ask),then hits them with a power washer.
WARNING: 1)secure the rack skull,or they'll blow across the ground.
2)Don't do it by the house.
3) Keep your mouth SHUT! Don't ask me how I know.Doesn't taste like chicken,that's for sure.

I used to use 30 vol peroxide (from women's hair place),but the cheap stuff from Walmart works as well,just takes a little longer. Keep the pedicels up out of the solution.Bleach works well,but may weaken the bone if left too long.Didn't mean to hijack your thread.Just trying to pass on a few pointers.Looks like your's came out great,and again,congrats on a nice buck! Dave

Posts: 156 | Location: Southern MD | Registered: 29 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DaveP, good tips, and no hijacking considered, that's one of the things I love about AR--lot's of good info on a variety of topics.

You are right about being sure to keep the pedicals out of the 'sauce', if you look close you can see where I got a tiny bit of bleaching on the bases--which I didn't want, but I also don't like the brown ring if you don't get them into the water enough. I've done a few others, and think they fit in well with some of the traditional mounts.

Take care--Don