THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Slug performance out of Rifled Shotgun barrel?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Slug performance out of Rifled Shotgun barrel?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I recently bought a Mossberg 24" rifled barrel made for the Remington M870, it looks like a well made barrel since it has thicker barrel than the 20" smooth bore barrel that I ahve.

I did a search for previous posts on this subject and there was very little.
Has anyone fired normal foster type or Brenke slugs through there rifled barrel. Someone told me the rifled barrel are made strictly for Sabot Slugs. I micrometered the bores at the muzzle of the mossberg and my std remington slug barrel and there is very liitle difference?

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Hastings which is on the same order as yours. I have only shot the sabots out of mine but get good accuracy, around 3 inches at 80yds.I don't think the foster slugs will work since they are smaller than the bore and probably to soft to hold the rifling even if they did touch the lands. The Breneke might work if the felt expands enough to bite into the lands. I think your best bet though is to use sabots. I know they work.

Posts: 740 | Location: CT/AZ USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Among other issues, the Brenneke slugs I fired through my rifled slug gun would occasionally keyhole. However that was in -my- gun, the only thing you can do is try out some different loads to see what your barrel does.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote