THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Third time is a charm - my first Rocky Mountain Elk

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Third time is a charm - my first Rocky Mountain Elk
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
I just got back from a wonderful hunt with Muddy Draw Outdoors on the Bell Otte Ranch in Wyoming. I selected them through Cabela's WTA after many years of preference points. The hunt was October 16th-20th. I took my elk on the 18th after glassing and chasing many, many elk. We had a great stalk the first night on a herd on the side of a rocky knob (I think the elk in this area are part goat - they like the granite rocks and slabs), but decided to pass. By Tuesday we were seeing 200-500 elk a day. They were starting to herd up post rut and were coming on the property to escape public hunting pressure.

We found two big herds Wednesday morning in the valley meadows and let them go up into the mountain ridges undisturbed. My guide and his assistant found them midday and we set-up on them at about 350 yards. They were on the dark side of a draw bedded in the snow and shade. They were about 100 yards below a ridge line. The draw led down into the valley. We located 5 bulls through the trees and watched 3 of them for 2.5 hours until they decided to get up. The first picture below is our view to the bedding area. We estimated 80-100 elk. The bull I shot is circled in yellow and was the last elk to stand up. He was a 373 yards when I shot him with my Mauser M03 300 WBY with 180 gr TTSX. The second photo is on top of the ridge above the elk post-hunt looking back to our shooting position. We were under a large pine tree with a large granite outcropping to our backs. The next two pics are of the elk. He had a very large body! We quartered and bagged him there and were able to drive the Canam to with 10 feet of him! It was a hard pack out Smiler The only regret I have is not hunting archery in September (in WY you get drawn and then pick weapon and date). They took a 360" bull during archery with many larger ones seen. Time to start building points again!

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Awesome elk! Congratulations!

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your first elk. Nice bull! I'm just finishing up processing the last quarter of my first Idaho cow today. Been in a cooler for 9 days, aging. Had some for lunch yesterday. Great!

Posts: 432 | Location: Wyoming/ Idaho, St Joe river | Registered: 17 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Congratulations - nice bull.
It was my fourth hunt before I took a shot at an elk, but it paid off with a nice 6x6.
Enjoy the great meat!

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, good looking bull.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice bull! Hope it tastes as good as it looks.

Posts: 664 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on connecting.
Nice bull. Big bodied suckers for sure.
You never know how big til you get one down.
Then the work starts.
Only once out of over a hundred I've been involved with was easy getting out. Rolled that one down the mtn and it hit the truck! Six guys there to help load it whole.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your first elk! Nice bull too. Elk, especially in September and first part of October when they're rutting, are a special animal to hunt.

Geoergeld, you need to find easier places to elk hunt. Our last two, we drove the truck up to one and loaded him and drove to within 500 yards of the other, which I could easily have driven to if I wanted to bust through sagebrush. Good thing too, because they were both big heavy bulls.

Posts: 3916 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RAR60
posted Hide Post
Good Hunt!
I hunted Utah and got a very nice bull. It took from 6:30pm till before 1:00 AM to get back to camp with horns,cape and meat 3 of us. New Mexico DIY, a friend and I both killed bulls and packed out on frames quartered one and boned out the other
and made 7 trips at a little over a mile each not counting trips out to get the frames. I like to hear about these easy retrievals. As an aside, my friend is 56 and I'm 65.
I have a love/hate relationship with Elk!

Zim 2006
Zim 2007
Namibia 2013
Brown Bear Togiak Nat'l Refuge Sep 2010
Argentina 2019
RSA 2023
Tanzania 2024
SCI Life Member
USMC

One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Nice bull!
You might need to go help someone pack out to keep karma on your side.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1220 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TREE 'EM:
Nice bull!
You might need to go help someone pack out to keep karma on your side.

Longest pack-out has been 2+ miles on a Kodiak bear, but the guide and packer had the load. And it was downhill.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Great first elk!

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4781 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great job!

I have max points for deer and elk. I need to start applying.

Big Congrat's!

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a fine bull.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice bull. Congratulations!

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1119 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats, that surenuff a pretty good start.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote