New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nilgi hunting experiences?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hoping to do a Nilgi hunt soon and was looking for some input from those who have done it and where. I know we have them in south Texas but where else are they found in the US. It seems I have heard they were imported from India. Thanks, Dave

Posts: 119 | Location: Houston | Registered: 06 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
A couple of links you might find interesting.

Texas Nilgai Hunting

Nilgai

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 931 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
havent hunted them in yrs. I don't have a clue how many good blue are around anymore in South Texas. I heard that german meat company bought quite a few a few yrs back, but not sure.

I do know 20 yr ago, there were a lot of good blue bulls down south yrs ago. I understand they try to keep the numbers down but still some good bulls, but not the numbers of yrs past.

My Exfather inlaw told me many yrs ago the King Ranch brought Nilgai and axis deer in cotton trailers down FM 70 from Hiway 77 in front of my Ex Father inlaws house and had a flat and borrowed a tire off one of his cotton trailers.

Axis deer ended up behind the power plant in Flower Bluff...........Nalgai headed south down the Kennedy County Shoreline. Heck, my huntin partner has seen them across the Rio Grande in Mexico, they been in South Texas for a long time. They sure are hard on horses and fences. Cold weather is real hard on them.

I'd book a hunt directly with one of the big South texas ranches that hunts them regular, and I probably wouldnt hunt on the west side of Hiway 77 unless something has changed.

I doubt you will find them much north of Kleberg County, but I've seen them adversised for hunting in the Texas Hill Country, but I would figure the cold would get them.

I think some of the ranchs in NE mexico have a few and a fellow could probably find a hunt, but I wouldnt recommend that unless somebody knew the ropes.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Dave, check out my threads for my nilgai experinces and pm me if you have any questions.
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tp.../109101691#109101691

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tp.../855105321#855105321

Good Hunting!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote