Find
Notify
Tools

Tennessee Opening Day Turkey
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ghostbird
posted
Tennessee spring turkey season opened today... killed this one at 6:30 and was the second hunter to check a bird at the country store checking station.

Some soft tree talk from a cane yelper brought three hens and this gobbler from the roost into my lap. The hens pitched down first and sailed across a gully with one landing about 8 yards from me. The gobbler followed and landed out at about 40 yards.

I had to let the hens move on by to keep from getting busted. When the gobbler turned his back in full strut at 15 yards I adjusted my gun barrel and brought his head up with a one of Steve Kinder's XT mouth calls. Game over for another two year old !

Stats: 21 lbs, 9 3/4 & 6 inch double beards, 7/8 inch spurs
Andy

--------------------------------------------
National Rifle Association - Life Member
National Wild Turkey Federation - Diamond Life Sponsor
Pope & Young Club - Associate Member

Posts: 561 | Location: North Alabama, USA | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a nice bird. I on the other hand, did not have a very successful morning. I roosted some birds last night and was waiting for them to wake up this morning.

When they sounded off, it turned out that there was probably four or five birds in the trees.

I cautiously called to them, and each time I'd do that, they'd thunder back in response. Then I'd let them do that three or four times before I'd call again.

Finally, I heard them fly down, only to never see them again. I think they just walked right off the property....

I'm beginning to think that I either don't know a darned thing about turkey hunting, or I really suck at calling! bewildered

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
Nice Turkey, Shof I too tend to have the same problem, get them to come close but not close enough.

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
www.blueskieshunting.com
Email at: info@blueskieshunting.com

African Cape Trophy Safaris
www.africancapesafaris.com
Email at: brian@africancapesafaris.com

1-402-689-2024

Posts: 1013 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
smokin bird! congrats

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
You guys start early!!!! My Missouri season doesn't start until the end of April.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beauty man! MA starts 4/25 and NH 5/3.....to say I can't wait would be the understatement of 2011 thus far!

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
congrats, nice bird. Our Mo. opener is the 18th. The Hoyt AM is ready to go.

Posts: 20 | Location: central Mo. | Registered: 14 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Andy, you are a machine. Nicely done.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a fine bird. I was/am sick and missed it.

Two toms strutting for "their" hens in the driveway this afternoon.

I love watching them herein the yard . . .

Their Carrying-Ons is not unlike watching the gold chained stud puppy in a local pick-up bar.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Our season here opens on Wednesday (actually, that's the first of six consecutive five-day seasons.) I'm a little nervous: we've had a very cool spring and the birds still seem to be in big flocks. I will be very anxious to see just how responsive the toms are to calling right now.

Posts: 571 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As soon as I read "first of six consecutive five-day seasons" I knew you were from Wisconsin. I used to deal with drawing a turkey tag from Wisconsin all the time. I got so frustrated because I'd apply for the same two zones, for same seasons year after year.

I'd get drawn every other year, even though other guys would draw two tags!

I'm so much happier now that I live in Tennessee and have over the counter tags, and a longer season.

Of course I don't have to worry about patterning some birds only to have 8 inches of snow dumped on me either! dancing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shof,

You might want to give it a try again. They consolidated the zones so that there are now only six or seven statewide for the spring. In the southern half of the state where I live you're almost guaranteed a tag, though as an out-of-state applicant you might get one of the later seasons in May. Actually, I like hunting in May because the toms are just desparate to get laid. Visibility in the woods (and the mosquitoes!) can be a little problematic, however. I actually was able to buy a leftover tag for the last season, in addition to the one I was using this morning.
This morning I had two very close calls, but just couldn't seem to pull them in that last ten yards. I'll try again tomorrow.

Posts: 571 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I might one of these years, but living in Tennessee, I really enjoy hunting down here and I don't have to pay for non-resident tags...

Plus, the only people I know that live in the southern part of the state live in Milwaukee. And there's not too many big city birds....