Find
Notify
Tools

Whats your 'Dream' hunt?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Mine?

Hmm... Being this the Big Game Hunting Forum, please do not consider Africa for your choice, as I will not mine.

I would have to say, for one animal, it would have to be tigers in India, but being as thats not possible, legally, I am going to have to go for Elk in the Rockie Mountains, somewhere near the Canadian border. I would use a D'Arcy Echols Legend synthetic in 340 weatherby with a 1x5x20 Schmidt and Bender illuminated reticle scope. This would be a pack in, pack out hunt utilizing mules/horses, drop camps with canvas wall tents, the whole works.

Posts: 935 | Location: USA | Registered: 03 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cchunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks Buell for an interesting topic.

My North American dream hunt would be for a Black Bear with a 338 RUM, Remington 700LSS and Zeiss 2,5-10x50 scope, using 250 grains Swift A-frame bullets. The hunt should take place in Canada.

Posts: 2121 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
<338Lapua>
posted
My NA dream hunt would be a Big Horn Sheep hunt. I would take my Dakota 76 in 330 Dakota with a Leupold 4.5-14, using 215 NP.

I have gotten to take two sheep here in TX, but both were Corsicans. I would love to be able to afford a Big Horn Sheep hunt.

Jim

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I'm torn between big bull elk and Kodiak bear.

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dall sheep and MT caribou in the NWT.

Posts: 493 | Location: GEORGIA, U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I LOVE Elk hunting but if the danger wasn't so real a Kodiak with a bow would be neat!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BISON BISON BISON! Under true fair chase conditions, there is no better hunt to be had in North America. Plains Bison in the lower 48 are great but Wood Bison in Canada borders on the unreal as you are hunting a 2400 pound animal that lives in sheep country. WOO HOO! I love those shaggy critters! [Big Grin]

Regards,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm fortunate to get hunt my favorite, Dall Sheep, just about every year, so I would pick Marco Polo as distant lands dream hunt. I'd probably take my Ruger No.1 RSI in 7x57mm with Leupold 1.5-5x.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most definately Kodiak Bear with my trusty compound bow...........and a really high tree stand..........and a guide with a BIG backup gun!

[ 10-21-2002, 21:59: Message edited by: m1rage ]

Posts: 117 | Location: Newark, Oh, USA | Registered: 14 April 2002Reply With Quote
<buffalo_buster>
posted
I have a hard time deciding between Kodiak Bear and Arctic Grizzly. If I was pushed against the wall and was forced to pick one I'd go for the Arctic Grizlly with a Win M70 CRF in .338 Magnum. Now come to think of it, what about a Yukon moose, a Rocky Mountain elk, a Dall sheep, a Desert Bighorn (well its a dream isn't it)?

Ahh so many dreams so few greenbacks [Frown]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Polar Bear with my .41GNR#2 or .411JDJ [Big Grin] BUT since I can't do that [Frown] 390+ class elk with the same guns. [Smile]

Posts: 218 | Location: Sand Hills of NC | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
I've backpacked for bighorns, mtn goats--- I hunt elk every year. I've hunted mtn lion, black bear, mule deer. Taken nice trophies--- but now I would really like to hunt with my Dad a few more times on the farm back in good old Pennsylvania. He's 81 really would like to see him with another buck. [Big Grin]

Posts: 601 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
<FarRight>
posted
Alaska for Barran Land Caribou, then a combined Dall Sheep/ Brown Bear hunt.

For Caribou and sheep I'd use my 7mm Rem Mag. For the bear, a .338 or .375 I don't own yet. Or in the recent future, I'd just put some 3" Brenekes in my 870 12 gauge.

posted Hide Post
Toss up bettween a quail hunt with a belgiam superimposed browning o/u and a few good dogs to point the coveys and a elk hunt on Horse back for a week with are own cook, and extra horses for all the gear and to haul the elk out.

for the Elk Hunt D'Arcy Echols Legend in 375 H&H and a 3.5 x 10 swaroski scope

Not much of a cowboy I would probaly fall off the horse but it would be a good experience

[ 10-22-2002, 04:47: Message edited by: mikga ]

Posts: 23 | Location: Near Clemson, SC | Registered: 06 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Seamus O'Grady
posted Hide Post
No Doubt, a Combo Caribou/Blacktail hunt on Kodiak Island. The rifle? For caribou, a Win. M70 Stainless in .358 STA. For deer, a Ruger M77 in 7mm STW.

Posts: 567 | Location: Washington | Registered: 21 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bo-n-aro
posted Hide Post
I would have to say a spot and stalk bow hunt for P&Y, hard horn caribou, in a place with plenty of terain. Since its a dream, it would be with my Bob Lee recurve!

Posts: 594 | Location: Plano Texas | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd like to have muley, elk, whitetail and pronghorn tags in several western states and just kick around hunting in the west with a good friend for a month or so.

Would also like to have all the appropriate tags and do a month long horseback hunt in AK, Yukon or BC for grizz, black bear, elk, caribou, moose and such.

Posts: 199 | Location: North Central Indiana | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
For North America? Full bag Alaskan hunt; Moose, Caribou, Dall, Brown and Black Bear. (Africa spoils me. I want a lot of animals in one trip.)

Africa? Lion and 2 Buffalo in Masailand and all the available plains game animals. Run into the Selous for an Elephant with long tusks and of course another Cape Buffalo.

I believe whatever I hunted I would like to round it off with a deer hunt back here in Texas ... sometimes it is the simple things you enjoy the most.

So many animals ... so little time. [Wink]

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
The biggest, meanest brown bear Alaska has to offer... preferably, with him being pissed off, hungry, and looking at me like his next minor snack... with an extra-special bad attitude because his last meal was a Democrat and he still hasn't gotten the taste out of his mouth.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's my goal to take Polar, Kodiak, Griz, and black bears with a revolver. I've taken griz and black bears, but used rifles on those hunts. A blizzard slapped us around on our first polar bear hunt. No bear. ~~~Suluuq

[ 10-22-2002, 15:27: Message edited by: Rusty Gunn ]

Posts: 854 | Location: Kotzebue, Ak. | Registered: 25 December 2001Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
My dream hunt is always my next one. This year that is an Elk hunt in Colorado, leaving Nov 6th. When I get back, I pack for a Wolf hunt in Alberta, leave Nov 30th. I hunt Colorado every year, and will until I can't, or get all five grandson's trained. I have hunted Alaska and taken a 91/2 ft. brownie, 14 Caribou, and a huge Alaska-Yukon Moose. I am booked again next year on Lake Iliamna, for Caribou and Wolf. The day I stop dreaming will be the day they put me in the ground. [Wink] Good shooting.

[ 10-22-2002, 20:11: Message edited by: phurley ]

one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
My dream trip is the Alaskan coastal brown bear hunt from the yacht. They fish for halibut when your not hunting bear and they also gather clams , crabs and oysters for meals. It would be a toss up between my .338 Mag or my .3oo RUM since they both hit with nearly the same energy. Probably would use the .338!!!

bowhuntr [Wink]

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of urdubob
posted Hide Post
Buell, after your last few post.... it would be you turned lose in wild with 100 hungry bears and 10 angry Jewish paratroopers with blood in their eyes.

urdubob

Posts: 945 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JAG
posted Hide Post
BLAHHHHHHH!!!!!

Bob, funny as hell!

JAG

Posts: 510 | Location: Hood River, OR | Registered: 08 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Two are in my mind.

I'm going to book a Dall Sheep hunt in 2004. NWT or Alaska. I want a full curl 40+. I'll take my 300 WSM with the 6 x 18 Leupold, and shoot the Winchester 150 gr. factory load.

The next up will be a little spookier. I want to hunt Cape Buffalo in 2006 with the same gun, in South Africa, half the scope and 200+ gr. bullet.

Posts: 13873 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
#1 has gotta be one of the great Bears with a 338-06, any Alaskan Bear over 800 lbs would do. #2 is a toss up between Caribou, Rocky Mtn Goat or Stone sheep.

Posts: 10170 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mostly good replies, gentleman, thanks..

Sincerely,

Buell

Posts: 935 | Location: USA | Registered: 03 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Polar bear hunt in Alaska, flying over the ice looking for a big boar, then landing ahead of him, just like the old days.

I'd go with my old boss, who used to take some dandies, in his Super Cub on skis.

Death to the Marine Mammal Act!

Posts: 99 | Location: Cordova Alaska | Registered: 07 September 2002Reply With Quote
<Fisher>
posted
My vote goes to a Kodiak bear hunt. It's a hunt I dream of often.

one of us
posted Hide Post
For those who have shown an interest, polar bear hunting is legal in Canada, and I don't think there is a more dangerous bear to hunt. No salmon to make the bear fat, everything it sees is a potential food source, and humans don't impress them much. "Mmmmm. Humans. Slow, easy to catch, soft on the outside, crunchy on the inside, and they come with floss.". What more could you ask of a great game animal. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My tastes are pretty simple. Barren Ground Caribou way up north in Canada and a Musk Ox as well. I could do both with either my 30-06 or 264WM. I like the cold.

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
I am not familiar enough with the hunting that North America have to offer, so I pass that continent. My dream hunt at the moment is stalking reindeer in Norway - a dream that I hope will come true in some years time. Also traditional deerstalkning i Scotland, not at least for the culture surrounding it.

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russell E. Taylor:
The biggest, meanest brown bear Alaska has to offer... with an extra-special bad attitude because his last meal was a Democrat

Russ

RET, what would you want to go and shoot a Democrat eatin' bear for??? [Wink]

My dream hunt would have to be with a handgun. Either a fair chase (truly wild) Russian boar hunt or Alaskan Grizzly.

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DennisHP
posted Hide Post
I'd love to take a brown bear in Alaska or Kamchatka.

Posts: 3931 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 September 2002Reply With Quote
<JimF>
posted
Mine would be the old "classic" Yukon pack trip that Jack O'conner wrote about. You know, 30-45 days, near virgin territory, sheep, goats, caribou, maybe a grizz or two. (don't forget the grayling in the creek)

The rifle would not matter much, but since it's on your dime, a Gentry or Miller 30-06 w/a Zeiss 4X.

Course......I'd have to time warp back to 1938 or so to do all that.

JimF

one of us
posted Hide Post
A Hunt I dream of, is one right here in Michigan at the Sanctuary Deer Ranch.

I would have to win this in a raffle or something, because I would never pay 5,000 to 7,000 dollars for a Deer hunt, but I sure would like to try this.

I toured the place a few years ago in January, and I saw a lot of Deer, but 17 of the bucks that had survived the season were absolute monsters, 170 B C + These Deer average 225 lb.

The head guide told me he really did not like anyone to hunt with less than a 270 Win, and preferably a 7 Mag or 300.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
An old-fashioned tent camp safari in East Africa with enough time and money to take the Big Five, plus plains game to feed the camp and provide baits. (No one said that this had to be within the realm of reality or feasibility, right?)

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmmn...

This is a tough one. I sorta hafta limit my dream hunt to something that is reasonably attainable for me.

1. American Bison
2. Mule Deer
3. Alaskan Moose

No Wait,

1. Mule Deer
2. Alaskan Moose
3. American Bison

No, no, wait

1. Alaskan Moose
2. Bison
3. Mule Deer

A large Moose mount is an impressive thing.

A nice Mule deer is the most attractive.

A hunt for a bison is one of those really intangible things. I would like to have a buffalo robe and I would like to have the meat. After reading many many accounts of the buffalo of the old west, I have an inner little thought at the back of my head telling me that this would be the thing to do.

Jim B.

Posts: 1115 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama | Registered: 07 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fischer:
RET, what would you want to go and shoot a Democrat eatin' bear for???

I don't believe in letting animals suffer.

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe, my dream hunt, would be any hunt I was able to go on with a girl that was good enough to be married too, and she thought the same about me. Of course if her was her 5000 acre ranch it would even be better. As I read the other replies, I was surprised to see nobody said one last hunt with their dad, or a hunt with their son on his first kill. I am not yet married, and I still am able to enjoy hunting with my father.

Posts: 115 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 07 May 2002Reply With Quote