New
Find
Notify
Tools

win 25wssm on deer
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
anyone tipped over a deer with this caliber? i like the concept but, is it all hype?

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Ive taken down some good sized mulies with a 257 AI and the results were quite impressive, so I see no reason why the short mag would not be as well. Just like anything else, placing the bullet in the right place matters most.

Posts: 10160 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since the ballistics are nearly identical to a 25-06, it ought to be about as good in a shorter, lighter weight package as the 25-06 is. It will have fewer rounds in the magazine, but how many rounds do you you usually need for deer? One in the chamber and two in the magazine ought to be enough in most cases, so a 25 WSSM ought to be a fine deer round even though a lot of people don't like it or think that it is desirable or necessary.

Of all the WSSM rounds brought out so far, I think the 25 WSSM is the most practical and useful. The only one that could better it, and this is debateable for many, would be for Winchester to bring out a 6.5 WSSM, which would be something to compete with the 260 Renington and the 6.5 x 284 in the same types of rifles. Where I think the 25 and 6.5 WSSMs would really shine is in single shot pistols...Rusty.

Posts: 280 | Location: Fresno, California | Registered: 27 August 2005Reply With Quote