THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    What about the .330 Dakota for Big Game hunting?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What about the .330 Dakota for Big Game hunting?
 Login/Join

One Of Us
posted
Please tell me about the 330 Dakota.

It seems to be a great hunting cartridge in a hunting rifle of about 8.5-8.75 pounds, 24" barrel, with scope.

I would like to use it in B.C. and Alberta for hunting elk, sheep, moose, mulies, mountain goat, black bear with the occasional encounter or combo hunt for Grizzly or Brown bears on the coast. Currently, I am using the .300 WSM with excellent results (but have not tackled big bears or had any really close encounters...yet... to warrant anything bigger). All shots should be under 300 yards, but I have killed caribou out to 400yards(.300WSM)and would do so with this cartridge (on elk, moose), provided the right circumstances.

Here is what I found on the .330 Dakota:

1.the published velocities (210gr.@3200fps, 225gr.@3000, 250gr.@2900) are between a .338 win. mag. and a 340 wea. (or almost identical to 340 wea factory loads)- so less recoil than the 340 wea. and about as much as you'd want in an 8.5 pound rifle.

2.It fits a standard length action- so a shorter bolt stroke than the .338 rum or lapua or 340 wea.- this would be good for a quicker follow-up shots on bear or maybe a slightly stiffer action? I would use a Model 70 action.

3. It has no belt, unlike the .338 win. mag or 340 wea. which might make it slightly more accurate and smoother functioning

4. Brass is made (apparently) by Norma, so quality brass is available- yes, I know it is expensive but that is fine for a hunting rifle

To this end, will it fill a useful niche between my .300 WSM and a 375 wea. that I am building? Or will the .300WSM and .375 wea. have me covered - the .375 wea. for combo trips that might include Grizzly or Brown Bears or where hunting in thick, "bear" cover. BTW, I am not looking for an excuse to buy another rifle right now, but please be honest in your appraisal of this situation as that would be my next project

So, what do you think or know about the .330 Dakota and will it fit between my .300 WSM and a 375 Wea. hunting battery?

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, it is a PITA to get cartridge components shipped up here. I would probably have to order a lifetime supply of brass ahead of making the rifle. Then again, I know of one supplier that can order on demand with about a 2-3 month lead time

The 340 wea. brass idea is interesting; however the cartridge just doesn't have any appeal to me

Thanks and keep the info and opinions coming.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been using the 330 Dakota for about 5 months now. Taken it to Africa twice loaded in 250 grain. Taken 10 animals with it, all one shot kills, and all dropped in their tracks, save one zebra which went 50 yards. I have been very impressed with the load, the workmanship, and the accuracy of the gun...little felt recoil; what more could I ask for?

This fall, I will be using 200 grains hunting in N. America. I have no reservations whatsoever.

Posts: 192 | Location: Norman, OK USA | Registered: 01 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I have A 7mm Dakota & think the cartridge designs are very good. The .330 may be the best of the lot, .340 wby. bal. in a std. action w/o a belt. Some day I may have to get one.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CanadianLefty

Your name suggest you are in Canada

As such I would be very wary of any calibre with potential difficulties with brass and because of the export licence problem for getting stuff out of America.

If you wanted a big 338 then given you have a 375 Wby I would think a 340 Wby would be the way to go as you could just by all 340 cases and neck 'em up or neck the 375s down.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 330 built on an M-70 Stainless Action. Neat cartridge but the M-70 needs a little tweaking to feed right. For 250's I think 2800 to 2900 is more realistic which is about what you'd get in a 340 weatherby in a 24" barrel. Midway has started carrying the brass which is expensive but lasts forever.
Mine is extremely accurate as long as I hold it steady. Off the bench it will tend to get your attention.
If you can get brass and a Dakota rifle I think it's a much nicer than any Weatherby rifle in 340 Weatherby. I like the Dakota rifles and think the 330 is a little more efficient and easy to load for than the 340.......DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The .330 Dakota is a better all around cartridge than the .300 WSM and near enough to the .375, that with bullets appropriate for the game hunted, you could handle whatever crossed your path. If Africa is in your future, then maybe the .375 would have some value as it is the minimum size for dangerous game. If you decide on the big bears, you might want something a bit larger than a .375 anyways.

Posts: 694 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA | Registered: 09 January 2001Reply With Quote