Find
Notify
Tools

Monte Vista, Colorado... how is it?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
Trying to get promoted, found out the Rio Grande County in Colorado might be a possibility.

Anyone know about that area?

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The San Luis Valley is flat as it can be. One of the coldest places in the country. Not too much snow there, but, I've seen 12 feet on Wolf Creek Pass about 50 mi west. Fishing is good near by too. By Alamosa there's a nice big shooting range, I don't know the details of it's operations. Whole valley is surrounded by mountains. Monte is a nice small town. 150miles from the East Slope and even further to Grand Jct. Bet you wouldn't be disappointed in living there as it's quite peaceful most of the time.

Mostly the mountains are nearby, LOTS of HEAVY snow up high and Colder than H in winters, summers are real pleasant most of the time. A bit wetter than some other areas of the state. Small towns all over the place full of friendly folks. Lot's of wide open public hunting lands and lots of ranch lands too once you gain permission. IF you haven't, check the post about the elk herd, vid is in this section, check it out as it's not too far from there. Re: "elk: thousands"

Some of the best mule deer, bear and elk hunting in the world right out your door.
IF you want PM me and maybe I can provide some contacts and better info.

Assume you're a hunter by being on here so you'll be in the gravy with such a move.
Bring your guns n ammo, hunting boots and cold weather clothing in your 4x4, don't forget the chains either you'll need 'em all at times. If you have a boat, take it along too as there's lots of lakes around.

Good luck, I'd bet you'll enjoy life over there.

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks George,

I had hoped it was just like that.

We'll see if they call me.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't wait, call them!

The valley is around a hundred miles across, Alamosa county takes in most of it, Rio Grande I think starts near South Fork and goes west to at least Bayfield, and south to NM. Get a map and take a look, or even better get on G Earth and take a tour. Contact the CofC in Alamosa or Monte and ask for info. Nice college in Alamosa. It's mostly farming country, potato's is major, grains and some other stuff. The rest is sage brush: for miles!

East end are the Sand Dunes, La Veta pass and Ft. Garland, 169 goes south there, that's where those elk crossed the road. Might be 60 mi E of Monte. Wolf Creek boxes in the West side. Quite a few local 2 lane highways go south into NM. Only two go N from Monte and Alamosa to Center and Saguache (saw, suh or si watch, NOT suh guchie, say it that way and they'll laugh at you til your pants fall off then roll you in the snow!!

There's fairly warm artesian wells around too. Jone's family had a swimming pool that was real nice. Alligator farm around there in the warm water too.

Better love camping as there's a million great places to go just by driving there and setting up, no charge either.

Did I say: "you will like it there?"
That's the area I go elk hunting when I go. Lot's of folks agree with that, way too many!

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I already applied. We'll see how it goes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've worked in the area multiple times in the few decades. Its really a beautiful place.

Friends live near the Sand Dunes National Park. The live up in the trees along the edge of the valley and tell me its usually a lot warmer than on the valley floor during the winter because the cold air flows down and sits in the valley.

Alamosa, just up the road, is often the coldest place in Colorado during the winter, sharing the honors with Gunnison and used to be Fraser before they moved the weather station at Fraser.

I think you'll like it.

Chuck

Posts: 359 | Location: NW Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to drive OTR, many a trip across 160 and the big hill to CA and back. Sometimes 8 passes in a month. One winter it was -36 with a heavy mist falling. Oil pressure kept dropping to 0. Took a few times stopping to see where the problem was. Oil cooler was ahead of the radiator and freezing up! I just spread a bath towel over it and it was still there in LA drawing funny looks of course.

Only other place I've been that was colder was I-80 across Whyhoming, spent a day laying under the tractor melting ice with a propane torch I rented at Little America. Had come in from the west in 40-50mph wind and 43 below blowing snow. Asked the pump jockey why were all the trucks lining the shoulders for miles. "Fuel jelled". "bullshit". No, come here and then come back in half hour. He filled a qt oil can half full with #2. When I checked it, couldn't pour it out, it would just shake n quiver like jello. He said the cure is run diesel #1, so I topped the tanks off and didn't shut it down all night. My truck had been rigged to run AK so it had a heater you could almost bake a cake in the cab with. Wind chill figured around -110. That's cold!!

Other than parking warm tires on a big puddle of ice and melting down then refreezing so it wouldn't move the next day I had no troubles other than the oil cooler. Cure for parking in such an place in move a few feet in an hour after things cooled down yet haven't frozen you in place yet. I saw others that got part of the tires unstuck and rest still were, that had pulled the tread off a third of the way around. Sure glad I wasn't the poor bastard that had to break all those tires down in that weather. Bad enough to just have been in it.

Like I said: Take your warm socks and panties!!

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They gave the job to someone local. Saves the outfit money. There is always the next one.

Thanks again Gents for your help.

I have a couple other interviews next week. Another one near Seattle and a couple in the Mid-West.

I will be happy some day when promotions and family finances aren't a deciding factor in where we live.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe try a different trade. I did.
and it worked better several times.
Then I put my own deal together and did
even better.

Cheers, and good luck,
George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
You forgot some of the best duck hunting.

Posts: 601 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
And antelope, turkey and some of the best trout fishing in the Ark. River

Posts: 601 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am actually on my second career, but I got married and had kids late in life so my first career is more of a helper than the main event.

Retired from the military after 20, and trying to make enough of a dent that some of these hunts are more of a reality than fantasy.

Funny that I can't afford hunts as a married 40 year old I was doing regularly at 25.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do it now while you still can!
I never got to go on anything other than yearly deer, elk and antelope hunts. Now I'm closing in on 72 and crippled up enough just walking to the car at times is rough. Don't put it off til you get too old or too sorry a condition to go.

I'm still very strongly planning to get over to Australia's NT for a buff shoot, then play tourist a bit and try for a sambar, some pigs and whatever else happens along. Yes I know it will be a rough deal but, I'll do what I can.

Just need to heal from this next round of cutting. Couple months I'll be ready to do something again.

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
Retired from the military after 20, and trying to make enough of a dent that some of these hunts are more of a reality than fantasy.

Funny that I can't afford hunts as a married 40 year old I was doing regularly at 25.

Ain't that the truth Seth. I did a lot more hunting and fishing when I was a lowly E-6 bachelor on active duty than I did when I was a married Chief on active duty or than I do now as a married retired Chief with a full time job.

I'm not sure exactly how that works but the facts are what the facts are.

Posts: 1351 | Location: CO born, but in Athens, TX now. | Registered: 03 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TommyII,

I went on African Safaris, Hunted Europe extensivly and hunted pronghorns a couple of times as detachments would allow.

As a married man with 4 kids, I am lucky to make it to the range. Last night I paid a $450 bill for student fees for grade school kids.

I am happy though, especially when they are all being angels.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Im 81 next month and still hunting, Got a fat cow elk just East of Walsenburg Co. and always a mule deer or elk in Idaho, and a whitetail deer or two in Texas. Been to Africa more times than I can remember, but havn't been in about 3 years now, and may not go again, plane trips hurt, I can drive for days on end..I'll be back in Walzenburg next year if the creek don't rise, and Texas too, and just maybe a fishing trip to Alaska is in the near future..I can't imagine not hunting, but its bound to be just around the corner.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote