THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    who use's a shooting stick for hunting

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

who use's a shooting stick for hunting
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Richard Wayne
posted
I was just wondering who all use's a shooting stick for hunting and what brand do you use.

Posts: 224 | Location: ontario,canada | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always take my sticks and I made them out of a couple of ash saplings. They are 36" long and sling over my shoulder on a leather boot lace.

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AZ Pete
posted Hide Post
I have carried Stoney Point cross sticks (the old kind that you have to put together) for about 12 years. They are very handy when you need them. The sticks I have are good for sitting and prone. But I have only used them sitting. For prone, I continue to use a day pack.

NRA Patron Life Member

Posts: 309 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of AKJD
posted Hide Post
I carry a pair of sticks that I made out of 48 inch long 5/8 inch wooden dowls bought at the local lumber store. They are tied together with parachute cord. I have had them for 7 years now and they have been used to take several moose and caribou by myself and hunting partners.

JD

Posts: 323 | Location: Fairbanks AK | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
I carry the Stoney Point shooting sticks. They also are used as walking sticks. I have killed 6 animals off of them. Big Grin

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am realy at a loss to know what, if any, benefit can be had from using a shooting stick.
Please some one tell me what is to be gained from using one? I have only ever once come across a fellow who had one, which on the day we were out together, he did not use.
I have an old bamboo Otter hunting pole which is light in weight and I immagine it would, if I were so inclined to use it, make an excellent shooting stick.

Come on Guys what am I missing? Don't say the deer 'cus I aint, well, not many get away.

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of AKJD
posted Hide Post
oldun,
I have used the shooting sticks that I made as a bipod when shooting from a sitting or kneeling position to provide a more stable platform. Examples: I was in a sitting position on the side of a fairly steep hill and used the sticks to shoot a moose. By moving the legs wider apart or closer together, I can easily adjust the height of the sticks. I also used the sticks when shooting from a kneeling position to shoot a Caribou up north of the Brooks Range in the tundra where there is absolutely nothing to use as a rest. The distance was far enough that it would have been a difficult shot without the aid of something to make my shooting position more stable. I will always try to get as close as possible, but when I do shoot I believe in shooting from as stable of a position as possible and the sticks are just a tool to help and they do extend the range in which I feel comfortable at taking shots. My sticks are low tech, just a couple wood dowels tied together, but they work.

JD

Posts: 323 | Location: Fairbanks AK | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used a pair of the stoney point cross sticks for a few years now, They come in very handy on occasion. They are really great for shooting from the sitting or kneeling position.

Posts: 671 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oldun,
If you ain't missing many, then sticks might help you not miss ANY.

anyway, if you like to shoot from a rest, they work well. Sometimes trees are miles away, as in antelope hunting. Sometimes they are 20 feet away but might just as well be miles away.

Sticks long enough to shoot with from sitting positions will allow you to shoot over a lot of brush and grass that shooting of a pack will not.

Anyway, they work from me and I've taken antelope as far as 260 yds out with iron sights using them. I would not try that without sticks as a minimum.

Brent

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used multiple types, and they have served extremely well.

I have used plain old sapling walking sticks, I have used telscoping hiking poles, and I have used the compact fold up Stoney point shooting sticks.

I reccomend them, they will make you a better shot for sitting and kneeling and standing positions if there is not a tree handy.

I prefer the prone position, but that is not always possible.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used a hickory sapling walking stick for years. Several years ago I tried cross sticks for my .54 when working up loads and have since changed to the Stoney Point telescoping walking sticks/bipod. I have found they are extremely stable from a sitting positon and have allowed me more versitility when shooting. During Deer season I usually hunt from my climbing stand which I use as a rest. Due to the area we hunt I am trying one of the popup tents....I have never been good a still hunting and there are way too many people in the woods for that style of hunting where we hunt. I had to pass up 2 shots last year because of distance (over 80 yrds with iron sights)and have also had to mount a scope on my .54 front stuffer.

Posts: 253 | Location: Texas by way of NC, Indiana, Ark, LA, OKLA | Registered: 23 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice thing about these forum, no lack of topics to expound upon. I have used home made cross sticks made from hickory and oak. For sitting they are extremely solid especially with my heavier Sharps rifles. I own and use Stony point x-stix that break down with shock cord. They are pretty good with a 10 pound scope sighted bolt gun sitting but I recommend making yourself the third anchor point by grasping them with your support hand at the point where they cross. Since I'm heading to Tanzania next year I bought a set of the Stony Point telescoping three point tripod system to use for standing shots. As we all know it seems that the vast majority of shots shown on video invariably have your faithful tracker/scout setting up a tripod for bwana before he cuts loose. Obviously poor offhand shots from unpracticed American urbanites endangers everyone in the gun fight and there is a lot of African bush where sitting or prone is not practical. So I have started practicing in ernest with this tripod. As of right now, I don't like it worth a flip but it takes some getting used to. I am more stable using a chokecherry moses stick and grabbing the forend of the rifle or leaning against something standing up. I don't find the extended Stony Points as rock steady as I'd like and I next intend to buy some 5/8 dowel 72" tall and wrap them with some kind of cord. It looks like that's what most of the PH's are doing in Africa althought the Stony Points are starting to show up. I have seen several of the telelscoping bipods so you might try those an use your support hand for the third anchor point. Think I'll go practice some more.

Posts: 442 | Location: Montana territory | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brent,

If you aint had an animal get away on you, you aint done a lot of stalking.
sofa

I think the recreational stalker should use what ever helps him shoot straight, hunt in a safe manner and enjoy his day in the field. If sticks help with that, then, as we say down here, Goodonya. Wink

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a firm believer in shooting sticks. I use the Stoney Point folding model sticks. They work great and fold up nicely to put out of the way (I keep mine on my belt). Sticks are the next best thing to a portable bench!

Doug

Posts: 294 | Location: Waunakee, WI USA | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I use shooting sticks...two 3/8 dowels 3 ft longcrossed at 30 incges and taped together with brown duct tape...

I have taken 5 animals off them...in fact I have not missed when using them..I use them for sitting and kneeling work.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10133 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can´t imagine hauling anything 36" long that I might, or might not, need. I packed an aluminum telescoping walking stick on a Dall sheep hunt a year ago. I left it at camp after the second day. I´ve been hunting, and comfortably killing game for 45 years. Shooting sticks sound nice if someone else carries them for you.

Posts: 13859 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Kensco,

Hope you realize the shooting sticks weigh about 6 ounces

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10133 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The weight isn´t the issue obviously. If they aren´t telescoping they aren´t handy to carry. If they are telescoping they aren´t handy to use. I haven´t found value in them to date.

Now if my PH wants to slip them under the gun on buffalo next year I´ll be happy to use them, but I won´t carry them.

To me it is somewhat like a bipod. I bought one for pronghorn in 1997 and I haven´t used it since, not a lot of value.

Posts: 13859 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Richard Wayne
posted Hide Post
Thank's guy's, i was just curious to see how many hunter's use them. I was at my buddy's range on his farm where i have been practicing shooting free hand. I personally will be using a shooting etick for my moose hunt.(hunt clear cut's).Just for some fun , ask your hunt'n buddy's , who shoot these heavy magnum tack driver's on a bench, to stand up and try it freehand at 100 yd. target. I think after a couple of shot's it will show who need's a shooting stick and who don't, or a lot of practice at shooting freehand. Thank's again for the info. Rick.

Posts: 224 | Location: ontario,canada | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldun:
I am realy at a loss to know what, if any, benefit can be had from using a shooting stick.
Please some one tell me what is to be gained from using one? I have only ever once come across a fellow who had one, which on the day we were out together, he did not use.
I have an old bamboo Otter hunting pole which is light in weight and I immagine it would, if I were so inclined to use it, make an excellent shooting stick.

Come on Guys what am I missing? Don't say the deer 'cus I aint, well, not many get away.

I have used my shooting sticks as a walking stick. I was in Alaska and it was worth it's weight in gold. Also like mentioned before, when you are in the tundra and the ground you are on is like a swamp and you want to get a good footing when aiming, the sticks help steady the gun when shooting. Great for long range shots , when being as steady as you can to make a clean shot.

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am an old backpacker and a walking stick was my best buddy on hikes. While hunting I use a Stoney Point tripod as a walking stick, leaving the legs together while walking. By simply spreading the legs I have a good shooting platform if needed. The telescoping legs adjust to a fine resting place for my binoculars while sitting and glassing. I like the tripod better than the bipod, I used for two years, because by moving the third leg forward or backwards you can quickly adjust the height without fooling with the telescoping legs. The bipod was a casuality of an Elk hunt when my grandson used it as a set of pulling handles on half a cow, and it worked quite well, until the load limit was exceeded. Another use of the tripod was discovered in a whiteout snowstorm with a simple tarp thrown over the pod as an emergency shelter, it was worth it's weight in gold at the time. thumb wave Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Kenseco,

I suspect you are too set in your ways...a 36 inch stick is nothing...very hadny things as P Hurley described.

I have now swithced to 4 footers and use them as a walking stick

Mike

posted Hide Post
I use a pair similar to the Stoney Point ones and they telescope from about 30" to 72"..

It takes time to get used to using and carrying sticks, but once you do, they can be a real bonus.

Also it depends on your style of stalking..If your used to carrying your rifle in your hands and snap shooting fleeing deer, sticks would be of little benifit.

Regardess of the cover or terrain, I carry my rifle slung. My hands are then free to use by bino's (also steadied by my sticks)..Progress is slow and methodical and the idea is to end up taking a shot at stationary deer...If the deer is off and running, I make no attempt to shoot it..

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
quote:

In addition to extending the range at which one can make an accurate shot on game in the field,
shooting sticks serve to steady binoculars when evaluating an animal at long range (especially when mirage is boiling), move thorny brush aside on the trail and can be used to probe for poisonous snakes that might be concealed on a trail through tall grass. (Lots of thorns & more than a few rattlers here in S. Tx.)

Also, helps support the heavy rifle in a "ready" position, for extended periods of time, when stalking game in close cover and you have been "busted" by either the animal being stalked or another not previously seen.

My offhand sticks (bipod type) are about 5' long, made from the rubber coated steel tubing garden stakes available at many garden centers and tied together w/parachute chord and weight almost nothing.

When coyote calling, a 3' set is used from sitting position, holding the rifle at the ready and reducing movement necessary to bring the rifle to bear on an approaching dog.

With a bit of practice, shooting sticks are about as close as you can get to benchrest accuracy from field shooting positions.

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 931 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by oldun:
Brent,
If you aint had an animal get away on you, you aint done a lot of stalking.
sofa
QUOTE]

Oldun, I reckon I can hold my own. I'd not wager a hell of a lot against me in any event.

Brent

one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
I own several sets of "shooting sticks" of various lengths and haven't found a use for them yet.

Don't get me wrong... I like gadgets including GPS, radios, etc....

But I have yet to find even one use for shooting sticks deer hunting in the southeast.

When I hunted Colorado and Texas I just sat down if I had time and put my elbows on my knees and shot. Otherwise I shot with no rest.

If hunting small game I guess they could be useful.

I dunno... I guess I can safely say that they are the hunting gadget that get's less use than any other I own. NONE!

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 8MM OR MORE
posted Hide Post
I get the feeling that shooting sticks are used in a manner and for purposes that perhaps are not commonly found while hunting deer in the USA. If you intend to ever use shooting sticks, I get the feeling that using them constantly for hunting has a good impact on being able to use them in other places. One factor in them is the height of cover where you are hunting, perhaps someone that has African hunting experience could comment. If I were ever to need to use them, I wouldn't want the first time to be the lesson..

Sacred cows make the best burgers.

Good Shooting!

Posts: 1944 | Location: Moses Lake, WA | Registered: 06 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
8mm,

Yep.. In Africa it sound like they're used so much that they're needed.

I hope to make an African trip or two one day and will do some extensive practice with shooting sticks before I go.

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
I bought one from Cabelas it is a single stick so far I have not had any luck using it, but I also need more practice. My friend took an old plastic snow shovel removed the scoop part and cut the handle where it made a nice U shape to sit his rifle in. It cost him practically nothing since it was used and broken. He took a large Buck at over 250 yards using the improvised stick and sitting on a small folding chair. thumb

The only chance I had was at running 3 Running Deer 2 of which did not run fast enough to out run my 300 Win Mag at 3400 fps.

I am still looking for a snow shovel to cut down for the upcoming Muzzle loading season. Big Grin

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
If you want to duplicate the kind of shooting sticks used in Africa, try this.

Shooting sticks are widely used in Africa. Some PHs use bipod shooting sticks and some use tripod shooting sticks. You can make your own and acquire invaluable practice before you go. Go to a home improvement store or garden department and buy five bamboo poles (6 feet long poles) along with a two vacuum cleaner belts (Eureka F&G size). Your total cost should be well under $20.00. To make the tripod shooting sticks, put three poles together and wrap one of the belts around the poles three times. Roll the belt down about 6 inches from the top. Use the same procedure for the bipod set, just wrap the belt around the poles four times.

You may want to wrap the top portion of the shooting sticks with something soft (leather, cloth, etc.) so as to protect your rifle. I have also seen tripod sticks where one of the poles (above the belt) has been cut off, so as to make it easier to support your rifle.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Swede44mag:
I bought one from Cabelas it is a single stick so far I have not had any luck using it, but I also need more practice.
I am still looking for a snow shovel to cut down for the upcoming Muzzle loading season. Big Grin

I couldn't find any good bamboo in local garden centers, but used their rubber coated steel tubing stakes and parachute chord to make the bipod sticks shown below.

These are the berries when hunting with a heavy rifle (muzzle loaders or centerfire), allowing you to stand motionless for long periods of time, if necessary, during a stalk. Not to mention the additional range it gives you in making an accurate shot.

Have never used the tripod sticks, but imagine the more legs used, the more stable the position. I would think the single stick would be a bit "wobbly", windage wise. The bipod is quite stable with a bit of practice, as I am sure would be the tripod.

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 931 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can only imagine using sticks on Coyotes where I am sure of where the animal will approach (from downwind) and I have time to set up accordingly. Otherwise they are just one more thing to get in the way especially in rugged terrain.

If I can't use a tree/bush/ground which is much faster to set up on than sticks, then a sling in proper prone or kneeling positions, or a standing silhouette position is what I use. With practice I am as good if not better without sticks. I dry fire practice at least a couple times every month for 15min in my back yard. I shoot some silhouette competitions each year before hunting season, and when I am hitting the rams (about the size of Elk vitals) regularyly @ 500m standing without sling, then I know I am ready for ANY ethical shot I need to make.

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Deke, around here regulation 500 m rams as way way larger than any elk vitals on bulls that I have shot.

Brent

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a set of stoney point telescoping bipod(up to 36"), they work great for my usage. I like them better than an attached bipod due to using a ATV Gunboot during the season and they are lighter/easier to carry than a traditional bipod that is attached to your firearm. I knock them down and strap them to my daypack, no carry issues from my perspective.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brent,

I might have to measure the lungs/liver/heart combo of my next Elk, but with a ram being the size of my torso, an Elk being three time bigger than me, an Elk probably having proportionally bigger lungs/liver/heart than me because he uses them more than me, I figured the rams would be a good representation. Maybe my Elk are just bigger than yours..... Big Grin

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote