THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    7-08/120 X bullet takes out moose (video)

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

7-08/120 X bullet takes out moose (video)
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted
I guess the notion that something huge is needed for moose is questionable?

moose kill

Incidently, here is a twist on proper bbl break-in for long range shooting:

I wouldn't do this.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
$5 says its one of those AK freaks from 24hour campfire.
short of the jollyroger on the stock and i have his number. Wink

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
could be...pretty sure I had seen it before somewhere. it was emailed to me

One of Us
posted Hide Post
same guy. a real A-hole.
see the stock in this vid...
pinky

we've had words on occasion. arrogant self inflated know it all former lumberjack.

i would have won the fiver, heh?

see any hearing protection on the 3 year old?
how bout some earplugs dad?

he needs it for the vulgar language as much as the rifle shots.

my favorite is when he tells his daughter "deer hunting beats the shit out of school". I guess the world needs barmaids too.
nice parenting.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Not too popular of a guy huh? Easy to see why that may be from seeing a few of his videos.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc:
Not too popular of a guy huh? Easy to see why that may be from seeing a few of his videos.

hes a regular hero over at 24hrCF.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cavemen killed mastodons with sharp sticks! Big Grin
Does that mean it is the best weapon?
Given time and enough stabs, shots or bangs with a rock, anything will kill anything but it seems a lot of cavemen were killed to get some meat. If the small caliber toy was good enough, why do we need the larger guns?

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
The scandinavians regularly shoot moose with a 6.5mm calibre, I don't see what the issue is with the 7-08 apart from his choice of bullet weight. I probbaly would have chosen the 150gr-170gr.

As for the other stuf, I'm with you guys.

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
That guy's a legend in his own mind, truly. And yeah, he's a former 24HCF poster. He got tossed after spewing all manner of racist bile, much directed at me. A real class act. He actually posted pics of his young kids with their eyes taped to appear Asian. Great example. As he was essentially worshipped by many over there ( Confused ), it created quite a stir.

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what was his handle on 24hrcf?

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBGuy:
what was his handle on 24hrcf?

Big Stick, or Big Shtick, as I referred to him.

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know for a fact that its no great feat to kill an animal with sub calibers..All you have to do to be 100% successful is change your hunting methods to suit the caliber used..I can kill moose with a .22 L.R. by getting within 30 yards and shooting him in the brain..I don't see it as anything spectacular, other than it takes stalking skills and a bit of luck and the ability to accept failure as part of the equasion and proceed with your hunt.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 7-08 with 120 grain x bullets is not exactly a popgun.
When you consider that it is no real feat to get a 120 triple shock running 3100 fps with a retained weight after expansion of 95% or better.

How many would hesitate have complained if this guy had been shooting a 300Win with 180 grain partitions?
I have never recovered a partition that retained over 70% no matter what it hit.
Which would be roughly 125 to 130 grains retained weight.
Yes you would have a more explosive damage channel through the lungs if you stuck it there as when the nose gets wiped off it messes things up rather nastily.
However if he had been shot in the shoulder , as he was with the xxx then almost all of that damage would have been expended into the shoulder meat and bone.
If I am not mistaken in the video the 120 grain took out both shoulders, and probably either exited or was under the hide on the off side.
The partition would most likely not have exited either due to the elasticity of the hide.

So one so called sub caliber took out both shoulders and whacked the moose.
A magnum with a much heavier conventional bullet would have most likely took out both shoulders and whacked the moose.

I personally do not see what is the big deal.

He got within easy shooting range, took an unhurried shot at an unaware animal and hit him exactly where he wanted, and got the desired result.
Sounds like a good hunter to me.

Is he a foul mouthed heathen with a total lack of class and the respect that many of us give to the hunt and to our game?
Yes he appears to be.
But he is an effective and able heathen, I have to give him that.

(When I was a kid my father used to tell me that God hated a coward, I finally realized he has even less use for a fool.)

Posts: 887 | Location: Northwest Az | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bucko:
A 7-08 with 120 grain x bullets is not exactly a popgun.
When you consider that it is no real feat to get a 120 triple shock running 3100 fps with a retained weight after expansion of 95% or better.

How many would hesitate have complained if this guy had been shooting a 300Win with 180 grain partitions?
I have never recovered a partition that retained over 70% no matter what it hit.
Which would be roughly 125 to 130 grains retained weight.
Yes you would have a more explosive damage channel through the lungs if you stuck it there as when the nose gets wiped off it messes things up rather nastily.
However if he had been shot in the shoulder , as he was with the xxx then almost all of that damage would have been expended into the shoulder meat and bone.
If I am not mistaken in the video the 120 grain took out both shoulders, and probably either exited or was under the hide on the off side.
The partition would most likely not have exited either due to the elasticity of the hide.

So one so called sub caliber took out both shoulders and whacked the moose.
A magnum with a much heavier conventional bullet would have most likely took out both shoulders and whacked the moose.

I personally do not see what is the big deal.

He got within easy shooting range, took an unhurried shot at an unaware animal and hit him exactly where he wanted, and got the desired result.
Sounds like a good hunter to me.

Is he a foul mouthed heathen with a total lack of class and the respect that many of us give to the hunt and to our game?
Yes he appears to be.
But he is an effective and able heathen, I have to give him that.

everytime i see a "skilled" kill on a vid clip i wonder " how many times did he miss or wound an animal and record over it?".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"everytime i see a "skilled" kill on a vid clip i wonder " how many times did he miss or wound an animal and record over it?".

Now in all honesty this just sounds like sour grapes..
I dang sure am not a fan of his attitude, but to say this about a fellows hunting skill seems a tad unfair.
You can always speculate about the things that you can't see, but from what I can see I don't think that his hunting skills are the problem.

(When I was a kid my father used to tell me that God hated a coward, I finally realized he has even less use for a fool.)

Posts: 887 | Location: Northwest Az | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Actually there is an equally controversial assumption in that statement that tends to bother me a bit. ie; inferring that when using a smaller calibre more skill is needed.

If using any of the smaller centrefire "Deer Calibres" read 6mm/6.5mm/7mnm you require no less skill or precision than if shooting at the same animal from the same place with a 300-338win mag or bigger.

All rifle shooting for big game, (or any game for that matter) should be all about precision and skill, and many people would shoot a 7-08 better than any of the magnums.

I don't think the magums are there to provide a greater margin for error.

Rgds,
FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fallow Buck:
Actually there is an equally controversial assumption in that statement that tends to bother me a bit. ie; inferring that when using a smaller calibre more skill is needed.

If using any of the smaller centrefire "Deer Calibres" read 6mm/6.5mm/7mnm you require no less skill or precision than if shooting at the same animal from the same place with a 300-338win mag or bigger.

All rifle shooting for big game, (or any game for that matter) should be all about precision and skill, and many people would shoot a 7-08 better than any of the magnums.

I don't think the magums are there to provide a greater margin for error.

Rgds,
FB

what?
dont most people buy magnums cause they knock down game that would normally run away? stir

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot my moose last year with a 125 grain...... broadhead that was doing a about 250 feet per second. These animals really aren't that hard to kill, if you shoot them where they need to be shot.

I found that the hardest part of moose hunting is finding enough friends to help after the moose is dead; 2 hour hike from the truck.

Posts: 787 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote