Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for American Bison hunt
 Login/Join

posted
Gentlemen:
Does anyone know of a good reputable outfitter that does meat and trophy bison
hunts for a reasonable price? I prefer a horseback hunt with a rifle.
I would like a trophy bull and a buddy wants a meat bull.

Thank you, Trent

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I might be able to help you out in Northwest South Dakota. Give me a shout and we can talk further.

Posts: 520 | Location: North West South Dakota | Registered: 26 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I have never hunted with Randy, but I believe he will have the best option based on the OP's description.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
Hello Randy, I've sent you a PM about possible bison hunts as well.

Posts: 973 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This year or next?
Free range or ranch?

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
If Randy doesn't work out for what you're seeking, you might want to check out Arnaud Outfitting. Rob Arnaud handles all the guiding on Ted Turner's ranches. Nobody has more bison. Prices are reasonable. I've got a trophy bull that was 12 or 13 years old from the Flying D, and also shot a yearling bull for the freezer. They are excellent eating!

Posts: 3916 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:
If Randy doesn't work out for what you're seeking, you might want to check out Arnaud Outfitting. Rob Arnaud handles all the guiding on Ted Turner's ranches. Nobody has more bison. Prices are reasonable. I've got a trophy bull that was 12 or 13 years old from the Flying D, and also shot a yearling bull for the freezer. They are excellent eating!

Did the same a LONG time ago, but a younger bull. Ours was definitely a shoot vs. a hunt but we knew that going in, they needed three cranky bulls culled quickly and our group lives a 30 minute drive away. However, they'll set up a horseback hunt, pretty much anything you want. The meat was awesome!! So good that some of my family were purloining packages of buffalo out of my freezer.

Posts: 1073 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all of you for your input. I appreciate it.
I am looking for a free range (or a ranch big enough to effectively be free range) hunt this fall or winter.
Randy, I will give you a call and we can talk
about options and see what we can come up with.

Thanks again, Trent

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Below is a cow and a trophy bull that we just took a couple weeks ago. This is a 30,000 acre low fence ranch and the hunt is spot and stalk. We just don't drive-up and shoot them out of the pickup window.

Posts: 520 | Location: North West South Dakota | Registered: 26 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Just looking around at prices, a meat bison has gotten awfully spendy over the dozen or so years since I first looked into it.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Just looking around at prices, a meat bison has gotten awfully spendy over the dozen or so years since I first looked into it.

I first took a Bison in 2004 (12 years ago plus change).. prices have changed a little although I suppose you might have found a bull for maybe $3,500 vs say $5,000 and Meat Bulls and Cows were always much cheaper....
I guess you could argue that an increase of $1,000-$1,500 (Max on a trophy Bull) in value is a decent percentage but it seems to me pricing has been relatively flat over the last 10-15 years on Bison to me.
Meat Bulls and cows have gone up what? $500-$1,000 maybe????

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Poyntman, I probably didn't look hard enough for meat hunts. Seemed to me there were quite a few for $1,500 - $2,000 back then, but I might not be remembering correctly. I never paid a lot of attention to the trophy bull hunts as I wanted best-quality meat and the experience more than big horns.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks again for the additional info., and the photos. Randy, I did call last Mon. and got some more specifics, and then I talked to my buddy and we have been working on some logistics on our end.
Also, I have been working some OT this week, so haven't got back to you yet, but will.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It was about 3 or 4 years ago I was selling meat hunts for $1200 and trophy bulls for $2500, but they started going up each year to what they are today...

There is an outfit that just about borders that big Indian reservation that's known for monster mule deer around Dulce and/or cuba. they have bison and yak horse back hunts and its as real as a bison hunt can get...Sorry I can't recall the name of it..Let me check around and see if I can find out.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
It all depends on what you want. The prices are going up, and the definition of a "Hunt" varies as much as the prices.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I heard they have lottery bison draws in wysconsin

Posts: 521 | Registered: 30 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about a good old fashioned horse back hunt, like the old days?

Take Trophies - Leave Brass

Posts: 758 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 22 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
We have a hunt set up in Dec. '17 with
Ryan and Randy Routier in South Dakota.
Thanks to all for your input.

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
We are looking for one too. Primarily a meat hunt... as any bison is a trophy.

Looking for places that do it all... we don't want to have to coordinate with some 3rd party for meat processing

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1980 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pa.Frank:
We are looking for one too. Primarily a meat hunt... as any bison is a trophy.

Looking for places that do it all... we don't want to have to coordinate with some 3rd party for meat processing

I would be happy to talk to you to see if what we offer is what you are looking for. If we can't provide it I well simply say so and we can both move on.