Find
Notify
Tools

bowhunting for beginners
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gents:

I have been shooting rifles for a half century, but never got interested in archery. Now I have a deer lease in Georgia, and note that the first month and a half of the season is for archers. This gets me thinking seriously about bowhunting!

What is the minimum in the way of equipment (and it cost) and practice needed before taking to the field after deer?

Thanks.

Posts: 283 | Location: Florida | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
KLN,

I have had the same thought (we'll now have 6 months of archery season in some Virginia cities and counties) so I asked a couple of friends -- bottom line from both was to ask around among bowhunting friends and find a good local shop that will set you up.

One friend went to his local shop, gave a big smile and said, "Let's not get all mystical, I want a bow that's as much like shooting a gun as possible." Worked out great for him!

John

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Probably the very best bang (twang?) for your buck, is to find a knowledgeable friend that is going to upgrade his equipment. Used equipment CAN be a very good deal. Be sure about your source though. I started off a few of my own buds this way. You get a working system at a very fair price. He will be familiar with the gear, and can help you get it set up the way you need. You will also have someone to shoot with, and a mentor to help you get started. Sort of a "Package Deal".

Posts: 353 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote
<rws2>
posted
KLN,
I suggest you go to Archery Proshop and let them set you up for the first time.Go to one that has an on premise range.Theres many things to consider when starting into archery like draw length,draw weight,arrow size (dia.,weight,length) theres a zillion kinds of rests,sights,peeps,releases,quivers,broadheads,target points,targets ect,ect.
At a Proshop with a range you can work out any bugs while there and most guys will let you shoot there set ups if you ask and give you more opinionated advice that you can imagine.
Archery is a blast with equipment that fits you and is properly set up.
Advice: Don't get caught up in the heavy bow draw weight syndrome a 55-60lb. compound bow will shoot clear thru any animal in North America let alone a small Ga. whitetail.Start comfortable and go up from there.It takes awhile to get your muscles built up to shooting a bow.
This all sounds really complicated but it all rather simple and you'll catch on so fast with Profesional help.
Also start middle of the road in price.Names to look at are Hoyt,Reflex,PSE,Mathews,Bear,Jennings and a zillion others.All will do the job "properly set up"
You'll be amazed at the acuracey and should be able to keep all your arrows easily in a 4" cirle from 20yds. with in a day at most and then you'll get better.Don't shoot at the same spot or you'll hit your other arrows and ruin then.Plane Jane aluminum is probably best for starters.
I would try to start with a $400.00 set up and see how I like it then you can get a $800.00 bow with $300.00 worth of assc.
Honestly a Proshop with a range is your best starting point,hope this helps

[ 06-29-2003, 21:14: Message edited by: rws2 ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rws2:
Advice: Don't get caught up in the heavy bow draw weight syndrome a 55-60lb. compound bow will shoot clear thru any animal in North America let alone a small Ga. whitetail.Start comfortable and go up from there.It takes awhile to get your muscles built up to shooting a bow.

Your last sentence sure must be the truth, I hope.

I was at a big sporting goods store the other day and pulled a bunch of the bows they had on display. I'm not a total weakling (I can do half a dozen pullups, etc.) but 60# was about it for me.

John

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
KLN
I totally agree with the advice rws has given you. Especially about the heavy bow draw weight syndrome. The toughest part of bowhunting is getting your bow drawn without being detected by the animal. Thats hard to do with your bow poundage set so high you bust a vein trying to draw it.
Start out slow, you'll find muscles you never knew you had when you first start but they'll build fast as you practice. Try to practice every day, even if it's only 10-15 shots.
You'll come out spending a lot less in the long run by getting a set up that is fitted and tuned to you.
Just wanted to add a couple of things,
Most proshop employees are avid bowhunters so dont hesitate to tell them what type of hunting you plan on doing, tree stand, ground blind, etc. That way they can help you set up your rig to better suit your needs.
Most proshops are excellent, but,If you go to a proshop and they insist you need the most expensive bow they have to be a good bowhunter or if they try to get your $$$ and get you out the door as fast as they can,,,, find another proshop.
One more thing, make sure you put a good coat of rust inhibitor on your rifle because once you get bitten by the bowhunting bug, it's hard to pull out the old fire pole. At least for me it is.
Best of luck, *Nut*

Posts: 268 | Location: God's Country, East Tex. USA | Registered: 08 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, gents. Very helpful. I wish I knew a bowhunter I could ask to tutor me.

Posts: 283 | Location: Florida | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just went through the same experience and rws2's response above is right on! I went to a good pro shop with an indoor range and the guy spent close to two hours with me. I ended up with the same set-up he used in Africa, PSE Enforcer set now at 50lbs. I was amazed that I was able to shoot 4-5 inch groups right off the bat, with good instruction! But that alone made it very encouraging. I didn't want to stop shooting I was having so much fun. But most of all I'm really looking forward to spending some time with bowhunters since hunting at all is fairly new to me and I consider myself lucky to have taken a few animals with a rifle so far.

-Sean

Posts: 161 | Location: La Honda, California | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
KLN - Most states havwe a State Bowhunting organization and many Archery clubs. Search them out and join. Go to the Bowsite.com and get on the Georgia state conference, I'm sure those boys will help you.

I argeee work with a good pro-shop. Do shop around a bit too. With a good pro-shop the support of a local club & some hard work on your part it is very reasonable to be bowhunting with in a year concidering you are already a hunter.

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote